No wifi media streaming device

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!

Surprised you have not received any responses. I am not an expert, If you are looking for live programing, satellite TV or satellite internet  may do what you want if your location has a clear view to the proper satellites. Old school would be recording video when you can or acquiring DVDs for playback.

Again, Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!  

15 hours ago, WillyB88 said:

We will be camping remotely and cell/wifi service is not likely available.

If you have satellite TV at home, you could take the receiver with you and use a portable dish.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

PLEX is a free media server that you can easily install on your laptop.  It can index all your downloaded video and music files so they can be accessed by the PLEX Roku app.  I assume there are similar PLEX apps for Firestick and Chromecast.  We don't bother to record video but we do have >300 CDs stored that we can access using PLEX.  We use those to supplement what we can get from Pandora.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

19 hours ago, WillyB88 said:

Looking for a way to stream shows and movies on an external HD without the use of (or need for) wifi. We will be camping remotely and cell/wifi service is not likely available. Camping with kids so trying to figure a way to watch some shows when needed. 

You are interchanging wifi and internet. Without cell service then a mobile hotspot will not work either.

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

If you have satellite TV at home, you could take the receiver with you and use a portable dish.

This is a good idea for watching movies, etc. depending on the level of service you have with Dish or DIrectv. We did this for a couple of years when we first started out and the cost was minimal as I was able to acquire a dish from a neighbors house that was no longer being used. The only cost was a tripod to mount it on. The downside to this was the difficulty I had getting it properly aligned everyplace we went which is why we eventually invested in an automatic portable antenna. 

2 hours ago, docj said:

PLEX is a free media server that you can easily install on your laptop.  It can index all your downloaded video and music files so they can be accessed by the PLEX Roku app.  I assume there are similar PLEX apps for Firestick and Chromecast.  We don't bother to record video but we do have >300 CDs stored that we can access using PLEX.  We use those to supplement what we can get from Pandora.

This is another great idea which would allow you to copy the movies you want over to a laptop or computer. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg