Visible Sim In a Tablet?

I have a Samsung phone with Visible and an Asus tablet that was at one time with Verizon.  Is it possible to put the Visible sim into the tablet? I know it's *physically* possible, but would I be able to stream on the tablet?  Yes. I know I can stream on my phone, but I really don't want to watch a program or movie on a tiny screen.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I'm no expert, but usually a SIM (when using a "regular phone account") might be locked to the IMEI of the intended device.  This isn't always the case.    Sometimes, too, the device (tablet) might be locked to a particular network.

I think the only real risk is that Visible detects that the SIM is on a new device and locks the account.  Again, not an expert, but this is likely the worst you'll have to deal with. (Other than, you know, it just not working!)

And lastly, the sim simply might not work at all, for none of these reasons!

MyRVRadio - Streaming online 24/7 at MyRVRadio.com and via mobile apps! Content for RVers from RVers.   2018 Grand Design Momentum 399TH • 2019 Ford F-350 (DRW)
2016 Harley-Davidson Heritage • 2013 Harley Sportster with a sidecar
Web: https://MyRVRadio.com • Facebook: https://fb.com/MyRVRadio  

I've had the SIM from my Visible phone installed in a Verizon 6630L hotspot for the past two years, Linda, and it works fine. I suspect your SIM would also work in your tablet. As far as I know, Visible does not IMEI lock any of their SIM's. If Visible was going to complain that I'm only using one of the three services I'm paying for, I think they would have done so by now.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

7 hours ago, Will B. said:

I'm no expert, but usually a SIM (when using a "regular phone account") might be locked to the IMEI of the intended device.  This isn't always the case.    Sometimes, too, the device (tablet) might be locked to a particular network.

I suppose the phone *could* be locked to Visible, but the tablet hasn't been on Verizon's network for quite some time since I no longer have a Verizon account and deleted the tablet from it before I ever quit Verizon, so I doubt the tablet is locked to Verizon.

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I've had the SIM from my Visible phone installed in a Verizon 6630L hotspot for the past two years, Linda, and it works fine. 

Thanks for that information!  I'm going to give it a try -- it either works or it doesn't.  

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

2 hours ago, LindaH said:

Thanks for that information!  I'm going to give it a try -- it either works or it doesn't.  

Yep, give it a try, Linda. And let us know how it works out for you...

Dutch

6 hours ago, LindaH said:

Well, it didn't work.  I put the Visible sim into the Asus tablet and everything booted up fine, but there was no cell signal.  Bummer.

You may have to go into your settings and change the APN.  I'm not familiar with the Asus tablet so don't know how to do it on your machine.

1 minute ago, durangodon said:

You may have to go into your settings and change the APN.  I'm not familiar with the Asus tablet so don't know how to do it on your machine.

I don't have any idea how to do that.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

3 hours ago, durangodon said:

Good point, and one I had completely forgotten about doing. The APN does need to be changed to VSBLINTERNET, but like you, I'm not familiar with the ASUS tablet network settings.

Dutch

44 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

What model ASUS tablet do you have, Linda?

The Model number is P00l.  Looks like it might be a ZenPad 10, but that come from Googling the model number.  There's nothing on the tablet or in the "About Tablet" in the specs that says.

In another place, it says ASUS Z10-af57.

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

5 minutes ago, durangodon said:

If your tablet is running Android, this may help.

Yes, it is an android.

I read the instructions and found where to change the APN so I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks for posting the link!

Stay tuned!

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

I followed the instruction for finding and changing the APN (thanks durangodon!) on my tablet and it worked!  I downloaded a few of the streaming services that we watch and it looks like we'll be able to stream using the tablet.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

6 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

That's great to know. Question can you stream live tv?

She can stream using any Android app that carries the programming she prefers, including live TV, just as she could on her Visible phone.

Dutch

11 hours ago, LindaH said:

I followed the instruction for finding and changing the APN (thanks durangodon!) on my tablet and it worked!  I downloaded a few of the streaming services that we watch and it looks like we'll be able to stream using the tablet.

Good deal.  Can you also hot spot from your tablet?

11 minutes ago, durangodon said:

Good deal.  Can you also hot spot from your tablet?

I didn't try it yesterday, but I was able to use it as a hotspot when it was on Verizon, so it does have that feature.  The problem with using it as a hotspot for streaming on the Visible network is Visible limits their hotspot usage to 5 Mbps which is not quite fast enough for a good streaming experience even with the resolution set at its lowest level on the Fire Stick.  While *some* videos play just fine, others do not -- too much buffering.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

36 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

That's great to know. Question can you stream live tv?

As Dutch said, yes I can -- I tried it yesterday with the Sling app which has live TV (although not the networks).  

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Dale P said:

I did not see where anyone mention you HAVE to change the APN.

Scroll back up the thread. There are half a dozen or so posts about changing the APN.

Dutch

• 2 weeks later...

But only for different services AFAIK. I got three lines from US Mobile last year at the same time . They were so cheap I got a third line for my got one line for my Surface Pro 7+ LTE and and our two Go 2 LTE tablets. I cn switch the SIM card between the Surface Go2 tablets and the Pro7+ LTE without any issues. That SIM card has its own number and all I do is turn off WiFi on each. They did have to do a tweak for the Surface tablet imei on first use. Don't know if that helps, another data point. 4g But great speeds.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

3 minutes ago, RV_ said:

But only for different services AFAIK. I got three lines from US Mobile last year at the same time . They were so cheap I got a third line for my got one line for my Surface Pro 7+ LTE and and our two Go 2 LTE tablets. I cn switch the SIM card between the Surface Go2 tablets and the Pro7+ LTE without any issues. That SIM card has its own number and all I do is turn off WiFi on each. They did have to do a tweak for the Surface tablet imei on first use. Don't know if that helps, another data point. 4g But great speeds.

Since you have three lines from the same MVNO, they all use the same APN, so switching SIM's between devices is not a problem. I don't know if US Mobile uses the standard "VZWINTERNET" Verizon APN or has been assigned it's own by Verizon or not. Tracfone phones using Verizon towers for instance, use the standard "VZWINTERNET" APN, however Verizon's  Visible subsidiary uses its own "VSBLINTERNET" APN. I have three devices that have the APN set to Visible, and my Visible SIM can be transferred to any of them with no other changes needed.

Dutch