Days End Directory - How often is it updated?

franco-bolli

sorry if this has been asked before. I just bought the access to the days end list earlier this month after reading about it in the escapees magazine.

While I'm looking at it, it appears many of the parking sites are years old in the listing, some more than 8 years. Has anyone tried to stay at a place listed that the last update was more than 5 years ago?

I realize that this is crowd based and if folks don't contribute, that they listings don't get updated.

It's March 26th and the latest version of the directory is dated January 2022.  How often does it get updated?

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png                                             

Franco-bolli,

Guy Gipson maintains the database and has been doing so for years. You might want to contact him with your questions. His contact info is on the first page.

We have used the database as a reference and, if it is a fairground or similar facility, we always call to confirm whether they still allow RV parking even if the listing is current. If something has changed, then we normally email Guy with the info. We do not stay at pullouts or out-of-business parking lots so can't comment on that type of Days End.

Art

2016 Leisure Travel Van Serenity S24CB

The Trailer Life and Woodall's telephone book size directories had several teams visiting every RV park in the country.  They visited each campground in their territory at least annually to update the listings and coincidentally sell advertising space in the directory.  A small RV park where I stayed in the 1970s wasn't listed in either book, when I asked the owner he said he didn't think it was worth the cost because his park was always full.  Back then it cost $350 a year for a basic listing in either book and the price went up from there if he bought additional ad space.

Days End has always been a volunteer effort, originally it was simply places submitted by members and printed in the each issue of the magazine.  Over time the listings were compiled and made available for purchase, as far as I know Guy is the only one who gets any compensation for his time and effort. 

I assume listings are only updated when someone discovers one is wrong and sends the updated information to Guy.

Edited by Lou Schneider

4 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

I assume listings are only updated when someone discovers one is wrong and sends the updated information to Guy.

I believe this is correct.  The majority of places are easy to confirm if they give coordinates or good directions. You can then look on Google Maps to see if it would be suitable for you to use.  We used it quite often with our 40' motorhome; not businesses but on public lands.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

21 hours ago, franco-bolli said:

While I'm looking at it, it appears many of the parking sites are years old in the listing, some more than 8 years. Has anyone tried to stay at a place listed that the last update was more than 5 years ago?

As others have stated, including yourself, a site doesn't get updated unless someone visits it and sends in an update to Guy.  The Days End Directory website gives directions on how to send in an update.  

21 hours ago, franco-bolli said:

It's March 26th and the latest version of the directory is dated January 2022.  How often does it get updated?

Normally, about once a quarter, but I believe it was updated less frequently during the pandemic when people weren't traveling as much.  

I assume you downloaded the Directory rather than getting a hard copy...it's the best way to stay updated.  Guy sends out an email when a new Directory is available and you can go to the website to download the new Directory.

If you send in "x" number of reports during the year, the next year's subscription is free.  Send in enough reports and you can become a life member and never have to pay a subscription fee again.  The details are on the Directory's website.

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

thanks for the information. The first quarter is about up, so I hope that a new version will be coming out sometime in April. 

I downloaded the Days End information from the web site and have been looking through it to see where appropriate stops might be on my trip from the North west to the South East in May.  I've signed up for Boondockers and now Days End. So Between those two and RV wizard, I should be able to find plenty of places to stay over night.  I'll have to send updates to Guy as we use the listed parking areas.

Thanks again for the replies!

Safe Travels!

event.png                                             

16 hours ago, franco-bolli said:

I downloaded the Days End information from the web site and have been looking through it to see where appropriate stops might be on my trip from the North west to the South East in May. 

You can also use the Route Planning Map on the Directory's website.  Enter a starting and ending point and you'll get information about the Day's End entries along that route.

16 hours ago, franco-bolli said:

thanks for the information. The first quarter is about up, so I hope that a new version will be coming out sometime in April. 

On the Directory's website, there's an "Updates Log" where new information is listed before a new Directory is available.  You can always go through the updates to see if there are any changes/additions/deletions along your route.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

1 hour ago, LindaH said:

On the Directory's website, there's an "Updates Log" where new information is listed before a new Directory is available.  You can always go through the updates to see if there are any changes/additions/deletions along your route.

Thanks for the tip!  I found the logs mentioned.    I see that there are quite a few links offered at the bottom of one of the help pages.  The app "iExit" has a LOT of information that is helpful in showing what is off an upcoming exit..

It looks like Guy has been collecting very useful information for a while, Now I wish I had subscribed earlier.

Thanks again for the info!

It pays to due a little exploring on a web site that you are new to.

Edited by franco-bolli
grammer and spelling corrections

event.png                                             

On 3/27/2022 at 4:00 PM, franco-bolli said:

I downloaded the Days End information from the web site and have been looking through it to see where appropriate stops might be on my trip from the North west to the South East in May.

I'm not sure if you're clear on this, but if you use the route planning map on the website, it will be the most current information available, and includes items in the updates log.  So if you have internet access when you're doing your planning, I'd suggest using the route planning map instead of the downloaded version of the directory.

@Blues I hadn't investigated that portion of the web site until this morning.

Thanks for the tip!  Using the route planning on the daysenddirectory may have been mentioned previously, however, I may have passed it by because I currently have no fewer than 5 applications / options for route planning, not including  google maps or apple maps. I see now that the potential stop over areas are highlighted along the route. Very handy.

Each one of the routing tools has it's attributes that are useful, but there isn't one that combines all of the options.

I'll definelty be adding the Days end directory into the route planning rotation for upcoming trips.

Safe travels!

event.png