Encountering ‘homeless’ folks while camping

Roamer

4 hours ago, RV_ said:

I thought politics was off limits here. I know Kirk and other weekend mods have deleted political posts regardless of side but now it seems political posts can be posted here. Mods and admins enforce the rules or tell us what the new ones are.

I don't think this is political or religious.  It's about RVers, campgrounds and encounters with homeless.  That's not political.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

I don't think this is political or religious.  It's about RVers, campgrounds and encounters with homeless.  That's not political.

Like many threads, it drifted.

It took a political turn as soon as people began started discussing who the homeless are and why they’re homeless.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

12 hours ago, Zulu said:

Like many threads, it drifted.

It took a political turn as soon as people began started discussing who the homeless are and why they’re homeless.

Well.... guess it began with the first post:   Who/Why?   "out of desperation, that's all they can afford".

Full-timed for 16 Years

7 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Well.... guess it began with the first post:   Who/Why?   "out of desperation, that's all they can afford".

Personally, I always wondered why all the Tesla posts are allowed on a RV forum even though there's an 'Other' section.  Other should mean other topics having to do with RVing.

Full-timed for 16 Years

13 hours ago, bruce t said:

Call me dumb if you like but I haven't seen or read any blatantly political post on this thread. Different opinion sure but not any sort of blame game. Maybe I just have a thick skin and don't read between the lines!!!!!

I agree Bruce; I try to read as it is written, injecting my opinion can turn a simple statement into  an entirely different meaning.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

39 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Personally, I always wondered why all the Tesla posts are allowed on a RV forum even though there's an 'Other' section.  Other should mean other topics having to do with RVing.

🙄🤷‍♂️ Perhaps you haven't scrolled the forum categories in a while. Let me help.

The Escapees Forums are divided into RVing and non-RVing categories and one Forum operations one.

"RVing Forums"

JiM1Azgl.jpg

"RV Marketplace"

vJiUyKkl.jpg

"RV Types"

Yi9OalOl.jpg

"Other Subjects"

GDmcmHQl.jpg

"Site and Forum Operation"

jZXQFWel.jpg

"Other Subjects" means not like the first ones with RVing or RV in the title   Other Topics is in Other Subjects as a catch-all for other categories of non-RV topics that don't fit in the categories under "Other Subjects."

I hope that helps. 🖖

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

When I look at 'Other Topics' I see posts of other 'rv topics' included and also many, many Tesla posts.  I believe it's meant for other RV topics since this is a RV forum.  Guess a separate topic of 'Tesla' could be made.

Oh well.... just another opinion.

I would have passed it by had you not complained about this post being 'political' which I don't see it as that way.

Full-timed for 16 Years

18 hours ago, sheldons65 said:

Treat everyone from all walks of life with with dignity and respect. It’s very easy to accomplish. Be kind to others. If they don’t reciprocate then distance yourself from them. 

Well said! You paraphrased a very famous quote.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Tell that to the Olympic Athlete, in LA, who was standing on the sidewalk, in downtown LA, talking to a friend when one of your urban outdoorsmen threw a 10 inch bolt at her, with no warning, striking her in the face. Reportedly cause some injury.

Edited by agesilaus

Here's link to an excellent article that talks about the differences between being houseless vs homeless using social science standards.

https://cheaprvliving.com/the-4-ps-that-differentiate-non-traditional-living-from-homelessness/

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

Here's link to an excellent article . . .

Not so much. This Onion article does a better job.

The blogger uses "four measures social workers use" to differentiate "pioneers of alternative living" (RVers) from "glorified wandering vagrants" (the homeless).

Would love to know the blogger's source for the four measures or 4 Ps . . .

PRESENTATION -- RVers are neat, the homeless are dirty.

PLANNING -- RVers plan, the homeless don't.

POSSESSIONS -- RVers are minimalists, the homeless are hoarders.

PERCEPTION -- RVers don't consider themselves homeless, the homeless do.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

I was thinking of this thread today while in the city today. On numerous intersections were men holding signs saying various things begging for money. The one that caught my eyes was a man holding a sign that said "rare brain disorder, need money".

Anthers sign said " homeless vet, anything helps". I stopped and told him I couldn't give him money but I would take him to the American Legion for lunch on me. He quickly said "naw man, I need money".

That reminded me of an experience perhaps 12-14  years ago. I watched a man working an intersection with one sign. Shortly thereafter a woman in a tan Cadillac parked nearby, the man got in and they drove away. I followed the Caddy to a nearby motel (a block away) where the woman parked. I parked beside them, got out, and began a conversation. ( I was still wearing my farm clothes with holes in the overalls and dirty boots).

One of the men volunteered that he was taking in almost $300/day at that intersection.

Lesson learned; IMO some people choose to live differently.

For the last 10 years or so my donation money and outgrown😞 clothes go to the Salvation Army. Those folks know how to help people.

Well years ago there was a women begger who had her station at the exit of the then local SamsClub, dressing in ragged old clothing.. An article showed up in the local paper where a reporter, doing actual in person investigations, followed her when she left. She got in her car, not a Caddy, and drove 25 miles away to a nearby lakeside community where she lived in and it turned out owned, a nice middle class home.

The reporter questioned her and she finally confessed that she cleared, tax free, over $200 a day begging. This was maybe 15 years ago so that is pre inflation bucks. Her begging income must has plummeted after the story appeared and she vanished from the local scene. Maybe the IRS got her.

Edited by agesilaus