Winter 2022/2023 Reservations

Twotoes

I am a full timer and generally go south to FL or AZ for the winter season. I am still at my winter location in FL and leaving to head north in a few days. I called a couple of campgrounds today in AZ and FL to inquire about making reservations for next winter season. Both were already full and taking names for a waiting list. I am #20 on one list and #50 on another. I haven't even left my current winter location. Can't return to my current location next season because they decided to not do monthly reservations and will only do annual leases. Is this the new reality of RVing?

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

That seems to be the current reality anyway. We have reservations in place for state parks in Georgia and Florida for next winter through March 2023 so far. At sometime, the current COVID induced RV'ing bubble will likely burst, although I expect enough folks will have found RV'ing to their liking to keep up with it, so the "burst" may not be as relieving of the congestion as many of us might like.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

If you look at places other than AZ and FL, you can still find accommodations. When we left our winter place in southern NM this year, they asked if we wanted to come back next year. We have reservations at a military installation in NE MD from June of this year through December of 2023, so we said, "No."

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

There are likely a whopping ton of campgrounds (that aren't your regular spot, sure), that have space and have monthly leases, in those states.   It really boils down to your requirement of amenities.  The wife and I don't really look for those, so we have a lot more options available.  Just our way of looking at it.  But then, we don't have any friends somewhere to try to see or hang out with, expecting us.  That can make a difference.

There's also New Mexico.  I know we stayed in a place between Alamagordo and Tularosa (near the giant Pistachio!) that would be a decent tide over.

MyRVRadio - Streaming online 24/7 at MyRVRadio.com and via mobile apps! Content for RVers from RVers.   2018 Grand Design Momentum 399TH • 2019 Ford F-350 (DRW)
2016 Harley-Davidson Heritage • 2013 Harley Sportster with a sidecar
Web: https://MyRVRadio.com • Facebook: https://fb.com/MyRVRadio  

1 hour ago, Will B. said:

There are likely a whopping ton of campgrounds (that aren't your regular spot, sure), that have space and have monthly leases, in those states.   It really boils down to your requirement of amenities. 

I agree.  There are plenty of good RV parks that aren't the high class 'resorts'.  I have to smile when folks say "everything is full".

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

This will be our first year to winter in Florida so to be sure we researched a lot of places, found what we HOPE we like and fit our needs and booked for 3 months the day they opened for their winter reservations, we figure this way we had a spot and now can explore to see if somewhere else might be better. We hope one year to explore the Texas option as well.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

13 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Have you checked south Texas? 

Yes, but the RGV is having a lot of problems now with illegal immigration and after living 35 years in San Diego where I could see Mexico from my downtown office window, I don't want to be near the border. NM is too cold in the winter. Also I live full time in my RV and am not camping so not really interested in State Parks except for short stays. I need full hook up and 3 to 5 month stay not 14 days.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

1 hour ago, Twotoes said:

Yes, but the RGV is having a lot of problems now with illegal immigration and after living 35 years in San Diego where I could see Mexico from my downtown office window, I don't want to be near the border. NM is too cold in the winter. Also I live full time in my RV and am not camping so not really interested in State Parks except for short stays. I need full hook up and 3 to 5 month stay not 14 days.

One of the great things about RV'ing is the "something for everyone" aspect of it. My wife and I are fulltimers that prefer staying at state and national parks for the most part, only using commercial parks for brief overnights enroute to our next park. We enjoy the usually large sites often with foliage for privacy. Moving to another park every couple of weeks works for us since we enjoy the variety, typically mixing new to us parks in with the ones we enjoy revisiting. We also mix full and partial hookup sites in our travels, and I don't mind using our portable waste tank as needed for the partial hookup sites. Of course our style of RV'ing is not for everyone, but it's what we enjoy.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I like 2gypsies post. "Everything full", baloney. Since you are from S.D. you wouldn't want to come to Yuma. Shoot, there is vacancies here all winter and it has nothing to do with the border. Big parks, Mom and Pop parks, "resorts' as they like to call themselves, they are all here. 

I agree with the poster about Yuma. All kinds of parks at different price points and activity agendas. Also a note about the RGV.  Plenty to do and many parks have room. We spent part of the winter again in the RGV and have many friends in this area. I'm not worried about the border and the folks trying to have a better life. I have my political opinions and they may differ from someone else's but this forum is not the place for a discussion.

Dave

2004 Volvo 630 left tandem with 12 speed Freedomline

2014 Sandpiper 35 ROK 42' fifth wheel

Western Golf & Country Cart (EZ-GO frame)

Many snowbird RV parks offer current seasonal renters first option on the following season. Where we stay in Ft. Myers, they have an early reservation "party" in Feb. with a $200 early bird discount. Mar. 1 they open reservations to the general public.

Yes, the RVing world is crazy busy now.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The Escapees parks in Bushnell and Wachulla are already full. I've been to Yuma,(not the Escapee park) and  didn't like the area.  May go back to Saguaro in Benson AZ. I like State and National Parks but don't want to move every 14 days. Or may just go to TX and try it out, never stayed there except for a short stay in Livingston.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

On 4/27/2022 at 2:05 PM, Twotoes said:

The Escapees parks in Bushnell and Wachulla are already full. I've been to Yuma,(not the Escapee park) and  didn't like the area.  May go back to Saguaro in Benson AZ. I like State and National Parks but don't want to move every 14 days. Or may just go to TX and try it out, never stayed there except for a short stay in Livingston.

Check out the Harlingen TX area. The rates are approx. 1/3 those in FL, yet Harlingen is a big city only a hours drive from S. Padre island.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961