What will you do this summer?

11 hours ago, Jim & Alice said:

After sitting out the last two Summers due to medical reasons (covid avoidance as well as 'other'), we will be leaving Wellton, AZ for our favorite workamping site, Hart Ranch, in Rapid city, SD.   After the Summer... Michigan for a few months to stay with kids & grandkids, then Texas for family there, then back to Wellton!   Life is good!

Glad to see that you will be escaping Wellton after having to be in the "no travel" mode. Have safe and enjoyable travels. We have a bad case of "hitch itch".

11 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

Glad to see that you will be escaping Wellton after having to be in the "no travel" mode. Have safe and enjoyable travels. We have a bad case of "hitch itch".

Thanks, Bob & Sally.   It feels good to be going again.   And I remember you well from some "how to summerize a motorhome" advice you provided.   Good to share experience!

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

We are only a couple of weeks into a 4 month trip that was planned when fuel was cheaper. Still doing the same trip, just going to have to request more money from my kids inheritance. We also have a fall 3 month tripped planned and a winter 2-3 month trip planned. 

We didn't retire to just sit at home. Our plan was to see the country and visit family and friends and we don't plan to change it.  When the money runs out, we may just have to move in with the kids sooner. I already made sure one of them has a spot for our truck and 5th wheel!

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

We are on our trip now and have not changed our plans. From Southern Texas to Richmond IN for grandson's graduation, then to IL, IA, SD, WY, MT, ID, UT, CO, KS, MO, IN till end of November. Then Southbound back to Texas and winter on Galveston Island Dec, Jan, Feb. Probably around 6500 miles total.

Yes its going to cost more just for fuel, but if we don't do it now, something else will probably happen next year. We are not getting any younger and neither is our rig.

Steve & Tami Cass, Fulltime Somewhere

2018 Ram 3500 DRW / 2019 Grand Design Solitude 3350RL S-Class. Texas Class A Drivers License

9 minutes ago, Steven@146 said:

Yes its going to cost more just for fuel, but if we don't do it now, something else will probably happen next year. We are not getting any younger and neither is our rig.

This may be the most important statement from this entire thread. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We're about to see the biggest recession we have ever seen in our lifetime. You need to enjoy this summer as much as you can. I believe the RV industry is only fooling themselves. It is going to crash hard soon. They make it sound like it's going to improve later this year. No way. I would not buy anything now if you don't want to regret it later. The RV sales lot that were near empty are now overflowing. Save your money if you don't need one now. 

We are ready to pay cash for our fulltime truck and rig right now, but no freaking way. We will stay in our current set-up for now.

Protect everything you have.

Just try to find a truck right now and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Try getting warranty work, accident work or other major work done on what you have.

Even rental cars are through the roof, if your lucky to get one in some places.

Can anyone else see the writing on the wall?

Diesel near $7.00 in New England and still rising!!!

Edited by markandkim

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

After winter in cen TX, we have made it to Ridgway SP, Colorado, to camphost for 4 1/2 months.  Little need for diesel during this time, and no campground fees.  Going to be another great summer, not sure what fall/winter will bring. Looking for another camphost gig in warm clime.

Camping with Dolly horse is a bit more complex this year.....diesel is expensive but many feed stores have ZERO HAY and many hay ranches have taken the year off due to not being able to afford the costs of growing hay.......

This might not end well.......

We used to do a bit better than this......

Drive on..........maybe........maybe slower and shorter trips??????

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

We booked the majority of our stays last August/September for our trip to the Maritimes including Newfoundland.  It's going to be an expensive trip diesel wise but screw it.  Originally there was going to be 2 other RVs going with us but one recently dropped out.....  We're going.  Currently visiting our eldest in Nyack, NY

2020 Dutch Star 4328, 2018 Grand Cherokee, Ready Brute Elite Towbar 

11 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

Camping with Dolly horse is a bit more complex this year.....diesel is expensive but many feed stores have ZERO HAY and many hay ranches have taken the year off due to not being able to afford the costs of growing hay.......

This might not end well.......

We used to do a bit better than this......

Drive on..........maybe........maybe slower and shorter trips??????

Meanwhile I have 20 acres of  grass hay anyone near me can have if they harvest it, no takers.  Indiana is overwhelmed with grass hay free for the harvesting. A friend just put up 30 acres of alfalfa, he said it's selling for $8 a square bale. Made me wonder who can afford to feed that hay? Meanwhile beef prices are near $140 per hundred pounds on the hoof. Wonder who can afford to buy beef in supermarkets?

It appears damaging the front cap or our MH this spring may work out OK. RV parks full, diesel fuel highest ever. So we stay home and enjoy it while our MH sits awaiting repairs.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We cancelled our planned volunteer position due to fuel prices.  We could handle $4.00 and a bit more.  We did find a volunteer position closer actually half the distance so the $5.00 plus works out to be the same.  That's not the only cost increase we've run into.  We go to Costco once a month and purchase 90% repeat items.  What a year ago  would have been $250. -275 crept up to $300 and now the last two months were low $400.'s.  Only bonus on the horizon is the truck will be paid off in Sept.  Of course that means it will probably nee some kind of repair.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

jjwicklund,  I am feeling the pain as well.  The great shrink dollar.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Just got back from two trips to Tennessee for a rally and camper repairs.  Leaving again in three days for a week long motorcycle adventure with other Olde Phartes in eastern KY, then in June we're going to Wisconsin for another week of motorcycling.

July we head to Fort Collins CO for two birthday parties and a couple weeks of riding, then in August there's a motorcycle rally in eastern Ohio for a week.  Finally, in mid September we head west again for more rv repairs in Tennessee, then a wedding in Arkansas, then on to volunteer at the Albuquerque balloon fest, with a stop at the National HDT rally in Kansas on the way home.

Damn the fuel prices, full speed ahead!!!! 😁  It helps when you nearly 2,000 miles of fuel on board.  We can scout ahead for relatively cheaper fuel.

Edit: I forgot the 10 days in northern MISS. in November.  Hopefully, all this will help make up for the year we lost while I built our truck bed.  Yeah, that's it.  We spent nearly nothing last year on travel, so now the sting of high fuel prices doesn't hurt so badly.  Repeat as necessary.......

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2022 at 8:34 AM, Kirk W said:

With all of the ugly news around, have you been reevaluating your summer plans? Will you modify your summer travels due to the increasing cost of fuel?

Fuel price may not be the only issue confronting travelers this summer/fall. Some news reports are predicting fuel shortages, 1970's era rationing (i.e. ever other day based on license plate) and wide spread electrical brown outs in the western half of the U.S. Having experienced increased problems getting places to stay the past two years, I have reservations for most of our mid-August through November trip. Not being able to get fuel every travel day could result in reservation cancellations and no guaranty of having a place to stay. In the event of rationing, during the times we are moving everyday, I will have to fuel in the morning and near our destination at the end of the day on my designated day to purchase fuel.

Our mid-August journey from the East Coast west to the mountain states often is marked by several days in the 90's to near 100 degrees. Lack of power at RV parks would be more than a minor inconvenience. Even at some of our mountain destinations, AC can be desireable on some days. I do have a generator capable of running the AC in the trailer. We have an all electric refrigerator so that is another concern during power outages in extremely hot weather.  Space on the roof for solar panels and weight capacity for a large battery bank are issues with adding much solar. I am considering switching to lithium batteries which would also require a new charging system.

For now still planning on travelling.

10 hours ago, agesilaus said:

I did not expect to see that.

Here in Mesquite TX (southeast Dallas) the diesel prices are $4.85 to $4.99.  Unleaded gasoline is $4.15 to $4.30. Those prices are as of Sunday morning, May 29. That is down by about around 30ȼ per gallon in the past week or so. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI