Microsoft Outlook 2010 for email?

Velos

Do you use Microsoft Outlook for your Email? If so which version? I have Outlook 2010 to download my G-mail but for "security" reasons Microsoft is no longer supporting 3rd party email for 2010 and before as of May 31, 2022.

I am debating which way to go? I do not like managing my email online; more features in Outlook on my computer so looking for an email program housed on my hard drive and not cyber space. Suggestions? Ideas? Thanks.

PS or is there a work around?

This is a continuing issue with Microsoft and other players. They all go out of the way to make life difficult for anyone who is not exclusive to there company. Apple is the same way as is Google and Yahoo. 
So what is the answer? 
I have iPhone and windows 11 PC with android tablets, the worst of all possible situations. 
here is what I do. Gmail account with Thunderbird mail client. My wife likes her outlook mail, occasionally I have to upgrade her connection to Hotmail and her iPhone and android tablet. My services are mostly covered by Thunderbird and FireFox 

There is a solution to the problem with Gmail and "less secure" apps.  I just had to go through this with my security cameras (I get an email when motion is detected).   You must log in with a secure device that uses 2 factor authentication then generate an "app password" to use in your "less secure device".

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833

As far as Outlook 2010, it is out of date, unsupported, and no longer gets security updates.  It also uses a proprietary .pst format to store your emails that is known to be easily corrupted.   I believe that Thunderbird mentioned above is a much better choice.  One very nice feature of Thunderbird is that it can import your existing emails from Outlook.

Safe Travels...  

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

I buy full Office Pro online at eBay and some are fakes some are good. Office pro 2016 is cheaper and is good until 2026. However I am leaning towards trying Thunderbird too. I am using Libre Office on my Surface Go2 computers and I like it a lot however no mail client there so I have been using the Windows default email program which is abysmal. So Outlook is my go to again 2016 and 2019 versions of Office Pro Plus. But it is not ideal anymore.

Can any Thunderbird users tell me how well it handles IMAP large amounts of folders and emails?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

5 hours ago, RV_ said:

I buy full Office Pro online at eBay and some are fakes some are good. Office pro 2016 is cheaper and is good until 2026. However I am leaning towards trying Thunderbird too. I am using Libre Office on my Surface Go2 computers and I like it a lot however no mail client there so I have been using the Windows default email program which is abysmal. So Outlook is my go to again 2016 and 2019 versions of Office Pro Plus. But it is not ideal anymore.

Can any Thunderbird users tell me how well it handles IMAP large amounts of folders and emails?

Can't tell you about Thunderbird, but EM Client does a great job with email. I had some calendar issue with it, so went back to the organic email client in Windows 11 (it's very reliable). I've recently tried the new Outlook PWA web app (runs locally/off-line when necessary and saves everything to your local device) and it's really good, too. Can even do multiple time zones in the calendar. All of this is with an outlook.com (Live Mail) IMAP account.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

7 hours ago, RV_ said:

How many is your large? Using for at least a decade. 10 different accounts, prob 70+ folders. No issues, with plenty of settings do do what I want. I have to watch updates because my major add on can be slow to update (stores stock responses).

While I keep messages local as well, there are more than 5000 in imap storage for my main account. No real speed issues. 

Edited by Payroll Person

Just thought I'd add, Thunderbird is a Mozilla product.  Mozilla is the developer of Firefox browser, so if you don't like Firefox, you may not like Thunderbird.  I use both, and find that they keep them updated and continually make enhancements.  I've had good luck with Firefox and so far with Thunderbird.

On 6/2/2022 at 7:55 PM, Second Chance said:

Can't tell you about Thunderbird, but EM Client does a great job with email. I had some calendar issue with it, so went back to the organic email client in Windows 11 (it's very reliable). I've recently tried the new Outlook PWA web app (runs locally/off-line when necessary and saves everything to your local device) and it's really good, too. Can even do multiple time zones in the calendar. All of this is with an outlook.com (Live Mail) IMAP account.

Rob

Thanks Rob I use Firefox browser and also went back to using both the Native Windows browser in both Windows 10 and 11 and Outlook 2016 0n two of my computers and Outlook 2019 on two others. I am going to re-look at Outlook.com where I have several alias' I never used. Right now I am using a Gmail account.

Right now I am gathering my info to downgrade my newest computer from 11 to 10 again with the USB Lenovo sent me to do that. I am procrastinating because I need to see how I can transfer my Outlook and MS Office 2016 without having to buy it again. from 11 which upgraded with them but won't down back to 10. I am not that knowledgeable about the PWA and while I like the idea of going back to local a situation like I am facing with going back to 10 could have a lot of issues with a clean install. Or not.  But my plate is really fulas we are looking for a Ranch home to move to and even thinking about Oregon, Washington, or S.Dakota. Looking now at drought conditions and wildfire and its smoke in them. Looking at tax advantages too.

Like I said full plate! 🤷‍♂️😱

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 6/2/2022 at 9:24 PM, Payroll Person said:

How many is your large? Using for at least a decade. 10 different accounts, prob 70+ folders. No issues, with plenty of settings do do what I want. I have to watch updates because my major add on can be slow to update (stores stock responses).

While I keep messages local as well, there are more than 5000 in imap storage for my main account. No real speed issues. 

Thanks PP, looks like it'll work for me too. I have no slow update issues so that should not be an issue if I understand you right.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 6/3/2022 at 11:37 AM, durangodon said:

Just thought I'd add, Thunderbird is a Mozilla product.  Mozilla is the developer of Firefox browser, so if you don't like Firefox, you may not like Thunderbird.  I use both, and find that they keep them updated and continually make enhancements.  I've had good luck with Firefox and so far with Thunderbird.

Don, As you see above I am a Firefox user as well. Looks like it is unanimanimous. (Humor)

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

44 minutes ago, RV_ said:

Thanks Rob I use Firefox browser and also went back to using both the Native Windows browser in both Windows 10 and 11 and Outlook 2016 0n two of my computers and Outlook 2019 on two others. I am going to re-look at Outlook.com where I have several alias' I never used. Right now I am using a Gmail account.

Right now I am gathering my info to downgrade my newest computer from 11 to 10 again with the USB Lenovo sent me to do that. I am procrastinating because I need to see how I can transfer my Outlook and MS Office 2016 without having to buy it again. from 11 which upgraded with them but won't down back to 10. I am not that knowledgeable about the PWA and while I like the idea of going back to local a situation like I am facing with going back to 10 could have a lot of issues with a clean install. Or not.  But my plate is really fulas we are looking for a Ranch home to move to and even thinking about Oregon, Washington, or S.Dakota. Looking now at drought conditions and wildfire and its smoke in them. Looking at tax advantages too.

Like I said full plate! 🤷‍♂️😱

Wow - you don't just have a full plate, you're spinning a number of them! 

Since I responded above I got the bug. I found a legit, downloadable copy of Outlook 2021 for $18... I'm really liking it. It has bells and whistles I don't need, but it will do anything I do want to do - and does it well. I especially like the ability to have multiple/assignable time zones in the calendar in a desktop client.

Good luck with everything.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Rob,

I just bought and today built a new to me refurbished Fire HDX 8.9" 4th gen 64GB storage, where my old one has just 32GB. I use it as my Kindle reader and nightstand streaming device with Sling TV, Netflix, Hulu, Paramount Plus, Disney+, etc. It's got amazing resolution but so outdated I had to download updates to my Windows computer, then copy to the Fire and update from there. It took longer to research/figure it out than to do it.

Why? Because my old one has a battery that only lasts a few days now instead of a week or two like it used to last. So now I can order the new battery for $13.99 on eBay and not risk being without if I bung it up as I have to remove the screen and adhesive holding it to the motherboard. This model has been discontinued since 2014 but they have one of the bestvscreens of AL, the Fire tablets. The 10"Fire FHD 1080p was too big for bedside, and the 8" non HD was not a great screen. The HDX 7" was too small.  I currently have the newest 8" Fire HD+ with only 720p HD, and despite the faster processor and more RAM, even Wireless charging, it is our source for music to our Bose Soundlink Mini II Bluetooth speakers. For our master bath.we've echo devices in the others and I can use my phone as a Kindle downstairs and my Fire 8.9 HDX upstairs in the spare BR. Yep I like my toys. And they keep me busy. My phone had to be sent in a second time for poor output so I'll be doing the 72hour Google One data restore this week too. I cannot recommend the Motorola One Ace 5G after two repairs for the same thing. When it rains . . . . ;)

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I replaced the battery in my Kindle Fire HDX following instructions on youtube.  It was fairly easy and I was so proud of myself.  Put it altogether and turned it on after charging.  Touch screen doesn't work.  I tried all the home remedies that people suggest, no love.

I really liked that old tablet, best screen picture ever.  Anyway, it's a brick now, with a new battery.  Bought a new Kindle Fire 7" for $30.  All I use it for is nightly book reading in black and white.

One suggestion before you try to swap the battery RV.  Pair a mouse to the HDX.  That way, if the touch screen stops working after battery replacement, you can still use the tablet for something.  I had an old bluetooth mouse I could have paired to it, if I had thought about it.

Good luck.

Don, thanks for the tip! I have this kb w/trackpad I bought brand new sealed a week ago just for that eventuality! I just ran across it when I was searching for my replacement HDX 8.9" I already charged and paired it and it works perfectly with the new and old HDX.

I found the replacement HDX on eBay too and it came in like brand new, not a scratch or chip and the plastic back like new. It holds a charge and lasts like my old one used to last. https://www.ebay.com/itm/124763751918

ZRZ3qaIl.jpg

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I tried to find another and that HDX kb with trackpad is the only one I could find, rarer than hen's teeth! It was designed to fit in the Origami cover and that explains that space. It locks right onto the cover for carry very strong:JHsHDKgl.jpg

BzOKybjl.jpg

E8kQUJjl.jpg

Below I an holding the tablet only in the Origami case and the kb is dangling above the desk by the magnets in the cover:02PwtcKl.jpg

Here it is ready to type with it is not attached to the tablet just detached from the magnets and on the desk with the tablet in the normal origami folded upright position:J3fvH4Pl.jpg

I also have a wired kb that

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998