Put my newest Solar system to the test

I put my new system through its first test boondocking.  As many know I had an incident with my last rig and it ended up getting totaled (I guess I need to update my signature here).  I brought my new rig home and had four days to transfer over the system from my old rig and update it for the new rig before I had to leave for the West Coast HDT Rally.  After the rally, we headed out to a boondocking spot we like nearby.  I ran one of my AC’s for seven or so hours with no deficit to the battery bank.  I had enough production to still charge batteries and run additional appliances.  I knew it was a big enough system to not worry (in theory), but it is always nice to see it function in the real world.

The system consists of:
Dual Victron 12 volt, 5K Quattro inverter chargers (from the old rig)
Four Battle Born 8D lithium batteries (1080 amp hrs) (from the old rig)
Six REC 365 watt panels (new)
12 Newpowa compact 100 watt panels (new)
One Victron MPPT 150/85 (new)
Two Victron MPPT 150/70’s (new)
And various other Victron components (from the old rig)

It’s all installed on a DRV Fullhouse MX450 toy hauler.

Edited by Chad Heiser

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS Chad and thanks for the report. For those of us who boondock often DONT YOU JUST LOVE THE FREEDOM SOLAR AFFORDS. Sure it costs some bucks especially up front, but the benefits are worth it IN MY OPINION based on MY lifestyle and energy needs, even if it's NOT for everybody. To each their own RV lifestyle.

Best wishes Chad take care, as always nice sparky chatting with you

John T One Happy often Dry Camper

20 hours ago, Larry Burkett said:

Yes Chad you need to update your signature. I saw a shot of it on Suite Travels blog last night and as they would say in the hill country, it sure is a purty rig.😁

Thank you.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

Wow running A/C on RV solar and battery storage? Back when we were full time for seven years 1997-2003 there weren't even smart phones or Internet access, except for the Echostar and Hughesnet VSat systems that cost in the $5k range If I remember correctly. RV solar and batteries were just starting to become doable then too. Does it put out enough to charge an EV that is towed/trailered. If I ever get back on the road full-time I would love  to be able to do that. I was amazed at your first install post with pics too.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

4 hours ago, RV_ said:

Wow running A/C on RV solar and battery storage? Back when we were full time for seven years 1997-2003 there weren't even smart phones or Internet access, except for the Echostar and Hughesnet VSat systems that cost in the $5k range If I remember correctly. RV solar and batteries were just starting to become doable then too. Does it put out enough to charge an EV that is towed/trailered. If I ever get back on the road full-time I would love  to be able to do that. I was amazed at your first install post with pics too.

If I am maxing out all the panels (which is rare with flat mounted panels), I can produce up to 225 amps of DC power.  Realistically I can expect 170 to 180 amps of DC power in good conditions.  That is a lot of power production every hour.

event.png    

16 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

If I am maxing out all the panels (which is rare with flat mounted panels), I can produce up to 225 amps of DC power.  Realistically I can expect 170 to 180 amps of DC power in good conditions.  That is a lot of power production every hour.

Wow! Thanks for all your info and contributions here.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Once we get home from our current outing in a couple weeks and I have access to a computer again, I will post some pictures and document the new build like I have done in the past.  This system is the largest system I have built to date for anyone and while it is more power than most people need, I am very happy with it.

event.png    

57 minutes ago, Larry Burkett said:

I enjoy reading and seeing what you put together for your systems and mounting it in and on your trailer.

I have been a part of several RV forums for more than 20 years and in my opinion, Chad is one of the very most knowledgeable RV solar people that I have observed. And I am not electrically challenged as I made my living in it for more than 40 years. If I were adding solar to an RV I would follow his advice to the letter.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thank you for the kind words.  I appreciate it.

event.png    

On 6/27/2022 at 4:29 PM, Kirk W said:

I have been a part of several RV forums for more than 20 years and in my opinion, Chad is one of the very most knowledgeable RV solar people that I have observed. And I am not electrically challenged as I made my living in it for more than 40 years. If I were adding solar to an RV I would follow his advice to the letter.

Not only is Chad one of the most knowledgeable he is one of the most willing to share knowledge freely regardless of your ability to understand or execute. Absolutely a first class individual. 

MAJOR DITTO I have learned from and appreciate Chads help. While I'm NOT a solar expert but an electrical engineer and 50 year RV owner, what he has posted makes sound engineering sense yayyyyyyyyyyyy

Thanks again to him and all the fine gents on here willing to help out !!!!

John T