flat tow rating

ashton23l

I have a 2007 four winds hurricane 34b with the triton v-10.  I want to flat tow a car behind it, but i cannot find anywhere that gives a number.   I have a 5000 rated hitch, but i can change that. I am curious how much i can flat tow and where can i find that info.  

You should not exceed the hitch rating. Usually the hitch rating is established by the the gas MH builder due to frame extension strength, and or drivetrain limits..

My cousin exceeded the 5,000# hitch rating and burned up 2 transmissions and 1 engine before he saw the light.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Your owners manual for the chassis should give maximum towing weight and max combined weight. The one I used to own had all of the designed weight limits. Or it should be available from Ford if you search for wF53 chassis. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

17 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

You should not exceed the hitch rating. Usually the hitch rating is established by the the gas MH builder due to frame extension strength, and or drivetrain limits..

My cousin exceeded the 5,000# hitch rating and burned up 2 transmissions and 1 engine before he saw the light.

The hitch was put in aftermarket, I can easily change out the hitch, how many toads are under 5000 pounds.  i mean, that really limits the toad possibilities.  thats where my hang up is. 

Most of the more popular towed’s are in the range of 4000# to 5000#.  If you look at the Motorhome Magazine Dingy Towing Guides, I think you can get a feel for what is available at the different weights. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

FMCA towing guides.  I post that with a caveat; the ONLY 100% accurate recreational towing guides are each specific vehicles owners manual.

There are many flat-towable vehicles under 5k#, even  many Lincolns are under 5k#

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961