Toad tire pressure monitoring

Bert2

I am changing from a fifth wheel to a Class A and towing my SUV. I have it all set up to tow but not sure what to do about tire pressure monitoring. On my fifth wheel I installed steel valve stems for the tire monitoring pressure sensors. My SUV has its own tire monitoring sensors inside the tires but the valve stems on them are rubber so my external sensors would break the rubber valve stem eventually. My GM dealer showed me a metallic valve stem (grey in color) but advised GM quit using them due to leaks where it threaded together and the valve caps seizing on the valve stems. Any ideas or suggestions? My toad is a 2013 GMC Terrain AWD and is on the approved list for flat four towing.

I have tried two other TPMS systems with poor results.  Those two were eventually trashed.  I have had the TST for about 6 years now and it is great.  The customer support is top notch.  I did have to add the repeater as the rear axle from my 3-axle 5er would sometimes drop the signal.  With the repeater, no issues.

Go ahead and spend the $$$ and get a TST.

Ken

I've been using TST brand flow-thru sensors on my 2013 Silverado pickup since new, while towing it behind our MH. The wheels have rubber stems and the tires do lose pressure very slowly, I have to add air about once every 2-3 months. Other than that, the stems are fine today.

I too moved from a 5th wheel to a Class A. I tow a Jeep. Already had the TSD System on the 5er so only had to buy 4 new sensors. I have the same model sensors  pictured in Dutch post on the Jeep and the flow thru model on the Class A. I don't like the flow thru model as much. I also upgraded to the color monitor when I got the the new sensors.

A couple years ago, I needed to replace my factory TPMS valve stem/sensors on my Chevy truck, and even though I wasn't installing external sensors, I wanted the metal stems.  Discount tire installed the new sensor/stems and they have been great, and compatible with the truck TPMS system.  Maybe replace the stem/sensors so they still work with the toad and will allow you to use the external TST sensors.  Discount used these, even though they didn't get them from Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/VDO-SE10001HP-REDI-Sensor-314-9-Sensor/dp/B00CBQFE8E

If you're considering a TST TPMS, I recommend only using the valve cap sensors, not the flow-thru sensors. The flow-thrus are heavier and TST says they are not compatible with rubber stems. They also don't make a lot of sense to me since removing a cap sensor is about the same as removing a standard valve cap, such as the one used on the flow-thru sensors. They also tend to be subject to curb damage more easily in some cases