Maintain your safety distance!

rollinbrian

Aggressively maintain that distance.

If a car merges in to that space (or into the space of the car in front of you) and then slams on their brakes before you recover that margin you will be cited for following too closely.

2017 Jayco Designer 37rs "Fiona"

2007 Volvo 670 "Henry"

10 hours ago, rollinbrian said:

Aggressively maintain that distance.

If a car merges in to that space (or into the space of the car in front of you) and then slams on their brakes before you recover that margin you will be cited for following too closely.

This is why dash cams are a good idea too.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

1 hour ago, Star Dreamer said:

This is why dash cams are a good idea too.

Absolutely.  Ever since I had someone pull out in front of me in my daily driver and cause a single vehicle accident (I swerved to avoid t-boning him at 55 mph), I run a dash cam.  Had I had it then, it would have clearly shown him pulling out in front of me.  Because I didn't have it, accident was my fault.  My dash cam in the HDT is always on.

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

I wonder if others also notice fewer cars cutting in front of the HDT.  Maybe it is just because I know it is easier to stop but it seems I don't have to deal with it as often.  Don't get me wrong it still happens but sometimes we actually get to our destination without every thing in the 5er in disarray. 

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

2 hours ago, Randyretired said:

I wonder if others also notice fewer cars cutting in front of the HDT.  Maybe it is just because I know it is easier to stop but it seems I don't have to deal with it as often.  Don't get me wrong it still happens but sometimes we actually get to our destination without every thing in the 5er in disarray. 

Haven’t noticed less cutting in front, but there is a definite reduction of big trucks crowding the sides on multi lane roads.

The average small vehicle driver does not know air brakes require a longer stopping distance than hydraulic brakes due to small lag time ( .4 sec) in the compressed air system.

ref: https://trucksmart.udot.utah.gov/stopping-distances/

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

33 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

The average small vehicle driver does not know air brakes require a longer stopping distance than hydraulic brakes due to small lag time ( .4 sec) in the compressed air system.

ref: https://trucksmart.udot.utah.gov/stopping-distances/

The same goes for railroad crossings. How many know it take a typical train a mile to stop? How far away can you see an approaching train? Did you know a train running over a car has as much impact as a car running over a pop can? Please, don't race for the crossing.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Trooper and I reviewed the dash cam footage together.   Even though the lead car raced ahead of everyone in the turn lane and then merged in, he considered it a "legal merge".  That is, he signaled and didn't cross a solid line.  Therefore that space was now his.  I was already coasting at that point and let off so the Jake would kick in.  A second later (I haven't actually checked time on the camera yet but thats what it felt like) when all the traffic braked it was too late, my safety margin was gone, I hadn't reestablished it quick enough and then tapped the back of the car between us.

Edited by rollinbrian

2017 Jayco Designer 37rs "Fiona"

2007 Volvo 670 "Henry"

The average driver has no clue as to what is happening around them.  They drive for the moment and do not consider any future actions.

I feel that I spend 80% of my time driving for the idiots on the road and 20% of my time driving for myself.

Any time  I see and idiot blasting ahead to pass me or squeeze in an entrance lane, I am on my brakes and increasing my safety margin.  It is almost as if people did not read the same driver's manual that I read.  Never mind rules as long as they get where they want to be.

I run a dash camera 100% of the time the truck is being driven.

Good luck on the road.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I drove over 30 years for UPS both in the package cars but mostly in tractor trailers and at the time all the training and safe driving habits seemed silly, but they really do work. When we travel the wife will say I don't know why you're so tired when we arrive at a location, "all you did was drive "which my response is I am tired from driving for all the idiots around us. One safe driving tip they use is Stay back and See It All, but as described in the original post even your safe space can be invaded

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

and always have an out.  Had the Smith driving system for 27 years and defensive driving does work.  One thing they did teach us is that sometimes you have to be slightly aggressive to avoid a dangerous situation.

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

18 hours ago, TXiceman said:

I feel that I spend 80% of my time driving for the idiots on the road and 20% of my time driving for myself.

I experience it too.  I remember going through drivers training nearly 50 years ago and being taught that when we are driving a motor vehicle, we are in essence driving 5 vehicles.  The 1 we are operating and the others that are to our side and in front and behind.  That will make you tired for sure.  I embraced that ideoligy and practice each time I am behind the wheel of any motor vehicle.  It has kept me safe for the most part.  But as I am getting older, I realize that I must pay even more attention due to my reflexes and also due to so many distracted drivers making their decisions at the very last second. 

I can only do my best to keep myself safe, the rest is not really up to me.

Marcel

Take a motorcycle safety course and then apply that knowledge to everything you drive.  Always be planning an escape route.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I needed a rear view camera for the guy who crossed the white line then floored it just as I was changing lanes at the end of the white line. My car had to be towed from the crash site.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Not only maintain a safe distance but keep an eye on your mirrors. You may not hear an ambulance or police car behind you. This actually happened to me a couple months ago. I couldn't figure out why all these cars were flashing their lights at me. There was a state trooper behind me trying to get around. Light and sirens. I didn't hear a thing. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/9/2022 at 8:15 PM, rickeieio said:

Take a motorcycle safety course and then apply that knowledge to everything you drive.  Always be planning an escape route.

Agree. I've been riding for 25 years and still apply what I learned in my motorcycle safety course when I ride or drive my Class A or Jeep.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer