Software That Is Similar to Quicken?

LindaH

I've been using Quicken for over 20 years and have always been happy with it.  A couple of years ago they changed to requiring an annual fee to use it (prior to that time, I could use the software for several years before upgrading).  

Well, I just got an email from them saying that the price is increasing to ~$60 per year!  So I'm looking for something else that does what Quicken does.  I do not use Quicken's online features like being able to download information from bank accounts or credit cards, so that is not an important feature for me.

I do not want an app on my phone -- I use Quicken strictly on the computer, no Internet access required.

Any suggestions?

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I've been using Quicken since the 80's.  I'm currently using Quicken 2000 Deluxe on Windows 10.  It does everything I need, double entry bookkeeping. 

Why do you need to change or upgrade if you don't need it to be current for downloading data?  Are you using it on an Apple device?  Do you upload your data into a tax software program?  Just curious.

17 minutes ago, durangodon said:

I've been using Quicken since the 80's.  I'm currently using Quicken 2000 Deluxe on Windows 10.  It does everything I need, double entry bookkeeping. 

And Quicken didn't start charging you to use their software a couple of years ago?  I was going to ignore their request to pay an annual fee, but when the date I was supposed to pay came and went, features of Quicken stopped working and I was forced to pay to get the software working again.

20 minutes ago, durangodon said:

Why do you need to change or upgrade if you don't need it to be current for downloading data?  Are you using it on an Apple device?  Do you upload your data into a tax software program?  Just curious.

No, I am not using an Apple device.  I use Quicken ONLY on my Windows computer.  And, no, I don’t download data into a tax software program.  While I do use a tax software program, I manually enter information.

I need to change to something else because they're upping the annual fee and I really have been pissed that they changed from me being able to purchase their software on *my* timeline to being forced into pay an annual fee.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

1 hour ago, LindaH said:

I've been using Quicken for over 20 years and have always been happy with it.  A couple of years ago they changed to requiring an annual fee to use it (prior to that time, I could use the software for several years before upgrading).  

Well, I just got an email from them saying that the price is increasing to ~$60 per year!  So I'm looking for something else that does what Quicken does.  I do not use Quicken's online features like being able to download information from bank accounts or credit cards, so that is not an important feature for me.

I do not want an app on my phone -- I use Quicken strictly on the computer, no Internet access required.

Any suggestions?

Linda, what you had written, appears as I had written the same, except what I had underlined.

The difference is I purchased new Quicken 2017 software. Also I do not connect from the internet when using Quicken and several other owned software. I also restart the computer before going back to the internet.

I have not been troubled with updates

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

15 minutes ago, ms60ocb said:

I have not been troubled with updates

I don't have trouble with updates, either.  That's not the problem.  The problem is that Quicken is increasing their annual fee and I'm tired of paying it.  I'm looking for an alternative.  Computer based, not an app or cloud based.  Free would be great.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

I have also used Quicken for much longer than 20 years and I have never paid a fee.  Like you, I don't use the online features.  My last version on my computer is 2009.  I see no reason to update as it does all that I want.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

10 hours ago, LindaH said:

And Quicken didn't start charging you to use their software a couple of years ago?  I was going to ignore their request to pay an annual fee, but when the date I was supposed to pay came and went, features of Quicken stopped working and I was forced to pay to get the software working again.

No, I am not using an Apple device.  I use Quicken ONLY on my Windows computer.  And, no, I don’t download data into a tax software program.  While I do use a tax software program, I manually enter information.

I need to change to something else because they're upping the annual fee and I really have been pissed that they changed from me being able to purchase their software on *my* timeline to being forced into pay an annual fee.

Okay, now I understand.  No, they have no idea I'm using their software.  I guess the newer versions are like yours, they were linked to the mothership and started charging to use what you already owned.

I would suggest that you buy an older version of Quicken on eBay or somewhere, like my 2000 version or 2gypsies 2009 version.  Only problem I see is that maybe the file system has changed and it won't accept your newer files, don't know.  HERE are some examples.

52 minutes ago, durangodon said:

I would suggest that you buy an older version of Quicken on eBay or somewhere, like my 2000 version or 2gypsies 2009 version.  Only problem I see is that maybe the file system has changed and it won't accept your newer files, don't know.  HERE are some examples.

I think my problem may have come when I downloaded Quicken from the Internet rather than buying the software from another source.

I don't think that I can go from my current updated version to an older version using the Backup feature of Quicken.  So, if I went to an older version, I'd have to start all over again.  

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Okay, I think I've found what I'm looking for -- Moneydance.  It's not free, but a one-time fee of $49.99.  I can live with that.  It's free to download and use up to 100 transactions which gives someone the ability to try it out before buying.

I downloaded the program and have started the work of changing everything over.  The layout is different than Quicken, of course, but so far it appears to do everything that Quicken does.  I like it enough that I went ahead and paid for it.

They do have an app that goes along with it, but the app requires a Dropbox subscription which has a monthly fee, so I will not be using their mobile version.

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

I also stopped using Quicken when they shifted over to a subscription model.  My needs are rather simple and have found that GNU Cash does the job very well.  It is open source and works on multiple operating systems:

https://gnucash.org/

Safe Travels... 

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

I downloaded and briefly tried out GNU Cash, but didn't really like it.  For me, I've found that Moneydance has a layout similar enough to Quicken that, so far, it's made the transition painless.

I'll update my experience with it once I've had a chance to really put it through its paces.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

This is a free one that I like if you want to try it. They also have a portable version on portableapp.com which is what I use on a flashdrive and can take it with me.

Ken....

https://moneymanagerex.org/

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

21 hours ago, LindaH said:

Looks like Money Manager Ex is app based?  I don't want an app-based money management program...I prefer one on my computer.  

No it's not. It's a Windows PC Program.

Ken....

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

30 minutes ago, hatrack said:

No it's not. It's a Windows PC Program.

Ken....

That's strange because when I went to the link you gave it said download for android which says to me phone or tablet, not a PC.

At this point, it's moot, anyway, since I have everything transferred over to Moneydance and, so far, it is working fine.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

1 hour ago, hatrack said:

It's a Windows PC Program.

Just wondering if you use the program? I have given some thought to a change and like the open source concept. I did find Money Manager EX and it looks impressive. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I think it depends on what device you go to the website as to what version it offers to download.  I went there on my Windows PC and it offered to download MoneyManagerEX for Windows 64.  Clicking a link below shows other computer versions (as seen in my screenshot).

There's also an Android version.  I assume if you went to their website on an Android device, it would offer that version to download.

moneymanager.thumb.PNG.5e31a08702e11131e543abd2e3ab8e09.PNG

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

On 5/13/2022 at 6:25 PM, Kirk W said:

Just wondering if you use the program? I have given some thought to a change and like the open source concept. I did find Money Manager EX and it looks impressive. 

Kirk,

I used it steady for about 3 years but I haven't used it much in the last few years. According to reviews it's a little tasking to setup, but I found that after a couple entries it got a lot easier to use. It used to come with a test database as an example, but I'm not sure it still does. I use the portableapps.com version of the software.

Ken....

Edited by hatrack
add more info

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450