Mail Forwarding Service & RV Internet/wifi

Hello all.  

1) I'm new to RVing and at the end of April I am going full-time, with my home base as Orlando, Fla.    Overall, I feel like I can get by without a mail forwarding service because I can receive pretty much everything via e-mail.    What do people think about this?    Do you use the service Escapees provides or do you use another one?

2) I need to figure out how I can get quality and dependable internet/wifi that won't be affected by losing signal and dropping out or not being able to connect very well at all.   All tips are welcome.

Thank you.

Patrick

1 minute ago, Patrick Cunningham said:

Overall, I feel like I can get by without a mail forwarding service because I can receive pretty much everything via e-mail.    

What will you do for an address?  You have to have an address for your driver's license, insurance on your vehicles, health insurance, etc.  You can't *not* have an address of some sort.  If you don't want to use a mail forwarding service, do you have friends or family in Florida that would be willing to let you use their address as your domicile address and handle what mail you do receive for you?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

For internet, Mobile Internet Resource Center by Technomadia is the place to do your research https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ *.  they have guides on plans and gear.  Get started here - https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/getting-started/ .

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Hi Linda,

I don't have anyone who can receive mail for me and let me use their address, but the only stuff I receive at home that I can't change over to electronic is junk mail and that can just end up in the garbage.     I know I need to set up an address for driver's license and such, but forwarding of mail I won't need and if I need packages shipped to me, I will arrange for it to go to the nearest ups or fedex office to me.   

This is my first time using this and I don't know if I can respond to both of you in the same response but I'm trying it this time.

Bill, I will check out the link.  Thanks.

you have to have a domicile somewhere and that requires an address.  There may be a way to do it without some mail forwarding service but some things have to get to you by mail even if it is bare minimal.  I started out for a few months with a reliable friend but as dependable as they were it was not fair to burden them and was not as convienent to me.  That is most peoples experience for far longer than Escapees has existed. There has been traveling performers, business people, just plain travelers forever.

2 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

You will not be getting medical bills forwarded. Unless things have changed, they can't be, and they don't participate in 21st century technology.

Not sure what medical bills you are talking about but some of mine sure are forwarded by the mail service. Perhaps you are referring to the PO forwarding them. True enough that many items are actually labled. "Do not forward"  Those are forwarded by my mail service,

You need an address for vehicle registration renewals, voting, and any form you fill out asking for an address - doctor's office, medical insurance, vehicle insurance, social security, etc.  Escapees mail forwarding gives you that street address; not a P.O. Box.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

57 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Not sure what medical bills you are talking about but some of mine sure are forwarded by the mail service.

Yes, a mail service may, or they can email them.  I was referring to the PO if you just have an address you're forwarding from.  And medical bills often take a least a month to process.  It's a very slow, tedious process.

I've asked, but I've yet to find a single doctor or dentist who will e-bill me.

Edited by hemsteadc

42 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

I've asked, but I've yet to find a single doctor or dentist who will e-bill me.

They're catching up.  My cardiologist, dermatologist, ophthalmologist, and primary all use texts and emails to bill and remind of appointments.  Only my dentist and ENT do not.

All my auto, homeowners, and medical insurance is handled through emails.

55 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Renewed driver's licenses are mailed in most states. Replacement credit cards are mailed.

I don't know of any method of sending a driver's license or credit card by electronic mail? It may exist but I am not aware of it. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

30 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I don't know of any method of sending a driver's license or credit card by electronic mail? It may exist but I am not aware of it. 

When we got new driver's licenses in South Dakota in 2008 they gave us the new licenses right there in the DMV office--no mail required.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

4 hours ago, sandsys said:

they gave us the new licenses right there in the DMV office--no mail required.

In New Mexico I believe they do the same thing.  I know about 15 or more years ago I was here and titled and tagged a vehicle I was going to leave here they issue the title on the spot.  I have bee a Texan since 1953 and our wonderfull state has never figured out that is a good idea or how to do it.

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

In New Mexico I believe they do the same thing.  I know about 15 or more years ago I was here and titled and tagged a vehicle I was going to leave here they issue the title on the spot.  I have bee a Texan since 1953 and our wonderfull state has never figured out that is a good idea or how to do it.

South Dakota gave us our RV's license plates right there at the registration window as well. I've never known another state to be as supportive as South Dakota was of us full timers.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

23 hours ago, Patrick Cunningham said:

Overall, I feel like I can get by without a mail forwarding service because I can receive pretty much everything via e-mail.  

18 hours ago, Patrick Cunningham said:

I know I need to set up an address for driver's license and such, but forwarding of mail I won't need and if I need packages shipped to me, I will arrange for it to go to the nearest ups or fedex office to me.   

You will be receiving your license renewals and such via USPS as most states insist on that as a way to verify that you still have a legal address there. The same would be true for voter registration if you wish to vote. FL is a popular state for use as domicile and they do accept the use of a mail forwarding service for those purposes but I don't know of any way to avoid keeping a forwarding service unless you have a friend or relative who is willing to accept what mail you do receive and send it on to you.  Unfortunately our society does not accept that someone might be a constant traveler and allow you to have no address at all. The reason that FL, TX, & SD are so popular with fulltime RV people is that none of them have any state income tax, none of them require that you spend time in the state, all 3 accept the use of a mail service on your driver's license, registration, & insurance, and are mostly RV friendly. They are not the only states ever used, just the most popular. Since you are already established in FL, it does seem to make a lot of sense for you to stay there, but I know of no way to avoid the establishment of a mail service address, unless you have a local resident who is willing to act as your addressee. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 3/29/2022 at 12:06 AM, sandsys said:

South Dakota gave us our RV's license plates right there at the registration window as well. I've never known another state to be as supportive as South Dakota was of us full timers.

Linda

I have handicap plates and So Dakota does not have these plates available where you renew .  My handicap plates had to be mailed and Escapees mail forwarding sent them on to me at my location.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Bill, I checked out the video and it talks about getting multiple networks because one might have more signal strength than another in a certain area.   How is that done?   Is there some kind of combination plan allowing me to buy or subscribe to all of them, or do I have to set up an account with each of them separately?

25 minutes ago, Patrick Cunningham said:

Bill, I checked out the video and it talks about getting multiple networks because one might have more signal strength than another in a certain area.   How is that done?   Is there some kind of combination plan allowing me to buy or subscribe to all of them, or do I have to set up an account with each of them separately?

When we went full time back in 2008 I already had a T-Mobile phone and Dave had a Sprint one. We just picked which one to use as a hot spot depending on the signal each was receiving. Later we switched to Verizon because it had a reputation for receiving a signal in more places at that time. Now, all are fairly well covered in most of the country. Technomadia has an app called Coverage? which shows the coverage maps for most providers that you can overlay to see what's best for where you plan to travel.

Linda Sand

43 minutes ago, Patrick Cunningham said:

Bill, I checked out the video and it talks about getting multiple networks because one might have more signal strength than another in a certain area.  

Starlink may be the answer to all our communication problems.  They're working on roaming as we speak.  Years ago I was hopeful that we could get internet with our portable satellite dishes but I guess that's not ever going to happen.

Edited by hemsteadc

48 minutes ago, sandsys said:

When we went full time back in 2008 I already had a T-Mobile phone and Dave had a Sprint one. We just picked which one to use as a hot spot depending on the signal each was receiving.

Most, if not all, phone plans have limits on the amount of high speed data you can use in a month before being slowed down to what is euphemistically referred to as 2G speeds.  Data-only (hotspot) plans also may have limits but they often are larger.  Using phones as hotspots also means the phone has to be where you are which can be a problem if, for example, your spouse has taken their phone and gone shopping.  We have found standalone hotspots to be more convenient.

It puzzles me why so many people I encounter seem to have a kind of "brand loyalty" to their cellular provider along the lines of "I have a [name of provider] phone so I guess I'll get a [same provider] hotspot.  There's nothing that ties these two things together; your provider isn't loyal to you so don't be so loyal to them.  Find the best plans for the places you are going to be and use them.  Currently all the major carriers have data-only plans in the range of 100GB/mo for $50-60/mo.  Be sure to investigate both prepaid and postpaid plans; they are often rather different.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

As already stated you must have an address , even if you have everything you can emailed you still must provide a legit  address. What will happen when stuff is mailed to that address? Even junk must be “handled” Fortunately you aren’t the first person to think you don’t need one. That’s why you asked here from people who know.  , right?  This isn’t new ground here. Use a friend or family member or a mail service. It isn’t expensive at all especially if you rarely need mail forwarded. There are good ones right here in Florida… End of story

read further through the mobile rv site you were provided. We have 2 separate ( for awhile 3) Verizon and att  hotspots. And att unlimited phone .. hotspot on phone limited to 40 gig How much you need will dictate costs ..my wife daily video conferences and all our tv is internet… between 2-300 gig

rv mobile internet lists all the current options. More detail if you join. if your serious .. join. 
safe travels ! 

Edited by Wkjordan2

Passports have to be mailed, banks typically require a mailing address even though they can send you your bank statements by email. You need an address to file your federal taxes (and state if your state does income taxes). Debit cards when being used out of your home area typically want you to enter your home zip code. I suggest you contact everyone of your items (cell phone, satellite or cable TV, credit cards, retirement funds, insurance, etc...that you get by email to see if they will accept you not having an actual mailing address. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

3 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

Passports have to be mailed, banks typically require a mailing address even though they can send you your bank statements by email. You need an address to file your federal taxes (and state if your state does income taxes). Debit cards when being used out of your home area typically want you to enter your home zip code. I suggest you contact everyone of your items (cell phone, satellite or cable TV, credit cards, retirement funds, insurance, etc...that you get by email to see if they will accept you not having an actual mailing address. 

Vehicle and health insurance also tend to be based on where you live. Vehicle rates depend on the place where you, technically, do most of your doing. Health insurance tends to have in plan and out of plan rates with in plan being local and cheaper.

Linda