"Road House"

Velos

I see frequent references to Costo, but I've never seen one of their stores. We have a Sam's Club membership and find their stores in most larger cities.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

1 hour ago, kb0zke said:

I see frequent references to Costo, but I've never seen one of their stores. We have a Sam's Club membership and find their stores in most larger cities.

There's only 572 Costco stores in the US, so it's probably pretty easy to miss them if you're not looking for one.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

COSTCO has made its way into nearly every US state. They operate in 46 states, plus Washington DC and Puerto Rico. Costco, the warehouse shopping club, continued to grow in 2021 with 572 locations in the United States. In 2021, the warehouse club had 131 stores in the state of California, but only one store in Delaware, Mississippi, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Vermont, and Washington D.C. It still had no presence in Maine, Rhode Island, West Virginia, and Wyoming

COSTCO locations      Texas has 35 locations and California has 131 locations(as of 2021)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

11 hours ago, bigjim said:

Interesting. I googled the number of Sam's clubs in the US and it came up with 600. Texas has the most locations with 82.

In early 2018 they closed around 60 Sam's Clubs including all of them in Alaska and Washington.  Some SKP friends were very unhappy they closed the Casa Grande AZ Sam's, since they were leaseholders at the co-op in Casa Grande.  I have not heard if they have opened any new ones.  I know Costco is still growing and has also been replacing older stores with larger new ones.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

8 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Slightly noteworthy is that Costco often builds close to Sam's club locations.

I can't help but wonder if that is not based on land availability more than a business decision.  In Colorado Springs, where we used to live, Costco was on the east and west of the city and Sam's on the north and south. Here in the Austin area there are 3 Costcos and 3 Sam's and none are close to each other. We have memberships to both and have found that Costco tends to have higher end products compared to Sam's when it comes to clothing, appliances and TVs and Costco food selections tend to more of the organic, sustainable, wild caught, etc. than Sam's. The big difference is that Sam's was started as a supply point for small businesses where Costco's target has been the individual. Obviously both are willing to take their money from either group.  In our travels we have also seen Sam's Clubs and Walmarts located side by side. We have shopped at some these colocated stores and found that often times Walmart will have identical items to Sam's at lower prices. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

16 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Never been a Sam's club in Canada. Just FYI.

Actually there were for a 5 year period but then they were all closed in 2009 as they were not "meeting expectations". I read that as they were not making enough money. 

1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

Actually there were for a 5 year period but then they were all closed in 2009 as they were not "meeting expectations". I read that as they were not making enough money. 

Research shows 1 still open in Ontario. Never seen 1, but we're a long way from the population dense region of Ontario.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

13 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Research shows 1 still open in Ontario.

If you use the link to COSTCO locations that I posted above, you will find that the Province of Ontario has 9 COSTCO stores. There are currently 107 COSTCO store locations in Canada. 

Edited by Kirk W

12 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

If you use the link to COSTCO locations that I posted above, you will find that the Province of Ontario has 9 COSTCO stores but none in the city of Ontario. There are currently 107 COSTCO store locations in Canada. 

I guess I was using Costco's store locator function incorrectly and therefore stand corrected.

3 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

I guess I was using Costco's store locator function incorrectly and therefore stand corrected.

I think that I did read that COSTCO has closed some poorly producing stores so it may well be that some of them were in Canada. I thought that I remembered something about them closing most of the stores in Canada, which is the reason that I went searching for them.  😊

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

If you use the link to COSTCO locations that I posted above, you will find that the Province of Ontario has 9 COSTCO stores. There are currently 107 COSTCO store locations in Canada. 

We were talking about Sam's Club stores, not Costco. Thanks for the link, though.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

We were talking about Sam's Club stores, not Costco.

This is from the first post in this thread.

On 5/14/2022 at 4:15 PM, Velos said:

Saw this article in the Costco Connection Magazine and thought it might be of interest to newer RV'ers. 

The story he makes reference to is not about store locations but it is about RVing.

Road House