Jump to content

Searching for a ClassA


Suzi
 Share

Recommended Posts

We currently have a 5th wheel and we are going to go back to a Class A.  We previously had a Allegro Bus.  We want to do a Class A under 35 feet.  We prefer diesel but know our options are limited.  We are looking at gas engines as well, but want to stay with the V8.

We are hoping to get advice from our fellow Escapees.  If any of you have a Class A under 35 feet can you tell us about your rig and the pros and cons??

Thank you!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forums! While we have downsized, we did nearly 12 years fulltime in a 36' class A gas rig and enjoyed it. In my opinion, the #1 advantage of diesel over gas is that most of them have air ride and it is without question the best ride of any class A and also more quiet with fewer dishes rattling. But we stayed with gas because of the initial cost difference. Another factor is the length of time that you would expect to keep the RV as most diesel motorhomes will outlive the typical gas chassis. For us, it was a case of cost versus value received and with the budget that we had, I would do the same thing again, even though it has been a long time ago. There is no doubt that a low budget diesel has more quality than an low budget gas rig, but the higher end gas class A's of today have nearly the cargo capacity and quality of the lower to mid priced diesels of similar size. The key is in what will make you and your spouse happy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had a 2010 Winnebago Journey 34Y and loved everything about it except we had not previously towed a car and that changed how we traveled. We missed having our short rigs be able to go anywhere at anytime and always having everything with us. Since you are coming from the fiver world you wouldn't have that issue.

Linda Sand

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Welcome to the forums! While we have downsized, we did nearly 12 years fulltime in a 36' class A gas rig and enjoyed it. In my opinion, the #1 advantage of diesel over gas is that most of them have air ride and it is without question the best ride of any class A and also more quiet with fewer dishes rattling. But we stayed with gas because of the initial cost difference. Another factor is the length of time that you would expect to keep the RV as most diesel motorhomes will outlive the typical gas chassis. For us, it was a case of cost versus value received and with the budget that we had, I would do the same thing again, even though it has been a long time ago. There is no doubt that a low budget diesel has more quality than an low budget gas rig, but the higher end gas class A's of today have nearly the cargo capacity and quality of the lower to mid priced diesels of similar size. The key is in what will make you and your spouse happy. 

Now where is that like button? One thing you left out or avoided saying is the higher upkeep of a diesel pusher, it it the most expensive method of RVing IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2022 at 7:59 PM, Ray,IN said:

Now where is that like button? One thing you left out or avoided saying is the higher upkeep of a diesel pusher, it it the most expensive method of RVing IMO.

I have a diesel pusher and the annual maintenance is not that expensive. I go to Freightliner once a year for service. Oil And filter change and annual service is only $550 and throw in the generator for another $250 for a total of $800. Less than a monthly stay at most RV Resorts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

I have a diesel pusher and the annual maintenance is not that expensive. I go to Freightliner once a year for service. Oil And filter change and annual service is only $550 and throw in the generator for another $250 for a total of $800. Less than a monthly stay at most RV Resorts.

I can service my 2018 Chevy DRW and portable generator for about $50 DIYS. I have a petcock on the oil drain plug and can drain the oil in any campground after a long pull. No cg has ever questioned me, the oil change is so fast they don't even know it happened (usually worked in while unhooking and doing camp set up). I've even change oil in a Walmart parking lot before the wife gets her shopping done. All it takes is a little planning ahead and being discrete about it. Been doing it that way for 10 years now, 5k oil changes almost to the mile.

We always thought we would graduate from our fifth wheel to a class A. But after researching the "potential" cost impacts, we decided it's more practical to just update our pickup truck as needed.

Edited by gjhunter01
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Twotoes said:

I have a diesel pusher and the annual maintenance is not that expensive. I go to Freightliner once a year for service. Oil And filter change and annual service is only $550 and throw in the generator for another $250 for a total of $800. Less than a monthly stay at most RV Resorts.

I did not mention any costs, I just said it is the most expensive method of RVing.  Speedco/Loves charges $400  for a DP oil N filter change, $80 for genset motor oil N filter. That's neither here nor there, it's still the most expensive method of RVing IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...