Fuel price differences

Kirk W

54 minutes ago, pjstough said:

So if something is in the past we shouldnt be bothered with it? So if someone is murdered, we shouldnt hunt for the killer because that happened in the past?
In a somewhat free market there is not much the government can do. In the US we could place an excess profits tax on those who seem to "gouging" as we did during WWII. Something like that is only a bandaid to cover the real problem of demand for gasoline and diesel exceeding supply.

You have taken my comment out of context.

On 6/10/2022 at 11:57 AM, Kirk W said:

We just returned home from a trip of about 15 miles one way through the greater Dallas area. In doing so I noticed that gasoline prices varied by about +/- 20ȼ per gallon but diesel the exact same price at all of the stations that we passed, with exception of 2 that were 1ȼ & 2ȼ less. The diesel was running about 60ȼ higher than regular gasoline. A month or so ago diesel was typically $1 to $1.20 above regular. Gas Buddy lists gasoline in our area between $4.45 & $4.87 and diesel as $4.91 to $5.69. Because of this morning's observation I looked at the prices and all of the lower prices for diesel were at least 1 day old and the highest were mostly 12+ hours old. Since we are about to start to travel again, I have wondered what is happening in other areas?

I wish I understood it better.  In my area just the opposite is occurring.   About a week ago From Cincinnati through Columbus on to Cleveland regular gas prices jumped to $5.099 seemingly at the flick of a switch but diesel showed large differences in prices.  Now this week a tenth of a cent under 5 bucks for regular is common.

3 hours ago, VC 23RSS said:

I wish I understood it better.  In my area just the opposite is occurring.   About a week ago From Cincinnati through Columbus on to Cleveland regular gas prices jumped to $5.099 seemingly at the flick of a switch but diesel showed large differences in prices.  Now this week a tenth of a cent under 5 bucks for regular is common.

Not a lot to understand. Higher demand causes higher prices, higher prices cause lower demand, lower demand causes lower prices, lower prices causes higher demand. Rinse and repeat...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

9 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Not a lot to understand. Higher demand causes higher prices, higher prices cause lower demand, lower demand causes lower prices, lower prices causes higher demand. Rinse and repeat...

Unless you throw in an under or over supply situation. Demand can be high with a huge inventory and discounting to move that inventory.

9 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

That's a given but what is puzzling is the consistency of pricing.  Today I traveled the PA turnpike from New Stanton to Lancaster and for the first time in 22 years taking this trip  every service plaza had the same price.   $5.069.

52 minutes ago, VC 23RSS said:

That's a given but what is puzzling is the consistency of pricing.  Today I traveled the PA turnpike from New Stanton to Lancaster and for the first time in 22 years taking this trip  every service plaza had the same price.   $5.069.

Do you know if all the service plazas are managed by the same company? Their contract with the Turnpike Authority may place some controls on pricing.

Dutch

55 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Do you know if all the service plazas are managed by the same company? Their contract with the Turnpike Authority may place some controls on pricing.

That could very well be it.  I also found odd this trip was that gas is usually more expensive on the TP but that wasn't the case today.  Saw slightly higher prices once off the toll road.  Driving from Ohio we'd see prices change due to state tax differences at the state line in WVa and again in PA.  Not this trip at least not a significant difference. 

On a positive note my 21 Tundra squeaked out 20.8 MPG on a section with some 55 and mostly 70 MPH zones.  Cruise set 3 over and AC on.  The section with all 70 got me 20.0 MPG.    I usually get 10-12 pulling.

2 hours ago, VC 23RSS said:

for the first time in 22 years taking this trip  every service plaza had the same price.   $5.069.

That is exactly what I was talking about in the opening post of this thread but where I observed that was on the city streets in Dallas suburbs. That was a week ago now and I'm sure that the stations that I observed were not all managed by the same company. On the other hand, yesterday I drove through Lebanon TN and found a variation in diesel prices observed to be 15ȼ and on Gas Buddy it was 55ȼ but I never saw any of the highest prices that they list. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Here in Indiana, pricing is $5.199/G  virtually everywhere but Sam's Club which is $5,039. Now the kicker, I have been buying BP gasoline this spring since I discovered my  GM 5.3L engine runs discernibly better and obtains slightly better mileage.

The last tank I bought at Sams Club, the engine returned to the usual hesitancy when pushing the throttle and mileage dropped to pre-BP level.

BP is rated a tier 1 gasoline, I have no clue to the Sams Club gasoline tier.

That, IMO, kinda proved my theory, You really do get what you pay for.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

10 hours ago, VC 23RSS said:

That could very well be it.  I also found odd this trip was that gas is usually more expensive on the TP but that wasn't the case today.  Saw slightly higher prices once off the toll road.  Driving from Ohio we'd see prices change due to state tax differences at the state line in WVa and again in PA.  Not this trip at least not a significant difference. 

On a positive note my 21 Tundra squeaked out 20.8 MPG on a section with some 55 and mostly 70 MPH zones.  Cruise set 3 over and AC on.  The section with all 70 got me 20.0 MPG.    I usually get 10-12 pulling.

I saw the same thing on the NY Thruway last week at the three service areas we passed. The price for regular was about 10 cents below the surrounding area rather than higher as it usually is. I do know the Thruway Authority does place some pricing limits on the contractors, but I don't know what they are currently.

Doubling your fuel mileage is amazing! Great!

Dutch

19 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I saw the same thing on the NY Thruway last week at the three service areas we passed. The price for regular was about 10 cents below the surrounding area rather than higher as it usually is. I do know the Thruway Authority does place some pricing limits on the contractors, but I don't know what they are currently.

Doubling your fuel mileage is amazing! Great!

I probably didn't clarify the MPG comment.   The higher MPG was the Tundra without 3 tons of mobile outhouse tied to the back.  I'm pretty happy to get as high as I do either pulling the camper or running light.  My door jamb calls for 30 ft and 33 rear for tire pressures.   I run 38/41 and monitor my treadwear.  So far even wear.  I also fab'd a front air dam that's been adding between .8-1.3 MPG.  The biggest improvement is driving like Grandma is in the back seat dressed in her Sunday best with a dish of gravy on her lap.

4 hours ago, VC 23RSS said:

I probably didn't clarify the MPG comment.   The higher MPG was the Tundra without 3 tons of mobile outhouse tied to the back.  I'm pretty happy to get as high as I do either pulling the camper or running light.  My door jamb calls for 30 ft and 33 rear for tire pressures.   I run 38/41 and monitor my treadwear.  So far even wear.  I also fab'd a front air dam that's been adding between .8-1.3 MPG.  The biggest improvement is driving like Grandma is in the back seat dressed in her Sunday best with a dish of gravy on her lap.

Ahh! Thank for clearing that up.

Dutch

Re fuel consumption. We had a 2013 RAM 1500 5.7. On the flat it would get me about 19mpg at the posted speeds. (US Highways). But in rolling country is would get me 21-22mpg. Go figure.

I'm a great believer in driving style being the critical element in fuel consumption. Get that consistent and you can help negate much of the fuel price issues.