fuel prices.

2 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

That might come to pass if the white house decides to return to the fuel saving measures of 45 years ago.

Not the White House without new legislation.....the authority is back to the states.  In most states, that is the Governor, and he/she can do it just with their signature.

It also reduces CO2.  The Europeans are dropping their speed limits for that reason.  

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with everyone worrying about their own driving and less worrying about what others are doing. Let the police worry about who is doing the wrong thing.

It's all about awareness. Those big shinny things called mirrors are your best friends. Keep below the maximum speed limit as well as what your rig is capable of. And don't be a road block.

Don't get all upset because a Prevost passed you doing 90mph. Don't worry about pop pulling the old trailer with his old pickup at 50mph. Just make sure you are doing the right thing and a bit less preaching to those you can't control.

Smile. Lifes short. Too short to worry about everyone else's opinion. Be aware and be happy.

6 hours ago, lappir said:

I don't mind those who drive slow as long as they do it in the correct lane. How many times on a multi lane highway (4 or more lanes each way) do you see the IDIOT in the middle most lane just cruising along with people passing on either side.

My daughter used to complain riding with me was like being the rock in a river. Our freeway split and we had to be in the middle lane to wind up on the correct road. I drove the speed limit--not faster, not slower. How can you teach your children not to speed if you do it yourself?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

When I was a kid we used to play the alphabet game on trips. Illinois had signs saying "cars towing trailers restricted to truck speeds". I don't know if they still do. It was a mandated difference in speeds for various types of vehicles, though.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

13 hours ago, sandsys said:

When I was a kid we used to play the alphabet game on trips. Illinois had signs saying "cars towing trailers restricted to truck speeds". I don't know if they still do. It was a mandated difference in speeds for various types of vehicles, though.

Linda

California has 55 mph for RV's, semi's, and anybody with more than three axels.

Oregon, is also 55 mph, for semi's.

Washington is 60 mph for semi's.

Here is the complete list:  https://www.topmarkfunding.com/speed-limits-for-semi-trucks-in-the-united-states/

Not sure if the same speed limit applies to RV's in some of those states.

As people in Colorado found out a semi or RV doing 80 mph is a dangerous weapon.

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

The trial was this spring.  The incident was a couple of years ago.  

Made national news, not sure how many people he killed.  I will do a search and see if I can find it.

....found it

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/30/us/colorado-rogel-aguilera-mederos-sentence-commuted/index.html

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/crime/affidavit-driver-involved-in-deadly-i-70-crash-was-driving-erratically-going-more-than-80-mph

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

I currently tow a Casita with a one-ton diesel truck.  Going through California with their 55 MPH speed limit for trailers and semi's is a PIB.

However, it does allow auto traffic to flow better and safer.  Even Montana has a 65 MPH limit on semi's.

Reminds me, of all the discussions about truck/trailer combinations and the comments about can I tow with a half-ton truck.  You can tow, but can you stop it??  See previous post on stopping a semi.

I would put in a "towing lane" on the Interstates....stay in this lane, go 60 mph don't exit for a 100 miles.

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

1 hour ago, Vladimir said:

The trial was this spring.  The incident was a couple of years ago. 

Thanks! I remember that now that you jogged my memory. We used to live in Colorado Springs so it didn't get near the news coverage but I do remember everyone wondering why he didn't take the runaway ramp.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

23 hours ago, pjstough said:

These trucks got ticketed for going 55 mph? What law were they breaking? Where is 55 mph below the minimum speed?

listed on the tickets as unsafe speed. and this was in the reno nevada area. specific rd/highway i do not know.

2 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Thanks! I remember that now that you jogged my memory. We used to live in Colorado Springs so it didn't get near the news coverage but I do remember everyone wondering why he didn't take the runaway ramp.

Because he was a 23 year old that was not grown up.

My question is.....why all the 23 year olds that are protecting our country, flying jet planes and handling nuclear weapons, etc. show pretty good judgement.  And the average 23 year old, outside the military, is a total loser??

What is the military doing right, and what are we as a society doing wrong??

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

28 minutes ago, Vladimir said:

Because he was a 23 year old that was not grown up.

My question is.....why all the 23 year olds that are protecting our country, flying jet planes and handling nuclear weapons, etc. show pretty good judgement.  And the average 23 year old, outside the military, is a total loser??

The answer to that is easy. If you are one of the 23 year olds who is not grown up, you dont make it in the military.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

46 minutes ago, packnrat said:

listed on the tickets as unsafe speed. and this was in the reno nevada area. specific rd/highway i do not know.

No way these drivers were guilty of driving at an unsafe speed if they were going 55. Did they fight the tickets in court? If not, they were fools.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

I never want to be in law enforcement.

I once got a warning for driving slow on Memorial Day weekend.  The officer mentioned that their emphasis patrol for that weekend were SLOW DRIVERS!!!  On Memorial Day weekend!!!!

I wrote a scathing, four page letter to the Washington State Patrol telling them that I believed in the old Washington State Patrol that believed SPEED KILLS.

Got a phone call from the commander for the Highway Patrol district asking how the officer handled the incident.

I told him he was great.  He was professional.  I understood why he made the decision he did.  I disagreed with it, but had no issue with the officer.  

IT WAS THE POLICY that I didn't like.

He wasn't ready for that answer and I quickly became his best friend.

What a job!!!

Your suppose to enforce the law and then when somebody complains the supervisor asks the person TICKETED, how did you like getting your ticket!!!  

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

8 hours ago, Vladimir said:

The problem is a lot deeper and an entire generation, well worth a serious discussion but it isn't part of the fuel pricing subject so I'll not comment now.  🥴

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

17 hours ago, Vladimir said:

I currently tow a Casita with a one-ton diesel truck.  Going through California with their 55 MPH speed limit for trailers and semi's is a PIB.

However, it does allow auto traffic to flow better and safer.  Even Montana has a 65 MPH limit on semi's.

Reminds me, of all the discussions about truck/trailer combinations and the comments about can I tow with a half-ton truck.  You can tow, but can you stop it??  See previous post on stopping a semi.

I would put in a "towing lane" on the Interstates....stay in this lane, go 60 mph don't exit for a 100 miles.

California.  "However, it does allow auto traffic to flow better and safer".

The usual posted speed limit in most urban areas of CA is 65 mph for cars & trucks.  For vehicles towing trailers it's 55 mph - and NOT in the HOV lane.

"allow auto traffic".....NON rush hour speeds on So.CA freeways may "approach" 80 mph (in posted 65mph).  As long as you're not the "point man" , the "flow" is pretty much ignored by the CHP.  (Rush hour is between 15mph and "parking lot" speeds, LOL)  BTW  tractor-trailer rigs (semi w/trailer) will usually run about 58-60 mph.

However, at times the CHP will "target" a section of freeway (excessive accidents, or?) and strictly enforce the posted speed limit.  Usually - it's on the TV News prior to the date/s - so driver/s beware!

It doesn't last more than a few days - as the CHP doesn't have the units to continue that level of enforcement, and/or the units have other chores to perform (accidents, etc.).

At all times - if/when "observed" - the obvious "point man" will get the attention and a  "greetings"! 

You don't want to be him or her.

~

Edited by Pappy Yokum
typo corrected

In Minnesota, on the freeways, signs warn of extra DWI patrols on holiday weekends in hopes of keeping drunks from driving. Not sure if it works or not as I see plenty of vehicles pulled over then.

Linda

On 6/15/2022 at 10:39 AM, Pappy Yokum said:

California.  "However, it does allow auto traffic to flow better and safer".

The usual posted speed limit in most urban areas of CA is 65 mph for cars & trucks.  For vehicles towing trailers it's 55 mph - and NOT in the HOV lane.

"allow auto traffic".....NON rush hour speeds on So.CA freeways may "approach" 80 mph (in posted 65mph).  As long as you're not the "point man" , the "flow" is pretty much ignored by the CHP.  (Rush hour is between 15mph and "parking lot" speeds, LOL)  BTW  tractor-trailer rigs (semi w/trailer) will usually run about 58-60 mph.

However, at times the CHP will "target" a section of freeway (excessive accidents, or?) and strictly enforce the posted speed limit.  Usually - it's on the TV News prior to the date/s - so driver/s beware!

It doesn't last more than a few days - as the CHP doesn't have the units to continue that level of enforcement, and/or the units have other chores to perform (accidents, etc.).

At all times - if/when "observed" - the obvious "point man" will get the attention and a  "greetings"! 

You don't want to be him or her.

~

safer/better. is if everybody was doing the same speed. i drive a rig for a living. i see no problem if some areas of ca do 65 mph for all. then in city's it would be 55 for all. but even a bob tail truck with three axles must do 55 mph. not just trailers. but then most cars, small trucks, mini vans should be banned from pulling any trailer. and/or the driver should have a trailer endorsement on there permit.

O and i get paid by the hr, with ot after 8 hrs on the clock each day, so i drive 55 mph.

28 minutes ago, bruce t said:

When anyone bans the use of phones while driving I'll take speed enforcement seriously. (FWIW here in Australia phone use while driving is almost a hanging offense).

How many of those slow drivers are reading or texting?

Most/all states in the US have restrictions on phone use, usually only allowing hands free calls. Reading or texting is not allowed at all while driving. Obviously people do get away with it since the police can't be everywhere at once.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On 6/14/2022 at 11:16 PM, pjstough said:

The answer to that is easy. If you are one of the 23 year olds who is not grown up, you dont make it in the military.

Yep, the military has minimum standards of acceptance.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The use of phones while driving isn't the issue. I can send and receive texts make or take calls without taking my eyes off the road. I do not have to look at my screen, just click a button on my wheel to activate the mic and tell my Tesla what to do from changing the station to make a call or read the text that just came in. I can say send a text and it does that hands free and no screen reading needed. It is no more distracting than talking to you wife/passenger/friend/kiddos riding with you.

Although stock in my car most new cars offer all these options.

I too object to folks looking at their phones while driving and texting or watching videos. They tend to hang on my or your blind spot or just back from it when texting. When I click my directional it shows that left or right blind spot camera on my screen so I have avoided several issues with cars pacing mine.

And before the silly stuff starts yes like any new car you have to sit in the driveway and learn the controls even before automation. Like all new cars after a few days it all becomes second nature. I don't have to look at my wiper controls to turn them on, change wiper speeds, wipe once, as I have it set to auto. Same with my headlights. I think messing with all the buttons and knobs on vehicles without the sensors and automatic functions are way more distracting than hands free as you have to look at them

Until I got hands free fully automated I never texted or read texts while driving. I even use the mic to avoid typing texts with my thumbs when not driving.

If someone does not want passengers talking while they drive then that is their vehicle their choice. I doubt anyone will suggest no speaking to passengers while driving. If they do I believe we all will consider the source. 🖖

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

14 minutes ago, RV_ said:

I doubt anyone will suggest no speaking to passengers while driving. If they do I believe we all will consider the source. 🖖

I had to give up talking to passengers while driving. I am simply not good at any type of multi-tasking; I prefer to pay attention to the road. I also refuse to talk to anyone using their phone while driving. If I hear road noise during a call, I simply say, "call me when you are parked," and I hang up. I choose not to be involved in anyone else's accident.

Linda

4 hours ago, sandsys said:

I had to give up talking to passengers while driving. I am simply not good at any type of multi-tasking; I prefer to pay attention to the road. I also refuse to talk to anyone using their phone while driving. If I hear road noise during a call, I simply say, "call me when you are parked," and I hang up. I choose not to be involved in anyone else's accident.

Linda

As I said above that is your choice. You left out the first sentence: "If someone does not want passengers talking while they drive then that is their vehicle their choice. "

The totally separate sentence was "I doubt anyone will suggest no speaking to passengers while driving. If they do I believe we all will consider the source" as you quoted above. Meaning telling others not to speak when they are driving their own cars. Looking at a phone screen instead of the road I think we all agree is unsafe at any age.

Safe travels!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire