Any Starlink RV user updates?

Being using mine a little over a month an so far it is doing pretty good. Have the RV package so most of the time we are getting between 30 - 60 mbs. You do need a fairly clear area to not have blockage. We've been to 4 different campground across TN (Crossville, Parkers Crossroads), West Memphis, AR and MS north west at COE had service at all of them.

Ken....

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

I am looking forward to some pics from our members of what the RV unit looks like if mounted on the RV or off. I would expect some differences. Or are they just tripod mounted but the same in other respects like satellite dishes of old?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV,

It's the same unit they use for the home ones. The first time you hook it up you  have to be at the address you shipped it to and it will download an update to make it a RV unit. They say a mobile mount dish is coming.

Ken....

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

I think one thing that needs to be made clear for those new to the Starlink concept is that it does not use a "dish" in the traditional sense. The user terminal is a flat panel of phased array antennas that are electronically aimed "under the covers", so the only movement seen by users is the initial positioning of the flat panel.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I think one thing that needs to be made clear for those new to the Starlink concept is that it does not use a "dish" in the traditional sense. The user terminal is a flat panel of phased array antennas that are electronically aimed "under the covers", so the only movement seen by users is the initial positioning of the flat panel.

It is not precisely flat, kind of a rectangular shallow dish. It is cool to watch it find the best signal. When I got ours I initially pointed it towards the southern sky only to see it orient itself to the north. The one feature I think is a really good idea is that when it gets cold it will automatically heat up to shed ice and snow. I really am curious to see kind of roof mount they come up with because when it parks now it is vertical. Not only would that add height but it would be about as aerodynamic as a brick.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

21 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

It is not precisely flat, kind of a rectangular shallow dish. It is cool to watch it find the best signal. When I got ours I initially pointed it towards the southern sky only to see it orient itself to the north. The one feature I think is a really good idea is that when it gets cold it will automatically heat up to shed ice and snow. I really am curious to see kind of roof mount they come up with because when it parks now it is vertical. Not only would that add height but it would be about as aerodynamic as a brick.

Agreed it's not perfectly flat, but I think you'll agree that it's nothing like the traditional parabolic satellite dishes.

Dutch

29 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Agreed it's not perfectly flat, but I think you'll agree that it's nothing like the traditional parabolic satellite dishes.

Yep, nothing like. I was just trying to point out it is not aerodynamic in any way, shape, or form.

3 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

Yep, nothing like. I was just trying to point out it is not aerodynamic in any way, shape, or form.

Yes, and I wonder what form they'll take for true mobile use.

Dutch

I’ve read and heard about it moving on its own after the initial setup. 

Thought this was interesting. They are up to about 2,900 satellites now.  

https://satellitemap.space/

You can set your home location and see the quality of coverage. Best looked at on a PC or laptop. Maybe tablet.  

https://starlink.sx/

Could this be coming to the US eventually? It sure would make the monthly cost more appealing...

"Starlink Imposing High-Speed Data Caps in France (But Monthly Cost Will Drop)"

"Under the new policy, users in France may experience slower speeds once they exceed a 250GB data download limit, according to a message SpaceX sent to customers."

https://www.pcmag.com/news/starlink-imposing-high-speed-data-caps-in-france-but-monthly-cost-will

Dutch

51 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Could this be coming to the US eventually? It sure would make the monthly cost more appealing...

"Starlink Imposing High-Speed Data Caps in France (But Monthly Cost Will Drop)"

"Under the new policy, users in France may experience slower speeds once they exceed a 250GB data download limit, according to a message SpaceX sent to customers."

https://www.pcmag.com/news/starlink-imposing-high-speed-data-caps-in-france-but-monthly-cost-will

Actually that seems to be workable and not a bad idea.

1 hour ago, sheldons65 said:

Actually that seems to be workable and not a bad idea.

I agree, and with the option to maintain full speed beyond the 250 GB at $10/100 GB, that should work for even the heaviest users.

Dutch

• 3 weeks later...

I LOVE my starlink.  i have gotten better speed in the middle of the mountains while lakeside camping than i do at my house. last time we went out with family, we stayed for over a week.  10 campers used my connection everyone could stream music, videos, netflix and I was able to do all the homework i had. its awesome. 

2 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Where is that? I have seen Coming Soon, Expand in 2023, Available Now, but never have seen Low Capacity.

Starlink's own map... the map you get when you sign up and check coverage.  Mesa Verde Nat'l park in SW Colorado, near Cortez/Mancos.

I watch a youtube on those antennas.  Man,  that is really some technology how they track the satellites without having to physically move.  We sure have some smart people in this world.

Edited by hemsteadc

4 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

Starlink's own map... the map you get when you sign up and check coverage.  Mesa Verde Nat'l park in SW Colorado, near Cortez/Mancos.

I watch a youtube on those antennas.  Man,  that is really some technology how they track the satellites without having to physically move.  We sure have some smart people in this world.

Just an information point, the phased array antenna technology used by Starlink was first demonstrated by physicist Karl F. Braun in 1905.

Dutch

19 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I'm still not seeing what you are seeing. Part of that area is labeled Expand in 2023. Maybe I see a different map as an actual Starlink customer?

15 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Just an information point, the phased array antenna technology used by Starlink was first demonstrated by physicist Karl F. Braun in 1905.

The US Navy uses phased array antennas on some ships. It was first put into service on the USS Ticonderoga. I had a friend stationed on it and when they made a port call in Rota, Spain we hooked up and he gave me and my son a tour. The ship capabilities were impressive and that was just the AN/SPY-1A, they are now up to F.

Edited by Chalkie
spelling

8 hours ago, Chalkie said:

The US Navy uses phased array antennas on some ships. It was first put into service on the USS Ticonderoga. I had a friend stationed on it and when they made a port call in Rota, Spain we hooked up and he gave me and my son a tour. The ship capabilities were impressive and the was just the AN/SPY-1A, they are now up to F.

Yes, while Starlink has certainly refined phased arrays and brought the cost down for consumer use, they're really nothing new.

Dutch

10 hours ago, Chalkie said:

I'm still not seeing what you are seeing. Part of that area is labeled Expand in 2023. Maybe I see a different map as an actual Starlink customer?

Take a look in the RV section.

https://www.starlink.com/map?source=rv

Safe Travels...

Edited by k4rs
added url

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

51 minutes ago, k4rs said:

Take a look in the RV section.

https://www.starlink.com/map?source=rv

Safe Travels...

Aha! That explains it! I was looking at the regular coverage map. Anyhow it is the same map with different labeling. The section in the RV map that says "low capacity" is exactly the same as the section label "expand in 2023" on the other map. Without being there and actually trying it I suspect that means while there is coverage your are going to get lower speeds as there is lower bandwidth to share but you will have service. They probably need to put up a few more satellites to fill in the holes. If you have ever looked at map of the satellites? It is quite an elaborate dance.