Jump to content

Any Starlink RV user updates?


Recommended Posts

Being using mine a little over a month an so far it is doing pretty good. Have the RV package so most of the time we are getting between 30 - 60 mbs. You do need a fairly clear area to not have blockage. We've been to 4 different campground across TN (Crossville, Parkers Crossroads), West Memphis, AR and MS north west at COE had service at all of them.

Ken....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am looking forward to some pics from our members of what the RV unit looks like if mounted on the RV or off. I would expect some differences. Or are they just tripod mounted but the same in other respects like satellite dishes of old?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

RV,

It's the same unit they use for the home ones. The first time you hook it up you  have to be at the address you shipped it to and it will download an update to make it a RV unit. They say a mobile mount dish is coming.

Ken....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think one thing that needs to be made clear for those new to the Starlink concept is that it does not use a "dish" in the traditional sense. The user terminal is a flat panel of phased array antennas that are electronically aimed "under the covers", so the only movement seen by users is the initial positioning of the flat panel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I think one thing that needs to be made clear for those new to the Starlink concept is that it does not use a "dish" in the traditional sense. The user terminal is a flat panel of phased array antennas that are electronically aimed "under the covers", so the only movement seen by users is the initial positioning of the flat panel.

It is not precisely flat, kind of a rectangular shallow dish. It is cool to watch it find the best signal. When I got ours I initially pointed it towards the southern sky only to see it orient itself to the north. The one feature I think is a really good idea is that when it gets cold it will automatically heat up to shed ice and snow. I really am curious to see kind of roof mount they come up with because when it parks now it is vertical. Not only would that add height but it would be about as aerodynamic as a brick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

It is not precisely flat, kind of a rectangular shallow dish. It is cool to watch it find the best signal. When I got ours I initially pointed it towards the southern sky only to see it orient itself to the north. The one feature I think is a really good idea is that when it gets cold it will automatically heat up to shed ice and snow. I really am curious to see kind of roof mount they come up with because when it parks now it is vertical. Not only would that add height but it would be about as aerodynamic as a brick.

Agreed it's not perfectly flat, but I think you'll agree that it's nothing like the traditional parabolic satellite dishes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Agreed it's not perfectly flat, but I think you'll agree that it's nothing like the traditional parabolic satellite dishes.

Yep, nothing like. I was just trying to point out it is not aerodynamic in any way, shape, or form.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could this be coming to the US eventually? It sure would make the monthly cost more appealing...

"Starlink Imposing High-Speed Data Caps in France (But Monthly Cost Will Drop)"

"Under the new policy, users in France may experience slower speeds once they exceed a 250GB data download limit, according to a message SpaceX sent to customers."

https://www.pcmag.com/news/starlink-imposing-high-speed-data-caps-in-france-but-monthly-cost-will

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Could this be coming to the US eventually? It sure would make the monthly cost more appealing...

"Starlink Imposing High-Speed Data Caps in France (But Monthly Cost Will Drop)"

"Under the new policy, users in France may experience slower speeds once they exceed a 250GB data download limit, according to a message SpaceX sent to customers."

https://www.pcmag.com/news/starlink-imposing-high-speed-data-caps-in-france-but-monthly-cost-will

Actually that seems to be workable and not a bad idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

RV Cable Grip

RV Cable Grip

All the water you need...No matter where you go

Country Thunder Iowa

Nomad Internet

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

RV Air.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

The Rvers- Now Streaming

RVTravel.com Logo



×
×
  • Create New...