Comments Please: Weigh Stations

SuiteSuccess

Found this in researching for a friend. Pertains to non commercial moving trucks (U Haul etc) but in looking at some states other vehicles of a non commercial type are included and would encompass our trucks and fivers, ex Arkansas.  I’ve never stopped in Arkansas, Kansas, and others so after all these years I’m confused again. 

https://www.moving.com/tips/does-my-moving-truck-need-to-stop-at-a-weigh-station/

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

• SuiteSuccess changed the title to Comments Please: Weigh Stations
1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Found this in researching for a friend. Pertains to non commercial moving trucks (U Haul etc) but in looking at some states other vehicles of a non commercial type are included and would encompass our trucks and fivers, ex Arkansas.  I’ve never stopped in Arkansas, Kansas, and others so after all these years I’m confused again. 

https://www.moving.com/tips/does-my-moving-truck-need-to-stop-at-a-weigh-station/

If they want me to stop bad enough, they can run me down, for a roadside conversation. Texas Port of Entry ran us down, bobtail, but had already identified us as an RV by the RV hitch in place of the monster plate usually seen on a working truck. Easy talk about the facts of (RV) life with a KW, as he was thinking of doing the same after retirement.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

WOW! reading over the list provided in your link was interesting. FL, NE & VA in particular look like they're out to get motorists. 

Carl, In my travels over the last several years, I've noticed more & more Weigh Stations placarded with a vehicle's WEIGHT RATING instead of the words COMMERCIAL VEHICLE (borne out by the link provided). I clearly remember seeing a weight rating of 10,000 pounds at  least once. I have a vague memory of seeing a weight rating of 8,000 pounds. I do not recall where either sign was located. As overloaded trucks do pose a safety hazard, I agree that they need to be regulated and checked to ensure compliance. HOWEVER, in today's world, I fear the many states / municipalities are concerned with increasing revenues MORE than their concern for safety. Roughly twenty years ago Federal regulations were "unified" to try establishing a national standard for trucks, ESPECIALLY HDTs that were used COMMERCIALLY. The "magic number" wound up being 28,000 pounds. At 28,000 pounds GVWR OR LESS, many (most?) states allowed drivers of NON COMMERCIAL vehicles to operate with a "standard" drivers licence (28,000# covers a LOT of RVs). Prior to that, many states had lower vehicle weight ratings for holders of a "standard" driver's license. Back then, NY had a limit of 18,000 pounds. At 18,001 a Class C Commercial driver's license was required. Jump forward to today. It is my understanding that RVs are still NOT welcome or expected to pull into a weigh station (although LEGALLY it MAY be required). I DO expect that to change. The question is WHEN? Perhaps the safest course of action would be to stop in at a state's "Welcome Center" which is often near the entry point along a major highway and ask. An alternative would be to call and ask directly if you ARE required to pull into that state's Weigh Stations AND that they WANT you to do so (get the name of the state employee you speak with). The Rand McNally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas has phone numbers for every state (or you could just google it). For the IMMEDIATE future, I think RVers WON'T be chased down by police. I have heard of RVers who DO pull in only to be "waved through". That should cover you and avoid a summons for "non-compliance". DO keep your file of YOUR state's Rules & Regulations re RVs up to date and near at hand. If a LEO is looking to tag somebody and, you have all your ducks in a row, he may decide it will be easier to stop the next guy. 

I have not, nor will I, ever stop at a scale unless forced to by law. We are registered as a motorhome and until they force all of the class C, super C and class A motorhomes to weigh, I will not. The scale houses are supposed to be for commercial vehicles only. How many of you have seen a DOT officer run a class A down to write him a ticket for bypassing the scales?

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

5 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

I have not, nor will I, ever stop at a scale unless forced to by law. We are registered as a motorhome and until they force all of the class C, super C and class A motorhomes to weigh, I will not. The scale houses are supposed to be for commercial vehicles only. How many of you have seen a DOT officer run a class A down to write him a ticket for bypassing the scales?

My friend is driving a UHaul to Montana from Tennessee, knew of my big truck and asked if he needed to go through weigh stations.  Initially said absolutely not since he was non-commercial and it was his stuff he was hauling.  After finding this article, looks like the regs are on the books in some states just not enforced routinely……as John says, so far!

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Agree, we are registered as a motor home, which could be commercial if engaged in such an activity, which are not.

Cover your butt.  When we bought our Volvo, I asked our accountant if the "business" could buy it and claim it as a deductible.  He said sure, no problem.  Then I talked to Gargoyle (yes, it was a long time ago) who informed me that having a business listed as owner made us commercial, never mind the activity.  Accountant was playing by a different set of rules.

We make very effort to follow the letter of the law, so that if we ever have a roadside chat with Johnny Law, I can show how and why we are legal.

That said, a UHaul could be construed as commercial because a business is taking place via the act of renting.

Long winded way of saying "I don't know".

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I had called the FMCSA to ask if I could take my truck up to Michigan and get a trailer to move my brother-in-law  and sister-in-law down to Florida. I told them my truck is registered private. They said as long as it is done private there was no problem with them. I asked about the weigh stations and they said I needed to call a field office in each state I was passing through and ask them. I didn’t end up doing it so I never called. 

We have seen signs at weigh stations that also indicate rental trucks. Many businesses use them for commercial use also so if the sign indicates it, I would pull in if I was driving one. We just past one the other day that showed all boats and kayaks. I did see some weigh stations that had signs saying "RVs exempt". 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

There is a mixed bag of signage for both RV’s and rental trucks.

If I am in RV mode, I do not stop. They will need to come get me if they want to chat.

When I am hauling toys, I will pull in. Looks like a truck, they are going to expect me. Have never been questioned though, probably 20000 lbs of old tractors riding on 6 axles looks boring.

Oregon signs say "all trucks over 20,000lbs must exit" at the scales. I emailed the Oregon motor carrier division about my class 8 rv. They called my phone, which I had included in the email, and told me they would know everything about me before the weigh in motion scale. What my title says, if I'm current with tags etc. They asked that I please not clog the scale lines, and drive on. For Oregon, ASK ODOT is a great resource.

If you want to know before you go, simply email or call the state you wish to pass through. I'd rather email as then you have hard copy of the official's reply.

I'm a work'n on it.

On 6/8/2022 at 11:33 PM, Deezl Smoke said:

Oregon signs say "all trucks over 20,000lbs must exit" at the scales. I emailed the Oregon motor carrier division about my class 8 rv. They called my phone, which I had included in the email, and told me they would know everything about me before the weigh in motion scale. What my title says, if I'm current with tags etc. They asked that I please not clog the scale lines, and drive on. For Oregon, ASK ODOT is a great resource.

If you want to know before you go, simply email or call the state you wish to pass through. I'd rather email as then you have hard copy of the official's reply.

If you not running the I-Pass or similar commercial transponder, I wonder how they would know who or what you are?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

2 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

If you not running the I-Pass or similar commercial transponder, I wonder how they would know who or what you are?

Motor carrier told me Oregon and a couple other states, and this is a few years back, have a very advanced camera system in place. Weigh in motion and pre-clearance chains are I believe a good minute before the scale entrance. The cameras are near those devices.

I'm a work'n on it.

A man on irv2.com explained his experience with Mass. That state does require everything over a specified weight to pass through scales, even MH's(but seldom enforced). I don't remember more than that, that old thread many be located by using the google search box at the top right of every page on the website.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 6/7/2022 at 5:25 PM, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Very good point.