Time to upgrade your PC? These versions of Windows 10 just got their last ever security patches

RV_

If you don't like Windows updates don't do them. I just posted some good Linux distributions that you can run but bear in mind whether Apple OS', Linux, or Windows security updates are a fact of life in all OS'.

I do all Windows updates and the one time I got a bad update back when I bought several new machines for our company running Vista (Ugh!) and the manufacturers, HP notably loaded both the Intel and the AMD boot sequences in 2006 or 7 and on the first Windows update the AMD machines I bought called for a non existent Intel processor part and it froze the machines before boot without any screens.

Everyone blamed Microsoft but it was the manufacturers loading bad system software! IT showed up only after the first Windows Update. Once I got the right info I did a pre-boot registry edit and deleted the Intel call for our AMD machines and Voila! Problem fixed after a lot of stress over the machines I bought for us. It wasn't a Microsoft goof it was an HP goof.

So if you don't follow the instructions in this article because you don't like Windows updates you won't be offered any ever.

Fact not preaching to the choir.

Excerpt:

"Some older versions of Windows 10 have now reached the end of the road when it comes to security updates.

Microsoft is warning Windows 10 users to upgrade the operating system after releasing the final Patch Tuesday security updates to versions 20H2 and 1909. 

Windows 11 may get a boost in coming days as users still on the Home and Pro editions of Windows 10 versions 20H2 and 1909 upgrade to supported versions of Windows 10 and 11. 

"As of May 10, 2022, the Home and Pro editions of Windows 10, version 20H2, and all editions of Windows 10, version 1909 have reached end of servicing. The May 2022 security update, released on May 10, is the last update available for these versions. After that date, devices running these editions will no longer receive monthly security and quality updates containing protections from the latest security threats," Microsoft said in a Message Center update.

As a reminder, Microsoft's May 2022 Patch Tuesday addressed 74 security flaws in its software, most of which affected Windows, including a bug assigned the ID CVE-2022-26925, which was being exploited already but mainly affects Windows servers.   

Windows 20H2, also known as the October 2021 update, was released in October 2021. In January, Microsoft started auto-upgrading eligible 20H2 machines to Windows 10 21H2, the first version of Windows 10 to align with the Windows 11 feature release pace of once per year rather than twice. 

Windows 10 21H2, released in November 2021, will get 18 months of support, while Enterprise and Education get 30 months support. Windows 11 gets 24 months support and 36 months support, respectively for these editions. The Windows 10 update after 21H2 will happen in the second half of 2022.        

It is important for Windows users to move up from Windows 10 20H2 and 1909 as they will no longer receive monthly security updates, exposing them to a greater risk of being infected with ransomware or other malware. 

Microsoft will again start automatically upgrading non-supported versions of Windows 10 to supported versions via Windows Update.  

Windows 10 20H2 editions that won't receive further security updates include Windows 10 Home, Pro, Pro Education, and Pro for Workstations. Windows 10, version 1909 for Home, Pro, Pro Education, and Pro for Workstations reached end of servicing exactly a year ago.

For Windows 10 1909, the editions no longer supported are Windows 10 Enterprise, Education, and IoT Enterprise. Microsoft will direct these systems to upgrade to 21H2.   

Microsoft is encouraging enterprise customers on Windows 10 to upgrade to Windows 11. The company recently migrated 190,000 of its internal PCs to Windows 11 within five weeks, but was unable to migrate a portion of older PCs that didn't meet Windows 11 minimum hardware requirements. 

Consumers can download and run the PC Health Check app to check whether their hardware meets the system requirements for Windows 11 compatibility."

Original article with lots of related hot links and info is here:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/time-to-upgrade-you-pc-these-versions-of-windows-10-just-got-their-last-ever-security-patches/?ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&bhid={%24external_id}&mid={%24MESSAGE_ID}&cid={%24contact_id}&eh={%24CF_emailHash}

Safe computing!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire