Trip planning

wtmtnhiker

I planned a trip out to Yellowstone from New Hampshire  and going to take about six weeks to get out and back. I felt that I needed to secure reservations for the entire trip because of the increased popularity of RVing and campgrounds being mostly if not totally filled most nights and especially on weekends and in the more popular areas. This is so contrary to the way I used to travel pre pandemic when I wouldn't plan more than a couple of days out. One of the problems with this sort of travel is that if I find an area that I really like and want to spend an extra day or two I can't because of the ripple effects of all the reservations I have going forward. Even worse would be if I had a mechanical issue and got delayed a day or two then every reservation would need to be canceled or rescheduled and I'd probably be out of luck with some of them if not most. Wondering how others have handled this and curious how many of you have run into these sort of issues or have you not changed the way you do things since the pandemic hit? Love to get your thoughts.  Thanks for reading.

Garry
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500

Do I ever agree with you on this! Until recently we never made a reservation except when seeking a spot for a month or more and for holiday weekends or high tourist areas. Last summer we traveled with reservations for each night, made before our trips began and we felt very restricted by it. I think that the current lack of RV sites is pushing the move to RVs with solar and other provisions for off-grid stops. Even as recently as 3 years ago we just called ahead each day, after we had lunch most of the time. I join you in hoping we seem some really creative solutions for those of us who have RVs that have little dry camping capability.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI