The U.S. made a breakthrough battery discovery — then gave the technology to China

RV_

A possible good investment if we ever get it back.

The U.S. made a breakthrough battery discovery — then gave the technology to China

Excerpt:
"When a group of engineers and researchers gathered in a warehouse in Mukilteo, Wash., 10 years ago, they knew they were onto something big. They scrounged up tables and chairs, cleared out space in the parking lot for experiments and got to work.

They were building a battery — a vanadium redox flow battery — based on a design created by two dozen U.S. scientists at a government lab. The batteries were about the size of a refrigerator, held enough energy to power a house, and could be used for decades. The engineers pictured people plunking them down next to their air conditioners, attaching solar panels to them, and everyone living happily ever after off the grid.

"It was beyond promise," said Chris Howard, one of the engineers who worked there for a U.S. company called UniEnergy. "We were seeing it functioning as designed, as expected."
It took six years and more than 15 million taxpayer dollars for the scientists to uncover what they believed was the perfect vanadium battery recipe. Others had made similar batteries with vanadium, but this mix was twice as powerful and did not appear to degrade the way cellphone batteries or even car batteries do. The researchers found the batteries capable of charging and recharging for as long as 30 years."

Much more in the article:

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I haven't had time to read this properly thanks to vision issues but right off the top I would like to know who is actually responsible for it going to China and why. Then again maybe it would be better for my blood pressure not to know and I know it would be political so it can't happen here.

On 8/11/2022 at 10:46 AM, bigjim said:

I haven't had time to read this properly thanks to vision issues but right off the top I would like to know who is actually responsible for it going to China and why. Then again maybe it would be better for my blood pressure not to know and I know it would be political so it can't happen here.

Jim sorry you are having vision issues. I hope they are not permanent and can be remediated or recovered from. Keep me posted bud.

The short answer is the DOE in 2017 and DOE again with a transfer in 2021:

"The Chinese company didn't steal this technology. It was given to them — by the U.S. Department of Energy. First in 2017, as part of a sublicense, and later, in 2021, as part of a license transfer. An investigation by NPR and the Northwest News Network found the federal agency allowed the technology and jobs to move overseas, violating its own licensing rules while failing to intervene on behalf of U.S. workers in multiple instances."

From the link for the article I posted at the beginning.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks for the good article Rich, and for looking further. NPR is usually an excellent source. I've never known you to use confirmation bias and you use good sources with good fact based journalism too.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 8/15/2022 at 5:59 PM, RV_ said:

Jim sorry you are having vision issues. I hope they are not permanent and can be remediated or recovered from. Keep me posted bud.

I don't think it is a critical issue at this time and is a little intermitent. I have an appointment at the end the month. The worst is reading at times but it is hard not to worry a little. I do trifocals and they have always been troublesome. I never had much problem when it was just bifocals. It may even be cataracs getting worse.  I do have glaucoma also but seems to be in control with drops.

I hear ya bud. Are the docs saying cataract surgery might help?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Hope it's good news! Good luck Jim!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 2 weeks later...

Diamond Nuclear Batteries........No recharging and will last 20-30 THOUSAND YEARS! Check it out. A world changer! No need for any type of utility...Gas, Oil, Electric, Nuclear......Everything on the planet reunning on DNBs.......

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

3 hours ago, rbertalotto said:

Diamond Nuclear Batteries........No recharging and will last 20-30 THOUSAND YEARS! Check it out. A world changer! No need for any type of utility...Gas, Oil, Electric, Nuclear......Everything on the planet reunning on DNBs.......

😂🤣😂

The vanadium redox flow battery has been licensed for several years however. Got a link for DNBs? 😉

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998