Front Living 5'er

Vegas Teacher

Howdy Ya'll!!!

14 days of school left counting today.

I am starting to look at 5'ers now. As we get closer to the work being completed on the Semi, I am getting more and more excited about saving and shopping for a trailer. I absolutely will not take out a loan, I will pick what I like then save every penny I can to buy it.

I looked at Montana High Country 5'ers, I looked at Fuzions also, but I am leaning toward a no on the toy hauler. We really liked the front living room with hind quarter bedrooms.

What brands do you like. I took to heart all of the bad reviews about Camping World, so they sell the Montana High Country 5er I liked.

Also if the customer service / repair shop at Camping World is bad, does anybody have a recommendation for good 5'er / travel trailer repair services when they are needed, we all know these trailers are going to have issues and break down, who is good and who should be avoided is always nice to know.

Later,

Vegas Teacher - Cory O 

Once upon a time, we had a FLR.  Initially loved, loved, loved the floor plan...until summer arrived and we realized that the A/C was not adequate for having my melon that close to the ceiling surface.  It simply radiated too much heat.  So, it wasn't the floor plan that soured us on the FLR, it was the engineering.  Buyer beware.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

There are some impressive front living floor plans and we have friends that love theirs. It can make a great space for entertaining as well as accommodations for overnight guests. As mentioned, however, it will be warmer “upstairs” as heat rises. That can be a plus in cold weather, not so much in warm weather. 

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Another thing to keep in mind, every single trip for a snack, drink, sink, bathroom or anywhere else in that trailer will be a trip up and down the stairs.

Loved our FLR while it was on the lot, HATED it after 6 months of using it due to all of the reasons above.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Spindrift raises a good point on the insulation, especially in the roof. Having more than one AC unit when you're based in Las Vegas is something else to consider. Ask if the AC units have SOFT START technology already installed; otherwise, installing Soft Start will set you back $200+ for each AC unit (but they ARE worth it in my opinion). I've NEVER heard of a  customer who has been happy with the financing and or service they've received at a Camping World. 

We have looked at the front living room units and     decided ...no way for the above reasons.  Plus, you get to looking at them closely, they lack storage.  Probably work as a weekend camper.

Avoiding Camping World and Gander is good advice.

Ken

Edited by TXiceman

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

One other item to look at with any 5th wheel is access to important items when the slides are in. Stuff like bathroom, bedroom, refrigerator, and microwave. The Front Living Models we saw, pretty much eliminated access to the bedroom unless you had the slides out.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

One person already mentioned the lack of storage which I agree with especially on the outside, now one with the bedroom on a raised floor offers more storage but as my wife said she does not want stairs on each end of the camper.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Jen and I looked at one the other day. It has the raised bedroom in the back. There is a massive storage area under there. I just don't know if I like all the stairs.  

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I have wondered about the massive storage in the rear basement as well as the front, and then you look at a ridiculously low cargo capacity.  Makes me wonder how many of these folks have actually weighed the loaded trailer.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

16 hours ago, TXiceman said:

I have wondered about the massive storage in the rear basement as well as the front, and then you look at a ridiculously low cargo capacity.  Makes me wonder how many of these folks have actually weighed the loaded trailer.

Ken

With an HDT I wild rather have the storage up front for pin weight. I imagine that huge rear storage area is to offset the pin weight so the trailer can be towed by 3/4-ton pickup. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

On 5/6/2022 at 3:01 PM, jkoenig24 said:

Spindrift raises a good point on the insulation, especially in the roof. Having more than one AC unit when you're based in Las Vegas is something else to consider. Ask if the AC units have SOFT START technology already installed; otherwise, installing Soft Start will set you back $200+ for each AC unit (but they ARE worth it in my opinion). I've NEVER heard of a  customer who has been happy with the financing and or service they've received at a Camping World. 

Who are the best at service and repair? I know it is only a matter of time before all of our trailers need something done.

And we're in Parkers Crossroads, TN right now getting some repairs done, 400 miles from home.  Good repair folks are out there.  Perhaps not convenient, but quality usually isn't.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net