What will you do this summer?

With all of the ugly news around, have you been reevaluating your summer plans? Will you modify your summer travels due to the increasing cost of fuel? Based on our recent shopping, it would seem that prices for everything are rising whether travel related or not. We continue to make plans to attend Escapade as well as visiting friends and family in that general area for June, but have been reconsidering what we may do and where we may go for the remainder of the summer. Would you share your plan and your thoughts about your plans?/

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We are pretty much not traveling this summer and possibly the fall.  Looking at the crazy fuel prices and the rising cost of campsites, it would be an expensive summer.  Not knowing what the future has for us, we probably should try to limit expenses.  We have seen a lot of the country in the past 9 years, but there is still some we would like to see....the Pacific Northwest and New England.

A 300 mile travel day at 9 mpg would run us a bit under $200 with fuel at $5.50 per gallon.  And more if the fuel cost continues to rise.  Additionally, with the stock market, our retirement account and the interest from it will take a hit.

We will just stay local and get some medical issues taken care of since the Medicare deductible is paid for the year.

If you get a chance to travel, enjoy the trip.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

We were planning on a trip from Texas to Nevada via AZ and Utah and then back home through Calif.  I computed average diesel fuel prices  for the trip and rounded up to $6.00 a gallon.   With an estimate of total mileage it will work out traveling will work out to a buck a mile!!  A family health problem will cause me to cancel but I was considering canceling due to the price of fuel but I think it would still be cheaper to RV due to the high cost of motels and eating out.  

Right now first draft: do the Natchez Trace in May, back to Florida for appointments then up to the Escapade. Then head north up I75 into Michigan and the Yupper. Then across to Minnesota north country. Missing the black fly season hopefully. Then west to some where.

Fuel prices mean trying to have longer stays at stops, the inevitable recession may drive fuel prices down while it stops the inflation. Good for retired folks bad for working people.

Edited by agesilaus

We will arrive at our home base next week after 3 months in Florida, Georgia and North Carolina. Diesel has gone from less than $3.65/gal to over $5.25/gal so far during this trip. It looks like fuel cost will be about $700.00 more this year than for a similar trip last year. We will lay low for May, June, July and the first part of August. I will do some maintenance on the RV and try to cut back on other expenditures.   We are still planning on making our August, September, October trip to New Mexico. Already have reservations at state and federal parks for most of the trip. We average a little over 10mpg towing so each dollar increase in fuel means about a $100.00 increase in total fuel costs per 1000 miles of travel. I'm planning on a $1000-1500 dollar increase in fuel cost for the fall trip over last year's fall trip.  

Edited by trailertraveler

We just returned from Texas and in two weeks will be on a car trip.

Quick estimates places the cost per day some what equal.

Fuel cost cost higher with RV. Lodging and eating cheaper in RV. Sleeping in your own bed worth Millions

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

We are snowbirds, so typically don't travel during the summer.  We are taking a short trip to visit family later this month to pick up some stuff one of my sisters sent for me that's being stored at my brother's house.  But other than that, we don't have any plans on traveling anyplace else this summer.  We are still planning on heading south the latter part of October and return sometime the latter part of March, 2023.  We got stuck home this past winter and don't want to do that again if it can be avoided!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We will continue our 3,600 journey begun on 4/1 when we left southern New Mexico. So far, we have been through northern NM, AZ, UT, CO, WY and are now in SD. Passing through Cincinnati to see some grandkids, we will end up at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD, mid-June to be near more grandkids. No plans for long-distance movement after that for now...

Rob

Edited by Second Chance

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Departing Florida (home base) end of May and heading to cooler places for the summer with return to our sticks and bricks end of August - maybe into September. 

We're staying East of the Mississippi this trip and will meander our way through Nashville (we love Nashville - bring ear plugs if you go downtown) up to lower MI, over the Niagara Falls and then head South to meet up with some friends and eventually get home.

We've got all the key reservations set up and had great luck booking at Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds as well as some military family camps.

Can't wait - and NOPE, didn't let the pandemic issues slow us down... Looking forward to seeing everyone on the road!

2008 36 QSH
2017 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
BlueOx towbar and baseplates
Roadmaster Brakemaster

Remember, there is a real person on the other side of your screen...

Just sayin' ..... if a couple went out for a 'cheap' dinner every other week @$25/2 it would cost them $650.   Going out once a week = $1300.

So... I figure if you really want to travel and pay more for fuel this year there are ways to cut down a total cost of the trip.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We had tentative plans, but busting the front cap of the MH and the several weeks it will take to accomplish repairs put that on hold. Now our plan is to stay home and do repairs and updating to the house.

I also have 1/4 mile of farm fence to build this summer, and 3/4 mile of fence to rebuild; that's gonna be fun_. Anyone want to help?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We are full steam ahead with plans throughout most of the year.  We have a bit of a snag right now, but are working to get it corrected.  I have a couple more rallies to attend, a family reunion, a coast trip and some other local stuff.  We are doing everything possible to make all that work.  I know fuel prices will be high and I will be putting a lot of miles on the rig this year (I will have already done 5000 miles by the end of next week), but that isn’t stopping us.  

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

After sitting out the last two Summers due to medical reasons (covid avoidance as well as 'other'), we will be leaving Wellton, AZ for our favorite workamping site, Hart Ranch, in Rapid city, SD.   After the Summer... Michigan for a few months to stay with kids & grandkids, then Texas for family there, then back to Wellton!   Life is good!

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

We have a number NY State park visits booked into October when we'll close Gilbert Lake State Park for the season. In between we'll alternate between our NY and VT permanent sites. Basically, that means no changes for us. My attitude is that a $1.00/gallon fuel price increase only adds $100 to a 1,000 mile trip at 10 MPG, and our budget can handle that.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

All our future travel plans have changed. For the worse. It will be local camping only, and thank God we have a senior pass, or it would probably be camping in the driveway.

We're literally not very "happy campers" nowadays.

Edited by Kirk W
Removed political comment

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed  😀

Honda eu2200i generators

Daisy May, the Golden Doodle Wonderdog

4 hours ago, bruce t said:

Consider your fuel bill if you knocked 10 mph off your speed!

I think many RVers know what speeds give them the best fuel economy. After 220,000+ miles of travel, I know that the sweat spot for fuel mileage for my Duramax is 61MPH in 6th gear. On lower speed highways, 56MPH in 5th gear is best. Slowing to 51 or 46MPH will not save me fuel and likely tick off other drivers.

38 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

My attitude is that a $1.00/gallon fuel price increase only adds $100 to a 1,000 mile trip at 10 MPG, and our budget can handle that.

I did the same calculation and feel the same way. However, Diesel is currently more than $2.00/gal more than this time last year in the same areas.

19 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

So... I figure if you really want to travel and pay more for fuel this year there are ways to cut down a total cost of the trip.

I agree up to the point where what I have to change/give up decreases the enjoyment of the travel to the point where I feel it is not worth it.

We plan to do what we were going to do anyway, go north into the Pacific Northwest for the summer and then back to Arizona for the winter.  Last year that was about 4700 miles.  If we have to pay $7/gallon for diesel, that would be just over $4000 in fuel costs.  In 2006 we traveled 19000 miles going to Alaska from Florida and paid $7800 for diesel, in 2008 we traveled just under 12000 miles and spent $6400 on diesel, in 2012 we traveled about 11000 miles and spent $5600 on diesel, so we have paid more in past years than we plan to this year.  So far the highest we paid for diesel this year is $6.159/gallon in California.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

It might be an interesting and very crowded summer.

Went to my spring fishing lake.  Usually we have the lake to ourselves during the middle of the week.  Even last year, with COVID we only had company for a couple of days.

Not this year.  Packed both during the weekend and weekdays.  Weather was awful with cold rain on most days and even that did not deter the crowds.  If you drive over from western Washington you pretty much accept cold, rainy days as normal.

Talked to several folks and a lot of them just retired and are spending a month in one location just fishing.  They were planning on heading to the Rockies this summer.  You know how that "newly" retired folks act once free!!

I thought with airplanes flying again, and hotels opening up that there might be fewer people out of the public lands. 

Doesn't seem like it's going to work that way.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com