Cancelled attendance to HOP (Rose Parade)

My Dear Bride and I have been to many events put on by the Escapees and enjoyed them all.  I am 84 and we still are active in RVing.  So this year when the HOP for the Rose parade came up we decided to go.  Then a big problem came up.  Shorty after we signed up and paid half the cost, the Doctor said "Cancer", and it appears that I may not even be alive Jan first, 2023.  One of the things to do was cancel the HOP.  So over 6 months before the event I notified Escapees that we had to cancel.  Of the $1200 we paid, Escapees will refund half, only $600.  To me, with over 6 months to the event, it would be easy to to fill the spot we took.  Surely there is a waiting list and the Escapees are not going to be out of the money.  It isn't the money so much as the thought.  We are not rich enough where the money is nothing but I don't think it is right to do that much.  I don't know why this brothers me so much.  I have been a good member for over 11 years,  did all the things to be a good member and then BAM.  I don't expect this to change anything, but the money will be for my Bride.  And that is what is important. Please pardon the vent.

2005 Jayco Greyhawk 30 ft
2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

Blog: www.RVtravelsofPauline.blogspot.com

From the page for the Rose Parade HOP (Which I note is "SOLD OUT. WAIT LIST ONLY".)

Cancellation Policy

1 Business Day from Booking:             Full Refund
More Than 90 Days to the event:         75 % Refund 
30 – 90 Days to the event:                    25% Refund 
30 Days or Less to the event:               No Refunds

It seems that you are due a 75% refund, but 75% of what?  The deposit that you paid or the total price of the HOP?  It appears the Escapees is interpreting it as 75% of the total price, meaning that you be required to pay 25% of the total price, which is half of the deposit you've already paid.

I would make an argument that they owe you a 75% refund of the funds you've paid, which would get you another $300. Maybe they'll go for that.

Once again a reminder that Escapees is a for-profit business, not a benevolent "club". 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Refund means getting a portion of the money you already paid, not the amount you owe. I would think you are entitled to a refund of 75% of what you paid, not the total cost.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

On 7/17/2022 at 3:20 PM, ChuckD said:

Please pardon the vent.

With the sort of news that you just received, I think that you have a right to vent. But as much empathy as we have for you, I doubt that our opinions will do much to help. Let's all center our attention on dealing with your health issues. If nothing else, we can certainly send our goodwill and best wishes. Do keep us posted, please.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

To those who wondered, I was told, when I complained, that the penalty was to be taken from the entire cost of the event which was $2400, is $600 which I feel is still a lot. Regardless of what I paid.  I am afraid that this is not giving me a rosy, loving feeling to the staff of the Escapees.  As was said, there is a waiting list, so I would think after filling the vacancy I created that I would be given the full amount minus a small amount to just cover the cost of someone writhing to full the time.  I don't know, but somehow I am feeling a bit betrayed by my club.  Thank you to all that responded and showed caring.

2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

Chuck, I hired a local prominent electrical company to install a home generator for me.  They said because of high demand and the supply shortage it would be at least 9 months before they would install it.  They required a deposit 50% of total cost.  When I asked why they wanted so much deposit, they answered "because we can".

It seems to me that is what you're dealing with.  Never mind what's fair, just "because we can".

A few years ago, I had a major fight with the Escapees folks for a HOP in Texas.  Due to medical issues, I had to cancel about two weeks out.  They had a waiting list for people wanting to attend and still wanted to soak me for medical issues.  I finally told them, OK, don't cancel me and let the site go unused and charge me the full amount, but I had a friend in the area that would drive through to make sure that had not double sold the site.  They finally agreed to a much smaller cancellation fee to cover the printing cost on nametags, etc. since they had a waiting list.  

I do not intend to be signing up for any more functions and will just travel on my own.  The group has a lot of benefits, but they need to realize that we have medical issues, rigs break down, etc.  Maybe they need to offer a cancellation insurance policy for a small fee when you sign up, like the cruise lines do.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Thanks to all who posted and showed they cared, which is more than the staff of the Escapees did.  So this is probably the last post I will be doing.  I am leaving the Escapees and cancel all the extras.  They don't care, nor do I.  I wish you all the best. Thanks for 11 good years of friendship and companionship 

2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

Hi Chuck, we are deeply sorry to hear about your health diagnosis and a member of our team is reaching back out to you directly via email to resolve this. I want to apologize on behalf of the organization for this experience and we’d like to thank you for being a long time member of Escapees. 

Wishing you safe and happy travels,

Melanie Carr

Vice President & co-CEO

CHUCKD just made a new post explaining what happened and he's a Happy Camper with Escapees once again.  This post should probably be closed as none of it pertains to the final result.

THANK YOU CHUCK D for your new post!!!  Good luck on your new journey!

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel