Jump to content

DOT inspection


Rotorhead
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello All,

I have been meaning to ask for sometime but kept forgetting. Do any of you keep your DOT inspection current? I was going to but I don't think I need to since my rig is registered as a private truck. Since I am still new to the HDT, one year now, I still have questions.

Thoughts?

Chuck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jkoenig24 said:

As long as there is NO "commercial use" you shouldn't need a DOT inspection. Be careful though. It IS possible to "cross the line" and use your rig for something considered "commercial".

Roger that. I'll keep my toes on my side of the line. Thanks, I appreciate the information.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can do it yourself, following the federal guidelines and recording each item checked and it's condition.

That said, even though we're not required to have it, it's not a bad idea to really know your unit is in safe operating order.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

You can do it yourself, following the federal guidelines and recording each item checked and it's condition.

That said, even though we're not required to have it, it's not a bad idea to really know your unit is in safe operating order.

That's for sure. I have been keeping my cars in great running condition for 40 years now. I don't want to be stuck on the side of the road when I can hopefully prevent it with good maintenance. 

Thanks for the information. It's always great to acquire more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just had an oil service done yesterday and they asked if I wanted a pm service done which basically follows a DOT check list, they offered an A or B inspection which means one was more thorough than the other, I chose the lesser of the 2. Oil change filters and A inspection cost me around $830. I like to know our truck is safe on the road so figure it can't hurt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, dblr said:

Just had an oil service done yesterday and they asked if I wanted a pm service done which basically follows a DOT check list, they offered an A or B inspection which means one was more thorough than the other, I chose the lesser of the 2. Oil change filters and A inspection cost me around $830. I like to know our truck is safe on the road so figure it can't hurt.

I agree. I too like to know that mechanically my vehicles is safe and sound. I am getting the clutch done in a couple weeks. I will have them do the inspection when they are done. 

Like you said, It can't hurt, unless it breaks and I crash, that would hurt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So if you follow my posts and my trip, just got into Kansas yesterday from Vegas, here is what I can tell you. 

Every time I stopped the officials commented on the fact that I had the DOT plate on my truck and inspection papers in proper order. This helped me out at each stop, and was more like a show of good faith. Kind of that old saying a pound of prevention is better than an ounce of the cure. No I am not using my truck as commercial at all, I just do it for piece of mind, plus if you look at the paper it is nice to see everything they look at and go over. It cost 125.00 in Vegas and worth every penny.

My phone number is 702 672 7990. Call me if you have questions.

Later,

Cory O

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Every time I stopped the officials commented on the fact that I had the DOT plate on my truck and inspection papers in proper order.

Not sure if I understand what you are saying BUT it seems that you pulled into inspection stations and that is the reason you presented DOT inspection info??  Why were you there?  Those inspections are for commercial trucks and not for us HDTers.  Yes, having those inspections done are a benefit but using the resources of the inspections while required for commercial trucks MAY tie up those individuals from doing those inspections on the commercial trucks that we count on to move goods around this country safely.

I guess I am just confused.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, usbusin said:

Cory, are you registered as a Commercial Vehicle?  Is that why you stop at the entry/weigh stations?

Like rpsinc above, I'm also wondering why you are stopping.

GaryD

I stopped because the lights flashed for me to stop and I was told inside if I didn't stop I would have been chased down after leaving by the highway patrol and would have had to go over the same questions on the side of the road.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are in our tenth year of full timing with over 110K miles on the tractor and have passed many many coops bobtail and dragging the fiver. We have never, ever been stopped or chased down by any federal or state agency. 

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Howdy Cory,

Just my opinion and I am NOT a DOT employee or lawyer but in the 10 years I have been using an HDT as a tow rig even when bob tailing I have NEVER pulled into a weight station even if the signs flashed to do so.  From what you say you have your paperwork in order, if they want to talk to you after chasing I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles but I seriously doubt that would happen.  In 10 years I was chased down ONCE in commifornia the Trooper asked me "why did you evade the scales?"  I told him, "I didn't EVADE the scales, I drove past them as there was need for me to stop."  Showed him my paperwork and drove on down the road.  What do you mean when you say you have your "DOT plate"? 

If you have ANYTHING on your truck that in anyway indicates that you might be commercial your only asking for trouble, to include the wording "Not for hire" that is a commercial term meaning that the truck this is displayed on is contracted to a specific company or is owned by an independent operator who chooses who he want to drive for and is not for hire and to haul for anyone else.

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Cory,

Just my opinion and I am NOT a DOT employee or lawyer but in the 10 years I have been using an HDT as a tow rig even when bob tailing I have NEVER pulled into a weight station even if the signs flashed to do so.  From what you say you have your paperwork in order, if they want to talk to you after chasing I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles but I seriously doubt that would happen.  In 10 years I was chased down ONCE in commifornia the Trooper asked me "why did you evade the scales?"  I told him, "I didn't EVADE the scales, I drove past them as there was need for me to stop."  Showed him my paperwork and drove on down the road.  What do you mean when you say you have your "DOT plate"? 

If you have ANYTHING on your truck that in anyway indicates that you might be commercial your only asking for trouble, to include the wording "Not for hire" that is a commercial term meaning that the truck this is displayed on is contracted to a specific company or is owned by an independent operator who chooses who he want to drive for and is not for hire and to haul for anyone else.

Dave

Dave,

First of all great to hear from you and thanks for looking out for me and always giving me great advice! I have my mechanic do a complete service inspection each year and he puts a plate on the side saying the truck passed a mechanic inspection that is on par for the D.O.T. should any questions get asked. If you read my posting, about the trip, you will see I was an excellent Ambassador for our group and all of the officers liked me.

Later,

Cory O

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If getting the DOT inspection works for you, do it, but no need to put the sticker ON the truck, put it into your book/binder.

I have a mechanic that does those inspections too, I do it for peace of mind since I am not an experienced diesel truck owner, but I do what Dave suggested, nothing indicating that I have any connection to commercial enterprise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cory, get that inspection plate OFF your truck. The idea is to get as far away from everything "commercial" that you can. 
I'm with Dave, do not go into a scale house. Half the times you have a civilian inspectors (budget cuts) doing the inspection and a single trooper who issues citations for them all. I would rather talk to a real trooper on the roadside than a civilian inspector any day. And I always agree on that "Not for Hire" and "Private RV" signage. There is nothing that says you can't use a "Private RV" commercially, so what have you accomplished? People think it keeps the cops from stopping them....like a sign saying "No dope in this van" woulda helped Cheech and Chong. Have you ever seen an F-350 or F-450, pulling a DRV or Hew Horizon with "not for hire" or "Private RV" on the side?? 

Several people here say they have an "inspection" done every year. Your wife can do an inspection. All an "inspection" does is tell you something is broken. I "inspected" trucks for years. I am not a mechanic and couldn't even begin to fix half the stuff that fails "inspection". I take my truck to MY TRUSTED MECHANIC year. Change the oil, grease it, check my brake linings and adjustment and give it a thorough total system check. I don't want it "inspected". I pay $7.50 at the local gas station to get the "inspection" done so I can renew my registration.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/20/2022 at 12:47 PM, Big5er said:

Cory, get that inspection plate OFF your truck. The idea is to get as far away from everything "commercial" that you can. 
I'm with Dave, do not go into a scale house. Half the times you have a civilian inspectors (budget cuts) doing the inspection and a single trooper who issues citations for them all. I would rather talk to a real trooper on the roadside than a civilian inspector any day. And I always agree on that "Not for Hire" and "Private RV" signage. There is nothing that says you can't use a "Private RV" commercially, so what have you accomplished? People think it keeps the cops from stopping them....like a sign saying "No dope in this van" woulda helped Cheech and Chong. Have you ever seen an F-350 or F-450, pulling a DRV or Hew Horizon with "not for hire" or "Private RV" on the side?? 

Several people here say they have an "inspection" done every year. Your wife can do an inspection. All an "inspection" does is tell you something is broken. I "inspected" trucks for years. I am not a mechanic and couldn't even begin to fix half the stuff that fails "inspection". I take my truck to MY TRUSTED MECHANIC year. Change the oil, grease it, check my brake linings and adjustment and give it a thorough total system check. I don't want it "inspected". I pay $7.50 at the local gas station to get the "inspection" done so I can renew my registration.  

Phil,

Thanks for the information, I have always trusted what you have written and advice given. I will follow that from here on out.

Later,

Cory O

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...