Air bags

Huckster

I have a 40' 5th wheel and used to pull it with a Ford F-350 DRW and I had air bags.  I think it helped the ride a little, the big thing was that it made the truck sit level.  My truck was a 2004, the newer trucks have higher towing ratings and air bags might not be needed, just hook it up and see how it does.

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

Welcome to the Escapee forums! What do you have in mind as a reason for air bags? If you are considering an air ride hitch, most people that I know who have used one would never tow a large fifth wheel without one. If your truck has the proper towing capacity to handle the trailer then you shouldn't need them on the axles but they might improve the ride and handling. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Depends on a lot of factors like pin weight, truck load capacity, trailer balance and extra weight in the box. In our case with out F350 DRW we have them but our trailer has 3400lbs of pin weight and we have a 50 gal aux tank, we only run 35 to 40 lbs in them but it levels the truck, helps the ride by keeping it off the overloads. We also have a onboard compressor so we can vary it from inside of the cab.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

Huckster, until you give us the GCWR for your truck, and the weight of your trailer empty and its GVWR as well as your real weights after weighing the trailer as it will be towedf, the weight of the truck with all passengers and gear on board as it will be loaded when towing your trailer, we can't help at all. 

You may need a bigger truck. So hold off on putting money in until you are sure. 

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

21 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

hilarious

Yep!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

You never said if it was a light weight 5er or a heavy one as well as whether the truck was a SRW or a DRW.  So, no one can help you without the necessary information.

I have air bags on my DRW with the truck to help the ride.  By weight, the air bags are not needed, but they sure improve the ride with the trailer.

So, you need to give us real world weights, loaded and unloaded before any meaningful information can be provided.  If it is a heavy 5er, and you have a SRW truck you may already be in trouble.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I agree, details of each are necessary to offer advice. I will state, if your 3500 is single rear wheel, you have it overloaded.

I pulled a 40', 15,500# 5er with a stock 2002 DRW, CC, Chevy Duramax for 8 years without any issues. That trucks GVWR was 11,800#, the 5er pin weight put it very close to maximum GVWR.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961