Musk gets Twitter for $44 billion, to cheers and fears of 'free speech' plan

RV_

Without the politics how do folks here feel about this. I think it's too early to tell for me. But I was caught by surprise when this surfaced in the last few weeks. I didn't think it would happen and apparently it has.

"NEW YORK, April 25 (Reuters) - Elon Musk clinched a deal to buy Twitter Inc (TWTR.N) for $44 billion cash on Monday in a transaction that will shift control of the social media platform populated by millions of users and global leaders to the world's richest person.

It is a seminal moment for the 16-year-old company, which emerged as one of the world's most influential public squares and now faces a string of challenges.

Musk has criticized Twitter's moderation, calling himself a free speech absolutist, said that Twitter's algorithm for prioritizing tweets should be public, and has criticized giving too much power on the service to corporations that advertise."

Source:

https://www.reuters.com/technology/exclusive-twitter-set-accept-musks-best-final-offer-sources-2022-04-25/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm optimistic.  He's a brilliant guy with access to almost anyone he wants for advice.  He's on record as preferring less censoring of free speech.   That's, IMO, a key issue.  Basically, how to allow/encourage free speech while restraining noise.

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/25/1094671225/elon-musk-bought-twitter-plans

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

14 minutes ago, DanZemke said:

I'm optimistic.  He's a brilliant guy with access to almost anyone he wants for advice.  He's on record as preferring less censoring of free speech.   That's, IMO, a key issue.  Basically, how to allow/encourage free speech while restraining noise.

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/25/1094671225/elon-musk-bought-twitter-plans

When people speak of "free speech," they are usually referring to the First Amendment, however, the First Amendment does not apply to social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, or this forum.  It is amazing to me that few people understand the difference!

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

9 hours ago, pjstough said:

When people speak of "free speech," they are usually referring to the First Amendment ...

I wasn't.  Context matters.  I'm disagreeing with "they are usually".  Replace that with "some are" and we agree.  🙂

If the deal goes through, Musk can ban anyone he wants to, or not, just like Jack Dorsey did.

Edited by DanZemke
Clarity

4 hours ago, DanZemke said:

I wasn't.  Context matters.  I'm disagreeing with "they are usually".  Replace that with "some are" and we agree.  🙂

If the deal goes through, Musk can ban anyone he wants to, or not, just like Jack Dorsey did.

Agreed.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

Isn't is possible to admire someone or their achievements without worshipping them? 

Yes, I do admire Musk, and his achievements without worshiping him.  And I don't own any Tesla stock.

Edited by DanZemke
clarity

50 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

. We were on twitter but basically all conservative voices were banned. 

No, hate speech and advocating the overthrow of the US government were.  Some people don't like abiding by the terms of service.

Edited by hemsteadc

20 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Those who worship Musk of course consider it a good thing. Since I have never been on Twitter and have no plans to change that it really doesn’t impact me. To express more would be political. 

Kirk, using the word "worship" you did what you said you would not do!

So you did create a political environment.

And so, like the reason Musk is the owner of twitter. you are a moderator here, this will be deleted by you.

Hopefully someone gets to read this first.

I could care less about Musk, but you are running things here and have the ability to control them.

We'll see what happens when challenged with an opposing view that doesn't match the moderators. (the reason for the twitter take over)

Thanks in advance.

Edited by markandkim

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

13 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Isn't is possible to admire someone or their achievements without worshipping them? 

Absolutely. In some ways I do while in others far from it. Musk has had some amazing innovations and success. But I believe in questioning anyone before I jump on their wagon but to me it seems like that is often frowned upon. 

I suppose my skepticism of social media probably shows my age. 🥴

Edited by Kirk W
Add a comment

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Corporations on the other hand...... Got to think Musk has a bigger picture in mind regarding this purchase...tied into the Starlink internet service provider or something along those lines...dont know

14 hours ago, DanZemke said:

And I don't own any Tesla stock.

I don't either, at least directly, but now might be a good time to buy. I wish I had the disposable capital to do so. EVs and particularly Tesla are certainly not going away. There are two folks in our home base RV park with EVs and the other day I watched a fellow with a big motorhome unloading a Tesla from an auto hauler trailer along with his Can-Am Spyder and eBike.  

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

5 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

No, hate speech and advocating the overthrow of the US government were.  Some people don't like abiding by the terms of service.

But hate speech today is sometimes just common sense. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1