Report RV recall fraud

I have been unable to get reimbursement from Grand Design for a LP Regulator that was recalled and which I personally replaced. I contacted the NHTSA, the issuer of the recall and was prompted by them to make a report to the Federal Trade Commission. If you have had similar problems please report them to the FTC. They take action when there is a pattern of abuse.
Here's the text of my FTC report, as an example:
I received a NHTSA recall letter from Grand Design regarding faulty LP regulator. Letter stated that if repair had already been completed to send receipt for reimbursement. I had previously replaced the faulty regulator myself, so I sent the receipt to Grand Design.
They responded by email acknowledging that they received my receipt and requesting "the results of a LP drop test."
I responded with the results of the drop test,"The result of the test was that there was no drop in pressure for 4 minutes."
Their response was, "If it was performed yourself, we require a photo of the manometer while its testing."
I responded. "As you requested, I have reported to you the results of the drop test I performed after replacing the regulator.I did not take a photo of my manometer while performing a drop test in conjunction with the replacement of your defective regulator. Additionally, a photo would not provide evidence of a successful drop test as the test is dynamic and includes a time element."
Their response was in effect that since I could not provide a photo, I should hire a mobile RV tech to perform a drop test, then "Once this has been performed, please send the invoice with the LP drop test results."
Notice that they did not require a photo of the test being performed by the mobile tech, only if I performed it personally. They are required by federal law to comply with NHTSA safety recalls at no cost to the consumer. I believe they are making up reasons to avoid their responsibility.
I can provide documentation of these communications and of my regulator purchase.

RV warranties are at best, problematic. Usually they are worthless.

Eat the cost of the regulator and earn the right to gripe about them in the future, online and in person to everyone who asks.

Its a small price to pay. You get to freely post truthful but negative tweets, scathing facebook posts, and angry forum rants and these will cost that company more than the regulator reimbursement ever would have.

It's time these companies quit screwing their customers. (like that will ever happen).

Edited by podwerkz

On 5/24/2022 at 2:33 PM, Ray,IN said:

Sounds like you have taken the appropriate actions. I suspect their photo request is to reduce fraud. Such a picture contains, date, time, location, in the metadata when the photo was taken.

Photo metadata can easily be changed or removed. Just google “change photo metadata”.

5 hours ago, podwerkz said:

RV warranties are at best, problematic. Usually they are worthless.

Eat the cost of the regulator and earn the right to gripe about them in the future, online and in person to everyone who asks.

Its a small price to pay. You get to freely post truthful but negative tweets, scathing facebook posts, and angry forum rants and these will cost that company more than the regulator reimbursement ever would have.

It's time these companies quit screwing their customers. (like that will ever happen).

This is a recall which is completely different and more serious than a warranty claim.