building a mdt?

packnrat

well i am not too interested in a full sized rig (been driving varied ones for 40 years now) but thinking maybe a mdt, but can they haul a 1984 cj-7 on the frame before the fifth wheel hitch? yes drive off the rear. no sleeper required, maybe a rear window box, kinda like the coffins used on some older rigs. for a couple rotts to sleep in.

can such be registered as a rv?

It is probably possible to build such a rig, but it cannot be registered as an RV in CA.  It will not meet the requirements.  You will also have to keep the GVWR under 26000 lbs to keep from having to pay full commercial DMV fees like an OTR truck.  It will still have to be commercial plates and pay commercial fees, but like a big pickup in CA if you keep it under 26000 lbs GVWR.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

my first step in doing any such is to NOT be in cal.

i have a class A permit with doubles, air brakes now, so that is covered.

fuel millage would not be much if any worse than a full sized rig. the motors are just a bit smaller than a 80K rigs motor and some have jake brakes. as to weight that is to be worked out. but the rig might be longer than my rv.

for my needs a 40+ ft rv is way too much rv.  my interests is in 30 ft to 35 foot rv. (i love the "new" montana high country 281ck).

I  just need a way to get around when i get "there". i have the cj-7 now so no more money to buy a new one. (the 300 transfer case is NOT flat tow-able). plus it would just burn out the tires in a couple months on the freeway. this jeep is not a pavement pounder, it is made to go where ever i point it off road. but not sand or deep water. but still has street plates.

On 6/15/2022 at 8:28 AM, Chad Heiser said:

It is probably possible to build such a rig, but it cannot be registered as an RV in CA.  It will not meet the requirements.  You will also have to keep the GVWR under 26000 lbs to keep from having to pay full commercial DMV fees like an OTR truck.  It will still have to be commercial plates and pay commercial fees, but like a big pickup in CA if you keep it under 26000 lbs GVWR.

heck even a pick up truck must pay dot and weight taxes in cal.

In my experience driving a mdt in my well drilling days and carrying as much well casing in the bed on the back as possible. 14’ bed, 20’ well casing, 15 pieces.    Steering it was interesting.    Very easy as it really unloaded the front axle quite a bit.

I have hauled this Jeep for 15 plus years on the bed you see in my avatar. With the balance over the tandem axles the truck rides nice and pulls a 43’ Teton fifthwheel easy.

Registration is in Montana as a RV. Need sleeper for rv registration.

Just my thoughts

Vern