Looking for a battery charger with specific features.

Deezl Smoke

I have a coach battery bank that I wish to charge with the generator only when on trips. The batteries are not hooked to the truck in any way. There is no inverter on this battery circuit, only 12 volt dc items such as lights, water pump, fan etc. 

I would like to find a charger that does not have a start switch that has to be pushed each time. The charger will be located in the battery compartment. I do not wish to open the battery compartment each time I start the generator to start the charger. Trying to find a charger that will just start charging when the generator is on, and one that does not keep any display lit etc. when no input power. In other words, does not draw on the batteries when the generator is off.

Any ides or recommends?

I'm a work'n on it.

IMO, Progressive Dynamics is the only way to go with the PD 9200 series.  https://www.progressivedyn.com/

I have a PD9240C in the truck and a PD9260C in the RV.  They do come with a "charge wizard" to show the charging rate but you do not need to connect it.  No need to do anything but hook it up.  

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

The NOCO Genius line of chargers will do that. I have a ten amp model in the basement of my truck. Whenever I plug into shore power, it automatically charges and maintains as needed. It's flawless and works perfectly. There are others which will do it, as well. Check the major deep cycle suppliers, Victron, Xantrex, etc. Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr

2nd for the NOCO Genius. I've got a 3-bank charger in the trailer, using 2 outputs to charge a pair of LiFePO4 batteries. I also have an older Minn-Kota onboard charger and they would also fit the bill.

The NOCO are a better choice in terms of selecting your battery chemistry (IMHO).

https://no.co/genpro10x3

Edited by jeffw

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

I've been noodling with the solar charger idea.  There's a lot of available real estate above the truck bed where panels could be installed.  Keep the truck batteries topped up, plus be able to run a line to the rv.  Likely would need a "house bank" of batteries on the truck, plus a decent controller, then how do you get it to play nice with the rv system?

All  it takes is money.....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I just bought a Renogy 1280 watt system for my off grid shop/work area. I have not got it put together and running yet, but solar is the way I plan to go going forward. My only solar experience up to now is 100 watt amorphous cell, pwm controller stuff. Now with the Renogy I am stepping up to the polycrystalline and mppt controller.

I just want to get on the road and see what my eventual requirements are, then consider solar if I can utilize it. More than likely, the way I travel now, I would'nt even need to charge the house batteries until I return home. But since I will be running the generator for a short while each day for other AC needs, I may as well take advantage and keep the house batteries topped.

I'm a work'n on it.

8 minutes ago, durangodon said:

As I understand it, monocrystalline is the preferred technology to poly, especially in hot weather.

I'm barely a novice at solar, but I do see a lot of discussion about the benefits of each and heated discussion about which is better. But I am in a quite mild climate near Portland Oregon.

I have no idea how well this will work out, but hoping for the best. Even if it does fail, I'm not giving up on solar, I will just chalk it up to expensive education.

I'm a work'n on it.

38 minutes ago, Deezl Smoke said:

I'm barely a novice at solar, but I do see a lot of discussion about the benefits of each and heated discussion about which is better. But I am in a quite mild climate near Portland Oregon.

I have no idea how well this will work out, but hoping for the best. Even if it does fail, I'm not giving up on solar, I will just chalk it up to expensive education.

A novice is ahead of me, I only know what I read about it.  I do have a mono panel which works quite well, but a poly might do better.  Good luck, and share your education so it's not so expensive for the next guy.  🙂

4 hours ago, durangodon said:

As I understand it, monocrystalline is the preferred technology to poly, especially in hot weather.

Any is better than none. In the end, it's all bragging rights and chest thumping.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• 1 month later...

I tried my Viking 15 amp charger and it actually did the job just I want, but was very slow. So I found this copy of it on Amazon, but it is a 25 amp. Figured I would give it a try, and it works just as I want. Not sure how long these cheapo things will last, but for my limited usage, probably long enough.

25 amp charger amazon link

I'm a work'n on it.