Tankless water heater swap

Our water heater started leaking so I am thinking about replacing with a tankless. From what I see they are about the same price as a tank heater. I was wondering if anyone here has done the swap and what are the pros and cons. We will have this trailer at least another 5 years so whatever direction we go we will have to live with it for a while. 

I believe the cause of the crack is because I'm sucking air someplace. The hot water was kind of foamy like it has air in it. The pop of valve on the water heater kind of sticks so I think it built up pressure and cracked out in a weak spot. I can't find a leak anywhere where air is getting in. I have the water heater bypassed for the time being but now the pump cycles for a second every couple minutes so I shut the water off when we are not using it. Several times a day when washing my hands I get a burp of air out of the faucet. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

If the water pump cycles with the water heater bypassed that would not be caused by a leak in the tank of the water heater because the bypass is completely external to the water heater. I assume that you observed water leaking from the water heater and not one of the fittings in the rear of the water heater as the bypass is external but plumbing similar to what is in this picture. If you have not done so, be sure where the leak is coming from.

32070241198_0f7126104f_o.jpg

EDIT: If you do have a leak from at strainer that is between the fresh water tank and the pump, it could cause the problem you have.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't had time to mess with it. This is busiest Memorial Day weekend I have ever had. 

Our RV came with a Girard tankless water heater which I hated.  We put up with it until last year when we finally had it replaced with a regular tank water heater using some of the COVID money we received from the government.  It's s-o-o-o much better!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

If I may, I'll add to Kirk's reply.

When the water pump cycles without you using any water, YOU HAVE A LEAK in your fresh water plumbing, on the pressurized side, Or the pump-head backflow valve is defective.(there is a no-cost check for that)

A leak on the pressurized side cannot introduce air into the fresh water plumbing system(including water heater).

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

20 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

If I may, I'll add to Kirk's reply.

When the water pump cycles without you using any water, YOU HAVE A LEAK in your fresh water plumbing, on the pressurized side, Or the pump-head backflow valve is defective.(there is a no-cost check for that)

A leak on the pressurized side cannot introduce air into the fresh water plumbing system(including water heater).

It use to run for a second once or twice a day. Now its doing it once ever 2 minutes or so. I never cold find a leak. I just figured the pump was starting to go bad.

Edited by jenandjon

In some cases that could be the pump as many of the pumps also act as a check valve to prevent backflow into the tank and do not have a check-valve. In such a case if the pump fails to act as a check valve you will get frequent cycling due to the loss of pressure once the pump turns off. It may be time to replace or rebuild the pump. How old is the pump? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We had that happen for awhile and found it was our valve that that you turn to direct the water to fresh tank,city water,sanitizeanddry camp. I must have been off just a little. The pump would run for a second every hour to hour and a half. That was with a new pump too. Just had to make sure it was exactly pointing the right way. Just a thought. 

23 hours ago, Kirk W said:

In some cases that could be the pump as many of the pumps also act as a check valve to prevent backflow into the tank and do not have a check-valve. In such a case if the pump fails to act as a check valve you will get frequent cycling due to the loss of pressure once the pump turns off. It may be time to replace or rebuild the pump. How old is the pump? 

The trailer is a 06. I bought it used so I have no clue how old it is. I have another out of a salvage camper I was going to swap it out with. If I ever get time. Hope I can get to it this weekend. 

22 hours ago, Danfreda1 said:

We had that happen for awhile and found it was our valve that that you turn to direct the water to fresh tank,city water,sanitizeanddry camp. I must have been off just a little. The pump would run for a second every hour to hour and a half. That was with a new pump too. Just had to make sure it was exactly pointing the right way. Just a thought. 

I thought I checked my valves but I will check them again.