Broken Leaf Spring

jhqpzjg

Hi Folks,

I have a 2015 Gulfstream (Ameri-Lite) Kingsport 198BH travel trailer with a broken leaf spring. The trailer is several hours away and I don't have a way to get measurements on the spring to find a replacement part. I have already left a message with Gulfstream, who is unfortunately experiencing 'unusually high call volume'. I haven't had much luck with finding dealers that can answer my question, either. What I need is specifics on the spring, such as length, number of leaves, etc. so that I can locate a replacement. I know the axle has a 3500 lb rating, and I have the VIN and SER# for the trailer, as well. Anyone out there have this trailer, or know of a resource for finding this info?

Thanks,

Jason

Some spring mfgrs. sell individual leafs for springs, you need the same information + the length and thickness of broken spring. The downside is, when the leaf broke, the rest of them were probably over-stressed.

Pages 25-26 of this Dexter catalog explains how to measure and order springs: https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area/content_media/raw/2020.05_LIT-122-00.pdf

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

AS a minimum, change the total spring pack for both side of that axle.  Personally, I'd change the springs on both axles if it is dual axle.  But first, I would get the weight on the axles to make sure you are not overloaded.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Thanks for all your responses.  The biggest problem is that I don't have the measurements and can't get them without a 5 hour round trip drive.  I have had no response from Gulfstream as of yet, and their dealers have not been able to help either.  

I do plan to change both sides.  Makes complete sense to me.

I have heard some suggest installing a spring with a higher weight rating for better ride.  I would be concerned about this creating a stiffer ride, more vibration, and hence more wear.  Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Jason

I agree, a heavier spring rating might cause a very rough ride for dishes, TV's, etc. inside.

I did that with the MorRyde suspension on a 5er we owned; uprated to a higher load rating. The rough ride, IMO, contributed to a broken aluminum frame wall weld near the top, just aft of the rear axle. I should've stayed with the factory design.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I upgraded the 3 leaf 3k springs on my fiver to 6 leaf 3500# springs.  IIRC, I got the spring measurements off the Lippert web page and ordered the springs from Amazon.  Lippert customer service had no problem with upgrading the springs by 500#.  As far as it providing a rough ride, no difference than unloading 500# of cargo.

As long as you're doing springs, you might consider the Morryde shackles - huge improvement.  I also did disc brakes, a one size tire upgrade, Roadmaster shocks, and a Morryde X brace.

John, Jean and Mea the Super Springer Spaniel
2019 Entegra Aspire 44B
2022 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk