Looking for my first travel trailer; Winnebago Micro Minnie or ...?

sidpost

I have looked at some trailers but, the brands and models available are pretty limited in a Bumper Pull WITHOUT a slide-out.  I pull a lot of heavy bumper hitch trailers so, the towing aspect doesn't concern me as none of these can be as tough as my 8.5'x24' which is 12'6" high.  I'm getting a new 1-ton DRW pickup so, the travel trailers I'm looking at should be "a cake walk" for vacation bondoggle trips to national and state parks and limited Boondocking.  99% of my travel is solo so, I'm trying to keep the size down for general ease of use and to lesser degree less fuel consumpton.

Specifically, I'm looking at the Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708BH, not for the bunk beds but, for the floorplan as I prefer the bathroom layout and location relative to everything else.  I hope to see an Arctic Fox 22G next week but, I'm a bit unsure of the floor plan or wanting to longer trailer.  The 22G is used so, it is the essentially the same "asking" price as the 1708BH.

If I do the 1708BH, I plan on converting the lower bunk to a LiFeP04 battery compartment along with the other other components and some storage with the top bunk becoming all storage.  The 22G would probably be a better candidate for solar power and batteries though.

Both are 4-season trailers so, I should be ready for adventures up North in the Fall.  I hope to travel back to Vermont and Maine and I will also spend more time out West and possibly the Pacific North West.  Travel to Canada may or may not be with this trailer.  I'm assuming if it is rated for 4-seasons it has better insulation so, Arizona, Utah, and Nevada in Summer should be doable in terms Air Conditioning.

Am i on the right track?  What am I overlooking or simply have wrong in my approach?  I should not the used trailers I have looked were with established dealers as privates sales near where I live in Texas seem exhorbinant for whatever reason.

TIA,

Sid

Looking for my first travel trailer ...

I was unable to find any Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708BH, but did find a Micro Minnie 1700BH so am assuming that there is a typo in the name? I did find a listing for the Arctic Fox 22G on their website and so am comparing the two base on what is shown there. 

If I were to see the 2 trailers listed for sale with the same or similar price the Arctic Fox would be my immediate choice, assuming that it is in near new condition. With any used RV the condition of it is everything so without knowing more, I will just compare these two as they show on the manufacturer's website. The first difference that I see is there there is nothing on the Minnie listing to indicate that it is 4 season, and second is that it has only 1 axle. The bunk beds make floorspace extremely limited and you need to be very careful in adding weight to one side by changing what is located where they are as weight distribution in such a small trailer is critical to it handling well. I have been towing a very similar sized, single axle travel trailer for 10+ years with my diesel crew-cab truck and can tell you that a single axle trailer has far more tendency to porpoise on uneven roads than does a tandem axle trailer. I see nothing on the Minnie listing to indicate that it is a 4 season trailer (my similar KZ isn't) while the Fox clearly is and it has tandem axles. Comparing floorplans, the access to the Minnie's bed is terrible! If you compare the GVWR of each, the Minnie is 4200# and the Fox 7500#. These are totally different trailers in nearly every way.   

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Arctic Fox has a good name and reputation.  Our daughter and family had a Winnebago Minnie Plus and never had achy issues.  It was a better build quality than any of the Forest River and Thor products they had looked at.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I own a 2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB (Full Bed). This is the 3rd travel trailer I have owned in 20-years, all bumper pulls, and I also owned a Class C for one year (hated it.)

The Micro Minnie is indeed built for 4-season use and I put it to the test by just having spent the winter in southern Missouri and the last two weeks in northern Illinois. I also spent two weeks on Corpus Christie Bay and south Texas last summer. In all weather, the Micro Minnie held up great and kept me comfortable!

Edited by jodiboyd
mispelled word

Thanks!  The 1708BH was a brand new trailer I viewed in person about 50 miles away at the dealer.  I was told it was 4-season rated and don't have a reason to question the sales guy but, I also need to do due diligence to ensure I'm getting what I think I am.

Regarding the floorplan of the "bunkhouse" initially I was a pretty hard NO as I travel alone mostly and the bunks seemed like a poor storage solution.  Then I stepped into the 1708 with and without the "bunkhouse" option. 

• It was counter intuitive but, the "bunkhouse" had a much better layout and the bathroom was a huge step up, at least for myself.  The non-bunkhouse has the door at the rear with the shower/toilet/sinn in the corner which was really small in tight with a triangular shower pan of about 30",  with toilet right up against it, and a sink that was tiny and tucked the corner.  Better than squatting the woods but, not a big step up IMHO.  The shower curtain would basically bow out with me in it so, water all over the floor would be the norm.  The bed by the hitch was pretty typical just like the single dinette across from the kitchen.
  • The "Bunkhouse" had the bathroom to the rear with a mini-tub shower and a toilet that wasn't crammed against the walls or shower and lacked a sink there.  The door was mid-trailer at the foot of the queen bed and beside the kitchen and dinette so, a lot less wasted space for the "aisle".

Comparing the Artic Fox is a bit "apples and oranges" based on weight and general size.  The thing that takes me to the 1708BH is the solid construction, AZDEL exterior walls, and 15" tires versus the more common 14" option.  I really prefer dual axles but, on a 16'~17' trailer is a bit problematic.  Having a more compact trailer is attractive to me as the Artic Fox is a bit longer than I think I want and what will I do with the second bed?

• The Arctric Fox is a much bigger trailer but, priced the same as the 1708BH.  It has dual axles which is a big plus in its favor.  It his a lot heavier so, mixed feelings there.  I hope to see it sometime next week but, my initial research suggests it is a great trailer built right and, cold weather concerns with this one are minimal at worst.

Short single-axle trailers in the past were generally a little tippy and bouncy (not heavy enough generally to 'porpoise').  After pulling an enclosed 8.5x24 12'6" high enclose trailer during holidays and in urban areas, the thought of something shorter is VERY ATTRACTIVE!  I'm not living in it so, I question whether I really need to the extra space in teh longer Arctic Fox.  It will be much better for Boondocking and providing space and weight capacity for my LiFeP04 batteries and solar panels.

1 hour ago, TXiceman said:

Arctic Fox has a good name and reputation.  Our daughter and family had a Winnebago Minnie Plus and never had achy issues.  It was a better build quality than any of the Forest River and Thor products they had looked at.

Ken

Thank you!  Very helpful and specific!

16 minutes ago, jodiboyd said:

I own a 2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB (Full Bed). This is the 3rd travel trailer I have owned in 20-years, all bumper pulls, and I also owned a Class C for one year (hated it.)

The Micro Minnie is indeed built for 4-season use and I put it to the test by just having spent the winter in southern Missouri and the last two weeks in northern Illinois. I also spent two weeks on Corpus Christie Bay and south Texas last summer. In all weather, the Micro Minnie held up great and kept me comfortable!

Awesome and very helpful!

Both manufacturers have very good & long reputations for the products that they build. In terms of which is the better company, I would consider them to be pretty much equals.

I have owned a wide range of RVs over many years and lived in a 36' class A without slides for nearly 12 years. I am sorry if I have offended you.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If "4 Season" is what you're after be sure to compare closely what they mean by "4 Season".  It would be difficult to find one comfortable enough for bitter cold winters without adding some additional things yourself.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

1 hour ago, sidpost said:

I was told it was 4-season rated and don't have a reason to question the sales guy but, I also need to do due diligence to ensure I'm getting what I think I am.

The primary feature that makes a towable or motorized RV classified as '4 season' is enclosed and/or heated holding tanks and plumbing, and protected dump valves. 

Next, you are looking for things like better insulation and double pane windows. 

If you are scoping out any RV and the salesman claims it is 4 season, and you look underneath and see that the fresh and drain plumbing is easily visible and the holding tanks are naked...then you are not looking at a 4 season RV. 

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here. 

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

8 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

"Considered" a 4-season RV in the opinion of a blogger is a bit different than an actual rating. I choose to believe the Coachman manufacturers labels on the outside of the unit, especially after having spent the winter in one.

I am an owner and just spent the winter in the Coachman Micro Mini 1708FB, and was fine. Most nights were below freezing with many nights in the teens. I had zero issues with my holding tanks or water lines freezing.

It does have heated holding tanks, insulated Azdel walls, an 18,000 BTU propane furnace, and lots of good insulation in the ceiling and underbelly.

Why pay more for dual-pane windows (and the added weight) when inexpensive foil window insulation works just as well?

6 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Both manufacturers have very good & long reputations for the products that they build. In terms of which is the better company, I would consider them to be pretty much equals.

I have owned a wide range of RVs over many years and lived in a 36' class A without slides for nearly 12 years. I am sorry if I have offended you.

Thanks!  Sounds like I'm on the right track with what I'm looking at.

9 hours ago, jodiboyd said:

Podwerkz,

Why would you assume I don't understand what makes a travel trailer a four-season?

And from where did you get your criteria for a "true" four-season unit?

Why would you assume I was talking to you when I was quoting the OP, sidpost? I was not directing my helpful information to you. And did you see the word 'true' anywhere in my post? Let's not make this difficult, OK?

Yes, typical 4 season RVs have this feature: enclosed and/or heated holding tanks and plumbing...but if you don't care about showers or baths, running water, flushable toilets, or warm water for washing dishes, then heck..you can use almost any RV all year long, 4 entire seasons, even at the Artic Circle if you want. 

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here. 

10 hours ago, podwerkz said:

Why would you assume I was talking to you when I was quoting the OP, sidpost? I was not directing my helpful information to you. And did you see the word 'true' anywhere in my post? Let's not make this difficult, OK?

Yes, typical 4 season RVs have this feature: enclosed and/or heated holding tanks and plumbing...but if you don't care about showers or baths, running water, flushable toilets, or warm water for washing dishes, then heck..you can use almost any RV all year long, 4 entire seasons, even at the Artic Circle if you want. 

I apologize, I thought this was an open forum. As someone who owns and full-times in a Winnebago Micro Mini 1708FB, perhaps my input and experience during both winter cold and summer heat is helpful and relevant not only to the OP but anyone else considering this unit.

It IS an open forum but if the Original Poster (OP) asks a question and another user (such as myself) quotes a question the OP asked, and provides an answer or some other reply or comment, then the answer or reply is directed to them, primarily, but also to anyone else reading the thread with that particular question.

And yes, your personal knowledge about the particular RV referred to is relevant and valuable. 

Let's just call it a misunderstanding and let it ride.

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here. 

First, I want to thank everyone for their contributions here even though things seem to have gone a little off-track.

We all have different needs and wants so, some diversion from the original post's intent was expected.  "jodiboyd" in particular has put some confirmation into my thoughts on the 1708FB for colder and warmer weather travels. As others have noted, there are a lot of things to consider like balanced weight distribution on a single axle trailer being more of an issue than on doubles, along with a greater tendancy to "porpoise".

Edited by sidpost