Hot spots with the same password

D&J

We have two identical 5G phones on Verizon and was wondering if I can change both hotspots to the same password so I won't have to change things over on my connected devices like our Chromecast and printer.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

What I would do, but this might be overkill for most (I'm a tech guy), is implement something like a Pepwave device, that provides an entire network.  All the things connect to it's Wifi, and you never change those (we have 2x Echo devices, printer, laptops, the rig's networked stuff, a small server, and other little things, both wifi and hard-wired).   Then, in the Pepwave, you give it multiple Wifi profiles, for example, I have a "saved" connection profile for every time I've used a campground's wifi (that was worth anything).   If none of those are available, and it sees my phone's hotspot turn on, it connects to that.  If my wife's phone's hostpot is on, and mine's not, it connects to hers, thereby providing network access to everything.  In that situation, my phone connects to the Pepwave's wifi which is getting WAN service from her phone.

MyRVRadio - Streaming online 24/7 at MyRVRadio.com and via mobile apps! Content for RVers from RVers.   2018 Grand Design Momentum 399TH • 2019 Ford F-350 (DRW)
2016 Harley-Davidson Heritage • 2013 Harley Sportster with a sidecar
Web: https://MyRVRadio.com • Facebook: https://fb.com/MyRVRadio  

2 hours ago, durangodon said:

Yes.

ON EDIT:  Those other devices will still recognize each hotspot separately, not sure what you would gain by making the passwords identical except it might make them easier to remember.

Didn't figure it would that easy. With our 5G Verizon plan each phone has 50GB phone data and 25GB hotspot data and our Chromecast is a pain to switch between the two. I may just buy another Chomecast and a HDMI splitter to make to make it easyer. I'm going to get a HDMI to USB C adapter so we can mirror the phone screen to the TV and use more of the phone data. For $10  more a month for each phone we can increase hotspot data to 50GB if needed.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

I do what Will B Does using a Pepwave Surf SOHO router, but there are much cheaper travel routers from companies like GL.iNet (I have two models) and TP-Link that are under $50 that work fine.  They are mostly sold for motel travelers to share the wifi or ethernet.  GL,iNet and TP-Link travel routers are on Amazon.  You can do an internet search for "best travel routers 2022" to get reviews.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I also use a router. The printer, multiple smart TVs and Roku devices are all setup to connect to it so that I never have to change their settings. The router I use is capable of connecting to 2.4 and 5 GHZ wifi, ethernet and by tethering a phone or tablet. I find that tethering provides faster speeds than connecting to the phone or tablet.

20 hours ago, D&J said:

I'm going to get a HDMI to USB C adapter so we can mirror the phone screen to the TV and use more of the phone data.

Before you buy the cable, make sure your phone supports the use of one. Despite specifically asking Verizon for a phone that supported HDMI, I found that the Samsung phone they sold me does not. I can mirror cast to my Roku devices by wifi and it counts as on device data. At times the connection is funky and has to be restarted. It also seems that the phone needs a faster connection when mirror casting than when viewing on the phone. It is my understanding that all I-phones support HDMI. 

Edited by trailertraveler

27 minutes ago, trailertraveler said:

I also use a router. The printer, multiple smart TVs and Roku devices are all setup to connect to it so that I never have to change their settings. The router I use is capable of connecting to 2.4 and 5 GHZ wifi, ethernet and by tethering a phone or tablet. I find that tethering provides faster speeds than connecting to the phone or tablet.

Before you buy the cable, make sure your phone supports the use of one. Despite specifically asking Verizon for a phone that supported HDMI, I found that the Samsung phone they sold me does not. I can mirror cast to my Roku devices by wifi and it counts as on device data. At times the connection is funky and has to be restarted. It also seems that the phone needs a faster connection when mirror casting than when viewing on the phone. It is my understanding that all I-phones support HDMI. 

I will check on that, we went to Motorola phones this time because on my last two Samsung phones I had trouble with the USB ports, both old style and USB C.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

I use the same ssid and password on my home wireless and mt phone hotspot. That way all the wireless devices can be used with both with no changes to the connected devices.

2006 Chevy Duramax, DRW, ext cab, Long bed, Reese 18K hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo

Ham radio operator, WA3UOE

10 minutes ago, jpatrickc said:

I use the same ssid and password on my home wireless and mt phone hotspot.

Which works fine as long as you don't have both on and in range of the same devices. We did that with our router in the RV and the house. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I usually only have the hotspot on when I am using it so it has not been a problem. Prevents all those push apps from using data. I'm not on an unlimited plan.

2006 Chevy Duramax, DRW, ext cab, Long bed, Reese 18K hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo

Ham radio operator, WA3UOE