Pot smoking in parks

PAylor

On 8/10/2022 at 4:44 PM, sandsys said:

Wrong. Lots of doctors prescribe it for pain. I know some who take it by prescription.

I refuse to talk to anyone one using a phone while driving, though. I simply hang up if I hear road noise after telling them to a call me when they re parked.

Linda

How do you know that the person is not using hands free speaker phone when driving? That's legal.

As far as smoking pot, last night we could smell the strong odor coming in our RV window, so we turned off the fan and closed the windows. Being a CDL holder and sometimes required to take drug test, I don't even want to be exposed to second hand pot smoke. A case of inconsiderate neighbors!

Edited by gjhunter01

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, gjhunter01 said:

How do you know that the person is not using hands free speaker phone when driving? That's legal.

Legal does not mean safe. Dave's sister has learned to quickly tell me her husband is driving. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

8 hours ago, sandsys said:

Legal does not mean safe. Dave's sister has learned to quickly tell me her husband is driving. :)

Linda

So where do you go with this concept?? Is talking to a passenger also not safe in your opinion, how about breathing, is that a distraction to driving? LOL

Linda, I'm just playing with you here, not serious, driving does needs to be taken serious.

Edited by gjhunter01

5 hours ago, gjhunter01 said:

So where do you go with this concept?? Is talking to a passenger also not safe in your opinion, how about breathing, is that a distraction to driving? LOL

Linda, I'm just playing with you here, not serious, driving does needs to be taken serious.

I have been known to ask passengers to stop talking while I navigate something that requires attention. And when I was driving a group of teenagers, they quickly learned I would pull over to the curb and stop if they got rambunctious. When a couple got loud, I could sometimes hear a third saying, "Guys, she's going to pull over." As you can tell, I do take my driving seriously. :) 

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

8 hours ago, sandsys said:

I have been known to ask passengers to stop talking while I navigate something that requires attention. And when I was driving a group of teenagers, they quickly learned I would pull over to the curb and stop if they got rambunctious. When a couple got loud, I could sometimes hear a third saying, "Guys, she's going to pull over." As you can tell, I do take my driving seriously. :) 

Linda

I drove school bus for Mission, TX the last 3 winters, in that job I learned to tune out the chatter and just drive. One time a fight broke out on the bus, so I hit the brakes (lucky for me no one got hurt). Sometimes you do what you have to do!

My pet peeve is when I see cops driving while they are talking on their cell phone and they have their lap top in full open position. 

22 hours ago, gjhunter01 said:

My pet peeve is when I see cops driving while they are talking on their cell phone and they have their lap top in full open position. 

The laptop is used for a number of things while underway including data lookups that used to require a radio call to dispatch. Cars equipped with license plate readers for instance, can display near real time information when a stolen plate is spotted. Dispatch can also send call out data such as addresses and background information without sending it over the airwaves. I think that's much safer than the days when the patrol cars often had notepads attached to the steering wheel for jotting down addresses, phone numbers, etc. from radio calls while underway.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

2 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The laptop is used for a number of things while underway including data lookups that used to require a radio call to dispatch. Cars equipped with license plate readers for instance, can display near real time information when a stolen plate is spotted. Dispatch can also send call out data such as addresses and background information without sending it over the airwaves. I think that's much safer than the days when the patrol cars often had notepads attached to the steering wheel for jotting down addresses, phone numbers, etc. from radio calls while underway.

I understand the need for cops having this equipment, but why are they allowed to operate a vehicle in a distracted situation. All people are dangerous driving in distracted situations, cops are no different, they are not super human!! Besides that, hands free voice activation technology is available.

Edited by gjhunter01

8 hours ago, gjhunter01 said:

I understand the need for cops having this equipment, but why are they allowed to operate a vehicle in a distracted situation. All people are dangerous driving in distracted situations, cops are no different, they are not super human!! Besides that, hands free voice activation technology is available.

You really should do a patrol ride along sometime if your jurisdiction offers it. I believe your thinking might change significantly. While underway, LEO's are not madly typing away on their laptop keyboards. They do check the screen from time to time though, when calls or alerts come in. Is looking at the laptop screen really any different than looking at the screen on many current car dashboards that display all sorts of operating data as well as GPS maps,etc.? Some departments are moving to demountable tablets though, that are likely a bit safer since they can be steering wheel mounted requiring less eye/head movement.

Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

You really should do a patrol ride along sometime if your jurisdiction offers it.

That is something everyone should do occasionally as you will learn a great deal about what really happens, mostly good but probably some that don't make you happe too. If your community offers one, take the citizen's police academy as well.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

That is something everyone should do occasionally as you will learn a great deal about what really happens, mostly good but probably some that don't make you happe too. If your community offers one, take the citizen's police academy as well.

Good point, Kirk! I hadn't thought about the citizens police academies or similar where offered. I did the NYPD Academy in Queens many years ago as an Army MP liaison from Ft Jay on Governors Island, but I know a lot has changed since those days of course.

Dutch

DW has a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited. Simply changing radio stations is difficult for me while driving, so I don't. To change radio stations I must look at the center console screen, select the radio icon, then look for FM,AM,or SIRIUS icon, touch that, then scroll sideways to locate the preferred station and touch that. Then if I'm using the GPS function I must manually touch the icons to return to that. There is no voice control. To me that's nuts.

I might have been able to accomplish all that when I was 30, had that technology been invented and used. but at 80, no way.

Oh, just to keep  this on topic, no I'm not smoking anything. 😁

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

3 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I might have been able to accomplish all that when I was 30, had that technology been invented and used. but at 80, no way.

Ha . You might be able to do it , if you were .

Or , maybe you wouldn't care what's on the radio ? LOL

Edited by Pat & Pete

Goes around , comes around .

6 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

DW has a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited. Simply changing radio stations is difficult for me while driving, so I don't. To change radio stations I must look at the center console screen, select the radio icon, then look for FM,AM,or SIRIUS icon, touch that, then scroll sideways to locate the preferred station and touch that. Then if I'm using the GPS function I must manually touch the icons to return to that. There is no voice control. To me that's nuts.

Wow! I think I'll stick to my 11 year old RAV4 where I can control the radio by touch using my thumb on the steering wheel mounted controls.

Dutch

41 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I think I'll stick to my 11 year old RAV4 where I can control the radio by touch using my thumb on the steering wheel mounted controls.

My wife usually controls the radio, as well as the driver.  😉

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

22 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Wow! I think I'll stick to my 11 year old RAV4 where I can control the radio by touch using my thumb on the steering wheel mounted controls.

There is probably a way to manage all those controls via the steering wheel but i can't figure out the controls.

I gotta get my 1932 Chevy running, I can manage all its controls.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

There is probably a way to manage all those controls via the steering wheel but i can't figure out the controls.

I gotta get my 1932 Chevy running, I can manage all its controls.

Heh! There's 1936 Chevy 5-window coupe parked a few sites away from us. It's in good shape, and should look great when he gets the final paint on it...

Dutch

The driver must have some coordination when driving in rain; manual shifting and controlling steering wheel while using the left hand to operate the manual driver windshield wiper when accelerating.

At least I don't have to worry about tuning a radio_.

7 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

The driver must have some coordination when driving in rain; manual shifting and controlling steering wheel while using the left hand to operate the manual driver windshield wiper when accelerating.

At least I don't have to worry about tuning a radio_.

Me either . I think the radio was turned maybe twice in the last 13 years , Just to see if it worked . ;) 

Goes around , comes around .

Tuning radios, adjusting hvac and wipers, was distracting. Then just when you've found a channel on a trip it goes out of range and we had to start over. We made 8 track mix tapes then cassettes. We ripped mp3s to SD Cards in our Android phones which connected directly to our vehicle audio system. Then we streamed in our cars from our phones. Now our vehicles are connected and our hands free everything is shared between the car and the phone. Music is streamed via Tesla premium connectivity, and in the Subaru by phone to its Android Auto in dash screen. Nav is in the dash of both. I have a mic switch in the steering wheel that I can pretty much control much of the stuff just telling it. But no messing with wiper or HVAV controls for most mid range and up cars today as they are set it and forget it. My wipers come on as needed for sprinkles and increases or decreases speed automatically. It's not exclusive to any particular brand or propulsion systems in vehicles in the last five years or so. In dash screens Nav and entertainment centers are not new, just steadily automating things that used to distract drivers.

We were both LEOs at some points. I agree that ride alongs are eye openers. As well police departments need volunteer drunks to do nystagmus testing. Astounding how accurate they are. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nystagmus

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 8/31/2022 at 7:46 PM, gjhunter01 said:

I drove school bus for Mission, TX the last 3 winters, in that job I learned to tune out the chatter and just drive. One time a fight broke out on the bus, so I hit the brakes (lucky for me no one got hurt). Sometimes you do what you have to do!

cops are above the laws they are trying to enforce.  a leo is no better a driver than the avg driver out there, they are subject to all the same problems we are, and all the same distractions. just they are exempt.

And don't forget cars with vacuum operated wipers. I'll never forget my buddy pulling out to pass someone in his Rambler in a rain. Hey, stick your head out the window and let me know if someone's coming!

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

6 hours ago, packnrat said:

cops are above the laws they are trying to enforce.  a leo is no better a driver than the avg driver out there, they are subject to all the same problems we are, and all the same distractions. just they are exempt.

How many police academy high speed driving courses have you attended?

Dutch