What type of RV/Brand to get?

Coach Whitty

My wife and I have been bitten by the RV bug! We have been watching all of the RV shows that we can find and are now regular Youtube junkies. The trouble we are having is deciding between Class A and Class C. We need to sleep 6 and have three dogs. We would like to stay less than 32'. We really like the River Forest FR3 30DS. We see so many good and bad reviews it is hard to tell the good from the bad. I would love to hear your thoughts on what you have found that you like.

TIA!

Welcome and my first first question is how are you using it?

I'm thinking your younger having to sleep 6. That stated I betting weekend or 1-2 weeks trip. Either will fit the need.

If your going to live in the RV a Class A may have a little more storage at a higher front end cost.

Often the difference between a good RV and a bad RV often is the Dealer. Will any dealer honor your warranty?

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

A few brands to consider: Tiffin, Newmar, or Winnebago would be my suggestion. You should really attend the largest RV show that you can find and walk through as many as possible. Take all 6 people to anything of interest and pantomime your daily activities to see if it will work out. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Find some Forest River review sites and start reading.

A Class A will give you more storage space than a C.

Since you'll be a group of 6 people think out the floorplan in case you have a weekend of rain and are stuck inside.  What ages are the children?  Some dinette sleepers are short.  Bunks are great for children to have their own space without having to fix up and take down bedding every day.  What is the holding tank capacity in case you're not on a full hookup site.  With 6 you'll need a good capacity.

As you'll be a new RVers it might be best to look at used ones as your first 'trial'.

Good luck!  

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

The FR3 30DS looks good on paper. My primary concern would be the need to make up beds every night. A bunkhouse plan would eliminate some of that. A toy hauler where you could put two sets of bunk beds in the garage area might be even better. I once saw a plan where there were two sets of bunk beds with a half bath separating them but I don't remember what it was or where I saw it.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Look carefully at the sleeping arrangements and the claims.  Some of the so-called beds are only suitable for kids or very small adults.

My choices would be Winnebago, Newmar and Tiffen.  Sure thay cost more, but they are generally worth the extra $$$$.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

51 minutes ago, BluegrassFan said:

I have been conditioned to check fresh water and holding tank capacities first. No sense in considering any RV that does not hold enough water. The closer you get to 100 gallons of fresh and 50 gallons each for grey and black the better. 

I also check carrying capacity. If you can't bring enough food and clothes how are you going to live? The general rule is about 1500 pounds per person but when you get more people you can lower that somewhat since you won't be bringing duplicates of everything. (Not everyone needs their own skillet.)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Welcome, Coach! The more you can tell us about your planned use the better we can advise you. Some thoughts: It sounds like you are going to be weekenders with maybe some vacation trips. That means that your rig will probably be parked for most of the time. You might want to consider a towable, rather than a MH. Bunkhouse trailers are quite common. A truck and trailer will cost you about what a MH and towbar will. Remember that not all vehicles can be towed as is. You may need to have either a tow dolly or a trailer for your vehicle. Don't think that you can get by without something else. We tried it. When (not if, when) you discover that you left the can opener home (yes, we did) what will you do? If all you have is the MH you have to pack up for travel and go get one. If you have another vehicle, you can use that. If you have a towable, the trailer stays at the campsite and the truck goes on the errand. As has been mentioned, check water capacity and sleeping spaces.

Our first RV was a Class C. We had three children, a boy and two girls. The girls got the overcab bed. Our son, my wife, and I slept in the "bed" that was created when the couch and dinette were both folded down. The bathroom was in the rear, so if one of the girls needed to use it during the night she had to walk across our bed. I was in the middle of the bed, with my wife on one side and our son on the other.

The kids are grown now, and my wife and I full-time in a 40' MH.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Coach, how about an update on your progress? Have we been any help and answered your questions? We are here to help and support you so please don't hesitate to ask more questions or offer comments. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI