Internet on the go: FCC greenlights Starlink service on moving cars, boats, and planes

Excerpt:

"If you're ready for connectivity on the move, SpaceX's Starlink satellite broadband might soon be the answer.

If you're ready for connectivity on the move, SpaceX's Starlink satellite broadband may soon be the answer. The US Federal Communications Commission on Thursday gave the internet provider the greenlight to provide service on moving vehicles, boats, and planes. 

The new authority should help SpaceX meet "the growing user demands that now require connectivity while on the move," wrote FCC International Bureau Chief Tom Sullivan in the approval, "whether driving an RV across the country, moving a freighter from Europe to a U.S. port, or while on a domestic or international flight."

Earlier this year, Starlink began selling Starlink for RVs, but the service wasn't designed to work on the move. It was intended for users traveling to areas with slow or no broadband alternatives.

The new approval specifically grants SpaceX authority to operate consumer and enterprise Ku-band Earth Stations in Motion (ESIM) in the 12 GHz band. However, the FCC granted the approval with some conditions. 

First, SpaceX has to accept that there could be interference from other current and future operators in the 12 GHz band. SpaceX's authority to operate in the band is unprotected, so if other services interfere with the quality of SpaceX's service, that's simply too bad. The FCC also is requiring SpaceX to disclose to its customers that there's no expectation of interference protection. 

The FCC granted SpaceX its new authority over the objections of a handful of other service providers. Satellite broadband provider Viasat, RS Access (a wireless network service backed by Michael Dell), and DISH all petitioned against it. DISH and RS Access already operate in the 12 GHz band, while Viasat is a manufacturer of Ku-band equipment, a provider of Ku-band satellite connectivity, and a Ku-band ESIM licensee.  

Meanwhile, SpaceX is in a separate, broader regulatory tussle with DISH and RS Access over whether the 12 GHz band should be available for both ground-based and space-based services. The FCC has yet to rule on that matter.

Source:

https://www.zdnet.com/home-and-office/networking/internet-on-the-go-fcc-greenlights-starlink-service-on-moving-cars-boats-and-planes/?ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&bhid={%24external_id}&mid={%24MESSAGE_ID}&cid={%24contact_id}

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

19 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

On the go internet would be awesome. Now Starlink needs to develop a smaller and far more aerodynamic antenna. 

They reportedly do have terminals designed for vehicle and marine use in development. The last report I saw said the vehicle units would be too big for passenger car use, but ok for RV and large truck use.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On 7/2/2022 at 9:37 AM, Dutch_12078 said:

The last report I saw said the vehicle units would be too big for passenger car use, but ok for RV and large truck use.

I hoping that they eventually will figure out something for cars; it's about time that new cars stopped coming with XM Radio hardware.  I wonder what percentage of new car buyers keep their XM subscriptions after the free 6 month are over?

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

1 hour ago, docj said:

I hoping that they eventually will figure out something for cars; it's about time that new cars stopped coming with XM Radio hardware.  I wonder what percentage of new car buyers keep their XM subscriptions after the free 6 month are over?

I agree it would be nice to have Starlink car units, and hopefully that's in the works for future release. All we did when our free 6 months were up was to a negotiate a deal with XM for the "Mostly Music" plan that gave us two vehicle coverage for the normal rate for one. They usually renew it at the same half-price deal, but sometimes I have to make the "Cancel me" call to get it renewed.

Dutch

5 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I agree it would be nice to have Starlink car units, and hopefully that's in the works for future release. All we did when our free 6 months were up was to a negotiate a deal with XM for the "Mostly Music" plan that gave us two vehicle coverage for the normal rate for one. They usually renew it at the same half-price deal, but sometimes I have to make the "Cancel me" call to get it renewed.

We  use our Pandora subscription to provide music while we drive.  We pay for the premium service which has no advertising.  The phones connect to Bluetooth seamlessly in both cars.  In addition, we can get news by opening YouTube TV on the phone and listening to one of the cable news stations.   We  subscribe to both Pandora and YouTube TV anyway so why pay extra for a different "in vehicle" music or news provider?

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

1 hour ago, docj said:

We  use our Pandora subscription to provide music while we drive.  We pay for the premium service which has no advertising.  The phones connect to Bluetooth seamlessly in both cars.  In addition, we can get news by opening YouTube TV on the phone and listening to one of the cable news stations.   We  subscribe to both Pandora and YouTube TV anyway so why pay extra for a different "in vehicle" music or news provider?

We are considering dropping XM in favor of using Pandora exclusively, so we'll see what happens. Instead of using my current phone,  I have a couple of older phones that are inactive for cell service, but work fine with the onboard Internet in our vehicles for apps like Pandora.

Dutch

We dropped satellite radio too after the free was up years ago too. We still get special offers from them in snail mail. Remember the Starlink is two way service like the VSATs and satellite radio is one way down. I know the regulars here know that but the noobs and lurkers may have missed that.

Another alternative I won't do again. Years ago we were Mobile DJs (1983-2003) on weekends both while active duty here and in Europe. We have over 25k cuts on CDs that I ripped to mp3 max mp3 resolution years ago. It took a month of hours daily sliding CDs into my then XP system using Windows Media Player to rip them. We have 256GB SD cards in our phones with all music and on the road listen to those in shuffle mode so we don't have to get distracted. They are mostly from Greatest Hits, Best Of, and other collections some with 25 cuts on one CD. So only a few albums with cuts we don't like as much. The only PITA is copying my music to the SD card now from my hard drive. But I only did that once for each of our phones which can handle 1TB SD cards. But no need, too expensive and the 256GB. We still have the CDs in albums that hold 200-300 each. But I if I lost or had one SD card get corrupted I'd just copy from the other. They are slooooow compared to the newest WD black M.2 NVMe drives and USB C connections.

If I had not already done that we would be using the Tesla 4G music streaming direct from the Tesla built in 4G Internet - Tesla has its own streaming stations as well.  But no dead spots in the mountains using our music on SD card which cover some 1930s through 2015 when I copied the last sd. I still buy some CDs and some 4k BluRay disks at yard sales etc for a buck for CDs to 5-10 bucks for the 4k HD. I still get comments about mp3 not being accurate but at 320Kbps it is fine and I have the source 100% accurate CDs we never play anymore. As well as our LPs, about 300 stored correctly. I played most of them only once to record to dbx NR cassette tapes, and except for a few where the tapes got eaten or damaged and had to be recorded once more never played again. All recorded from audiophile turntables and top shelf dbx tape systems. With the LP comeback I may sell the rare ones at auction and the rest locally. No really rare stuff I don't think.

In the Subaru we use SD Cards too as well as Pandora for newest music.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire