South Dakota registration step by step

etcetera

I am a computer consultant, I travel all the time, 6 months in one state, 4 in another, ad infinitum, that's the nature of the business, IT is inherently unstable. I  do not own property in any state and am not married to any state. RV full-timing seems to fit well into that paradigm. 

So I want to register my RV in South Dakota. Don't care to get a DL there however. Not yet anyway, maybe at some point in the future.  I learned that there are 7 counties that do not require a DL from South Dakota.

Could someone post the step-by-step guide for registration in South Dakota, I understand I have to spend 1 night in the state, which is OK with me. I have to bring the title, my existing DL, my SSN and what else?  Some mail service?  I assume I don't need to bring the RV with me. Which I can't, as it doesn't have plates at the moment.

Thank you in advance.

9 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

All this is on the Escapees web site.  There's also information for Texas and Florida on the site.

https://escapees.com/education/domicile/south-dakota/

I already saw that. It's at least partially not correct in step 3, where it talks about DL application, it assumes the person wants to get the DL in SD which not true in my case. Therefore I need to address the scenario which does not entail DL from South Dakota.

Step 3: Prepare the driver’s license application, the vehicle registration, and voter registration forms.

Get on the South Dakota web site and print the forms and mail them in with the titles. You do not have to go there to do any registration. The only reason you have to go is if you want to get a drivers license. Get on the web site and do what they require it is very easy. Be careful listening to others because I have heard a few people that did and it is not always what you need. 

3 hours ago, Danfreda1 said:

Get on the South Dakota web site and print the forms and mail them in with the titles. You do not have to go there to do any registration. The only reason you have to go is if you want to get a drivers license. Get on the web site and do what they require it is very easy. Be careful listening to others because I have heard a few people that did and it is not always what you need. 

I see. Is it really that simple?

You did not mention why you are interested in South Dakota vehicle registration but not a DL.  Many of us picked SD because they make it very convenient for travelers and because of other advantages such as low insurance costs and no State income tax.  If you work in several different States during the year, you can end up with some complicated filing situations.  Having a residency in a State with no income tax would make that easier and you likely would pay lower taxes that way.  If you want to become a resident, you need to do more.  You would then need to visit, change insurance, change your banking and financial addresses and I would also recommend filing Form 8822 to change your IRS address.  Getting a South Dakota DL is an instant process.  Just turn in your old one and they will give you a new one within minutes.

21 hours ago, JimK said:

You did not mention why you are interested in South Dakota vehicle registration but not a DL.  Many of us picked SD because they make it very convenient for travelers and because of other advantages such as low insurance costs and no State income tax.  If you work in several different States during the year, you can end up with some complicated filing situations.  Having a residency in a State with no income tax would make that easier and you likely would pay lower taxes that way.  If you want to become a resident, you need to do more.  You would then need to visit, change insurance, change your banking and financial addresses and I would also recommend filing Form 8822 to change your IRS address.  Getting a South Dakota DL is an instant process.  Just turn in your old one and they will give you a new one within minutes.

I will think about the DL.

For now, I just want to get the vehicle (RV) registered in South Dakota. Having a DL from that state is not mandatory for that.

3 hours ago, etcetera said:

I will think about the DL.

For now, I just want to get the vehicle (RV) registered in South Dakota. Having a DL from that state is not mandatory for that.

Reach out to Americas Mailbox.  They are experts indoing what you are considering and being a user for many years, I can attest to their ability to complete the task with professional results.

Marcel

6 hours ago, rpsinc said:

Reach out to Americas Mailbox.  They are experts in doing what you are considering and being a user for many years, I can attest to their ability to complete the task with professional results.

X-2 on Americas Mailbox. call - ask whatever you need answered.  AM was there long before SKPs.

Before opening their own campground, AM was in Rapid City.  Now - still close by, in Box Elder.

BTW - having a DL from SD is your choice.  However some states (and LEOs) assume you are avoiding registration fees (and/or taxes) which are due to them - if your vehicle registration & DL don't match.

Plan ahead to have your ducks in a row for the "why" questions.

On 8/6/2022 at 1:54 PM, JimK said:

If you work in several different States during the year, you can end up with some complicated filing situations.  Having a residency in a State with no income tax would make that easier and you likely would pay lower taxes that way. 

I realize this is a thread about vehicle registration, but don't want to leave this hanging out there...

Maybe I'm misreading what you're saying, but you seem to imply that there can be a tax advantage to being a resident of a state without a state income tax for a person who works in several different states.  There's aren't any, other than the usual tax advantages a person who resides in a state without a state income tax enjoys (e.g., no state income tax on unearned income). 

If you're a resident of a state without a state income tax and perform work in a state that does impose a state income tax, you must file a non-resident state income tax return in the state(s) where you performed the work, and pay income tax based on that return (assuming you exceed that state's filing threshold). 

If you're a resident of a state that imposes a state income tax and perform work in another state that imposes a state income tax, as in the example of the person above, you file a non-resident state income tax return in the state(s) where you performed the work, and pay income tax based on that return.  BUT when you file your income tax return in your residency state, you can get a credit against your residency state's income tax for the tax you paid in other states. 

In both of these cases, whether you are a resident of state without a state income tax or a state with a state income tax, you pay the same amount of taxes to the states where you performed work. 

On 8/7/2022 at 3:52 PM, rpsinc said:

Reach out to Americas Mailbox.  They are experts indoing what you are considering and being a user for many years, I can attest to their ability to complete the task with professional results.

Thanks for the link. Looks like they handle registration, so at that point it's the matter of shipping them all the information they require, such as the title, etc.

Sorry about the font, apparently no way to shrink it.

https://americasmailbox.com/faq

- Are vehicle registrations/renewals being handled?

A - The County Treasurer has recently reopened to the public, and of course is still working daily with Americas Mailbox staff. Procedures may take a little longer than usual but we will continue to process all your new registrations and renewals as quickly as possible.

Edited by etcetera

On 8/7/2022 at 3:46 PM, 2gypsies said:

So..  what was your final decision on what kind of RV you bought? You had a long discussion about it going on for a long time.

A F550-based shuttle bus.  I know it will entail a lot of conversion work, will take me probably 6-12 months if I work alone, less if I hire someone. But, I want to build it exactly the way I want it. There are some things I want, some things I don't.

V10 6.8L gas engine, 52K miles, no rust, no dents. Hard to find in great shape.

I wasn't entirely sure if I wanted a more compact one, 18-22 passenger, they are so much easier to park but the 31-passenger one has so much more usable space. And I always run out of space. Removing the seats and mentally designing the interior before I start drawing. 
Then the next question is what to address first - probably the electric/solar component. There is so much to do. Not going to redo the floor or the ceiling, don't want to add any more weight.  Plus I am 6'3" and if I add another 1/2" of flooring, I may not fit in there.  Want a couch and a full size desk.

Registration is the essential first step, I can't do anything without it.

a7A4v3c.jpg

Y53aNBG.jpg

Edited by etcetera

30 minutes ago, bruce t said:

We converted a coach a few years back. I would advise addressing all your plumbing issues first. Electricity will go up hill but water won't. So less options for plumbing.

My last conversion required a macerator to pump gray water up over the axel to the dump outlet. If you can fit all your plumbing fixtures between the axels, you will be ahead of the game.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

There are a # of people who have recorded their bus/van conversions on YouTube.  They might be helpful for you in what TO DO and WHAT TO AVOID DOING.  No reason to repeat the mistakes that others have made and recorded, and it will likely cost you $ and time.  Certainly some videos will also be useful in sharing the results of certain incorporated items that are working some time AFTER those were included in the build as well as the opposite.

Marcel

I have not done my own conversion but did help 2 different frinds convert school busses so learned a lot, some of which has been valuable to an RV owner. I do agree with the comments that when you begin actual construction, plumbing should come first but, planning the layout must be done before you build anything and do that with plumbing in mind. Not only is it important to think of drains working by gravity but the location of the water tank, wather heater and waste tanks is also of critical importance to locating the plumbing. You do not want the shower at one end with the kitchen sink at the other or you would then have to run both hot and cold water as well as the drains the entire length of the RV. The size of each tank is partly determined by it's location. Those are also important to weight distribution, and that will effect the handling of the RV as well as keeping the GVWR in mind. One of the best innovations that I have seen in plumbing is that one of my frieds was able to locate his gray water tank about a foot higher than the black tank and he added a crossover connection between them so that he could dump about half ofthe gray water into the black tank if it was filling far ahead of the black tank, because his tanks were the same size. In most modern RVs that gray tank is significantly larger then the black, wihich is something that I would do. If it were me, I would want the gray to be at least 2 times the capacity of the black. That capacity may be a factor in where you locate the tanks.

It is also a common design factor to put at least the potable water tank centered, side to side and usually the black also. As you locate the tanks, keep in mind the weight that each one will add and the fact that you will typically have water in the potable tank even if the waste tanks are empty. If possible most RV designers center the tanks as much as possible.

We had 2 different class A's and both had the potable water tank under the bed as have both of our travel trailers. With the 1 class A that put the tank at the very rear and if we traveled with it full it meant that we could carry very few if any heavy items in the storage that was behind the rear axle without overloading it. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I built a small motor home and wanted to be able to drain quickly so we could use it for ice fishing.  To facilitate the drain lines and water lines we purchased all the plumbing parts and appliances before we built.  This allowed us to be exact on the placements. All of the water lines, hotwater tank and fresh water were set to drain by gravity by opening 2 valves.  

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

The size of each tank is partly determined by it's location. Those are also important to weight distribution, and that will effect the handling of the RV as well as keeping the GVWR in mind.

I had my converter place the fresh water tank directly above the gray water tank so I didn't have to shift other things to stay balanced as I used water. Then I put the 7 cf fridge opposite the tanks to offset the weight of the water. I hadn't realized how many things that need to be taken into consideration until I was designing my conversion van. But, I still had to store tools and canned goods in the passenger seat area since I didn't have the weight of a passenger to keep things balanced.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van