A week in security (August 1 - August 7)

RV_

This Malwarebytes weekly security wrap has hot links to the hot security risks and fixes, then if you scroll down several other great articles here:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/blog/news/2022/08/a-week-in-security-august-1-august-7

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks for posting.
I think my wife experience a type of zelle scam, while trying to sell something on Facebook marketplace. They wanted to pay for the item, sight unseen and have some local friend pick up the item. It happened 2X from different locations, both out of state.

I've not heard of individuals being victims of ransomware. How prevalant is it?

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png                                             

On 8/9/2022 at 2:41 PM, franco-bolli said:

Thanks for posting.
I think my wife experience a type of zelle scam, while trying to sell something on Facebook marketplace. They wanted to pay for the item, sight unseen and have some local friend pick up the item. It happened 2X from different locations, both out of state.

I've not heard of individuals being victims of ransomware. How prevalant is it?

YW!

Sorry to hear your wife got scammed. She has lots of company in that I read years ago that 3% of these individual scams work and if they send out a million a day that is a lot of money.

Ransomware used to snag individuals but it seems to have evolved to attacking only large corporate and public institutions, Small and medium companies.

I use Malwarebytes premium and have run into websites that have malware and Malwarebytes stepped in and let me know asking if I wanted to proceed. Of course I do not. Despite knowing that they are legit the next day are fine again.

Here is a report on Ransomware: https://www.dataversity.net/5-ransomware-predictions-for-2022/#

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

fortunately, she asked before accepting the zelle offers and the loss of funds was avoided.

As far as ransomware goes, do you know what method they are using to effect the backups? Something hiding in RAM or the boot sector?
I'm glad to hear the common user isn't as likely to be affected as larger companies. 

Be prepared is a good moto.

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png                                             

Glad there was no loss of money - cheap lessons are good lessons in the school of hard knocks!

Don't get me lying, I don't know where the Ransomware code is set up or how anymore. I stopped cleaning out computers back 7 or 10 years ago. I am pretty much just a user anymore. I'd have to look it up too.

I post what gets my attention as I do read a lot of techie stuff daily. And I am about to post some surprising 180 degrees I have done in the last few months, one being finding and fixing the constant crashes my new top line AIO main system had. I lucked out, now have an even better system than I'd hoped and am keeping Windows 11.

You sound like you have some experience too.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998