North to Alaska...

Billy

I'm planning to make the trip to Alaska in 2023.  I don't care to go with large caravans, but would like to go with a small group of perhaps three RVs.  If anyone might be considering going with just one or two others, please contact me.  We have a year to plan, but it will go quickly.

Since you prefer not to do caravans, you might want to consider doing as friends of ours who thought as you do. They joined up as they crossed into Canada, traveled to Alaska together and then separated with an agreement to meet again for the return trip at a specific date and to reconfirm those plans by cell phone part way through the stay in Alaska, thus having company for the long trip only. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

There is an ongoing Alaska thread on a different forum of folks in the planning stage for both this year and next year. If you're interested it reading that thread I'll send the forum address by PM.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Having gone to Alaska twice by ourselves I'll mention that it's really not a difficult trip to do.  I always thought it would be difficult to travel with someone.  Everyone has different tastes in what they want to do, how long they want to drive each day (we sometimes just moved 50 mi or so), what kind of places do you you want to spend the night, etc.

The roads are paved and like in the lower 48, you'll have areas of construction.  It's not meant to be a fast trip so just take it easy.  We passed some of the same folks time after time.  Everyone goes to the same places.  The residents are extremely helpful, if needed.

On 'the other forum' , irv2.com - the Alaska section, I believe there is now a couple who will be sharing their adventure as they're traveling and they're on their way right now.  They have never RV'd before and just bought a new trailer and they're off!  

Perhaps you'll find someone to tag along with but if not, please don't hesitate to go by yourself.  It's many miles but it's not difficult.  I'd recommend going up on the Alaskan Hwy and returning on the Cassier to watch the grizzlies fish in August. What fun!  Most plan 3 months to do the trip, leaving around the end of May and returning the end of August.  Buy the Milepost for maps and general information on the history and areas.  We took turns driving each day so the other could enjoy the scenery.  We read from the Milepost aloud so the other knew all about the area we were passing. Get Mike and Terry Church's book, 'Alaskan Camping' which includes Canada and the Yukon.  They give RV parks, public campgrounds and boondocking spots.  We didn't use any RV parks.  Don't make a ton of reservations. That locks you in too much.  We just made for 5 nights in Denali Nat'l Park for Teklanika campground - the farthest in you can take the RV, and also the July 4 weekend. Alaskans like to camp, also. Those reservations were made only a few weeks prior when we could better judge when we'd be there.  As it turned out we were a little early for Denali so on a whim we boondocked nearby at a lovely spot and drove into the park early morning.  We easily secured an additional 5 nights in one of Denali's front campgrounds, Riley Creek.  Spending 10 nights in the park we have beautiful weather and saw 'the mountain' 7 of 10 days almost all day long.  We also saw every one of the big animals of the park - more than once.

Best of luck with your plans!

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

What he said above....

The only thing I would add....there are LOTS of places on the highway that you just want to drive.  There are lots of places on the highway that you want to linger.  Pick your "linger" spots.

I actually would split the trip into two....

BC and the Yukon, with slivers of Alaska.

Alaska.

You can't take enough time to do the trip.  So expand the time and limit the travel.  

I found the BC and Yukon much more interesting than Alaska portion.  Not that I would skip Alaska, but priorities.  

Oh, basically the Alcan is I-5 without interchanges and two lanes.  So travel is not an issue.  

The only other thing I would add is that I expected to do lots of boondocking.  The best spots are Provincial Parks.  So you end up in many cases staying there.  I was surprised at how little boondocking we did, but the choice was between a boondock gravel pit and a lakefront campground.

Do the trip...it is great.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

One way to sort of travel with a group is to decide how many hours or miles per day the group will travel. Then those who like to get up early and stop early do that while those who's rather start later and stop later do that and those who like to start early but make lots of stops along the way do that but every evening you are all together. Saves a lot of stress of the traveling together part.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

When we took our 2019 trip the other couple we planned to travel with had to cancel last minute.  We thought about postponing it until 2020 and so glad we didn't.  We took off by ourselves and only had 2 reservations: a week in Denali and a few days over the 4th.  We joined the Facebook group RVin to Alaska which gave us a feeling of belonging if we had any trouble.  I also agree the upper BC and Yukon territories were the most scenic part of our trip.  A couple tips:  bring an axe to split wood if you plan to stay in Provincial parks (you should!) they provide free firewood but you'll need to split it or scavenge when someone leaves.  And don't overlook having solar, our 400 watts kept our Foretravel fully charged due to the long daylight hours and we didn't have to conserve our electric usage.  Also don't follow the crowds.  When we got near Whitehorse we decided to stay in Carcross instead.  Had a wonderful experience there in a not crowded campground.  This blog post has a bit of info about Carcross:  http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/2019/06/short-detour.html

The feeling driving across the Yukon is one of total isolation.  It is remote and gorgeous.  You'll only see a few other vehicles and few small settlements.  Enjoy your trip!

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

2 hours ago, folivier said:

When we got near Whitehorse we decided to stay in Carcross instead.  Had a wonderful experience there in a not crowded campground.  This blog post has a bit of info about Carcross:  http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/2019/06/short-detour.html

Very nice write-up of Carcross!!   We did some geocaching in the Carcross desert.  Brought back good memories!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel