1985 Winnebago chieftain recently purchased

Hello from sunny California. 

I found this Winnebago chieftain in a remote area for 700 the people had bought the property to flip it, trying to sell the RV for 7500. Eventually they got desperate, it was stored in the back yard and impossible to move without breaking the house. 😂. 

I took a train with my trusty co piolet Cujo and bought it. The lowest price for removing it was 800 and couldn't be done for a few days. 

I checked around the neighborhood, and found a great mechanic service. The mobile mechanic. Johnny was his name. He got his friend Dom towing to do it after his shift for 100.

He got the thing running for a cool grand, and it drove from morrongo to LA no prob. 

Darn thing has a vendor underdrive overdrive in it. 

Last night cujos eyes were dialated and he was acting aggressive late in the evening. 

This morning I woke to move it and as soon as I cranked it up I could smell gas. And it backfired a few times.

Johnny put an electric fuel pump and cleared the old yellow gas through. 

I'm new at vendor driving. I left it on auto last night. 

Any suggestions on what it could be? I'm boondocking and I don't like being a bother in neighborhoods to long. But, I'm apprehensive to drive it. 

BTW FYI I'm a woman. Living in RV.  Cujo is my lil white cat. 

Any feedback would be appreciated, luckily there's a auto zone a block from where we're parked.

thank you for your time, and interest. Lori

Welcome to the forums. I would bet that what you have is a GEAR VENDORS UNDER/OVERDRIVE unit. While I'm sure that the model you have is not still available, they do still make and sell an after market unit for the motorhome market. I suspect that if you would contact them they would still have information on what you have. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI