Carefree Power Awning Question

We have a Carefree power awning on our 2019 Jayco North Point 5th wheel.  It extends/retracts fine but when it's extended and a slight breeze blows, and I do mean SLIGHT, it flaps and bounces up and down really bad.  Sometimes it will get blown up on one end only causeing a huge problem with trying to get it straightened out.  Is this awning supposed to have any kind of "stop" or something to keep it from bouncing up and down to allow us to have it out even when wind isn't blowing very hard"?  

Jim, Patti & Missy (black miniature Schnauzer who rules our lives)

Carefree has several designs but if it is the Travl'r model you have hit one of the design flaws in my opinion. The scissor action is poorly designed for self support. The other is the notches in the arms. Why would one design an arm with a notch and thus create a weak spot? We had this awning on an RV and after several hundred in repairs I was ready to install a manual awning. Then we sold that one and it was someone else's problem. It was super sensitive and I just never figured it out.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I've had the same issue. I tried tying down the ends with ratchet straps and ended

up bending one arm just like Chalkie mentioned.  I bent it back and beefed it up

with a 18" L x 1/2" W  x 1/8" flatbar riveted in 6 places. It's held up for 3 yrs so far.

Now I have a privacy screen, the kind where part of it slides into a groove on the

roller and the other part zips on.

I have the bottom of the screen held down with small bungy cords. It still bounces

but not as much.

Mine also was all herky-jerky extending and retracting until I polished the strut shafts

with steel wool and sprayed them with dry lube.

Kim and Betsy

2017 F450 Lariat

2017 Arctic Fox 35-5Z