multiplus question

Trying to decide on inverter/s. Magnum using multiple inverters allow a percentage settings to turn on slave units. Reading over the manual on MultiPlus 2 don't see this option. My plans are 1 or 2 230 volt unit with a 100 amp autotransformer. Magnum should be a good power usage with this. Does Victron do this? I like the Bluetooth and lower cost of the Victron. But 2 inverters all the way in use is a larger power draw. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I can't recall where I heard that Autotransformers were frowed upon in some CG, SO I went looking for information and found this link in a competing RV forum.   It answered a few of my lingering questions and may have some information that you may find useful, once you get passed the discussion about RVIA and NEC codes in there. However, you may already know all of what is discussed in that forum.

Autotransformer discussion in irv2 forum

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png                                             

Victron doesn’t make an American market 240 volt inverter.  None of their American market units will produce 240 volt by themselves while inverting.  The only way to get 240 volts out of an American market Victron inverter is to run two of them in split phase (180 degrees out of phase).  When the inverters are programmed to produce 240 volt power, both inverters are always active.  One is on L1 and one is on L2.  They both have to be active to get 240 volt.

Magnum makes single inverters that produce 240 volt.  Those inverters can be run in parallel to add more power to the system as needed.  In this circumstance, the second inverter doesn’t start producing power until the additional power is needed. 

Edited by Chad Heiser

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I may get the Magnum units. But 2 of them would be 8800 instead of 10k. But they likely enough. they are on back order now. They are complaints about MultiPlus 2 being noisy also. Read that on Victron Community today.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

22 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Multipus2 48/5000 230v. Change to 60hz and then 240v. Use autotransformer to get split phase. No not American unit but is with software tweet. 

Be careful with these setups.  There can be some very dangerous grounding problems if the inverter has one leg bonded as a ground.  

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift