Living Fulltime RV and having back surgery

RVs can be a good place for recovery because nothing you need for daily activities is ever far away. Do check out what your surgeon says your limitations will be and how that would work in your RV. Getting up and down from a toilet is a concern with many surgeries. I was able to place my walker backwards over the toilet to use to push and pull against but my surgery was not yours.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

I was able to place my walker backwards over the toilet to use to push and pull against but my surgery was not yours.

Depends on your RV.... some bathrooms in a RV would not have room to maneuver a walker at the toilet.  😉  There are toilet risers, though.  Also, find out what your limitations will be.  Will you be able to use your shower easily?  Steps?

I agree, RVs can be an excellent place to recoup after surgery.  We did so after knee, shoulder, gallbladder, cancer, and hernia surgeries.  

Home physical therapy will even come to your RV home!  Best of luck for a successful surgery!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Welcome to the Escapees forums!

There is probably very little by way of surgeries that someone has not done from an RV. I don't think that there is an answer that is definitive. My wife had back surgery after we returned to part-time and we were not in the RV and it was less difficult by not being in the RV. One factor is the age of the patient. She was past 70 when she had hers and had some arthritis in other areas so she needed more assistance than would most people who are 10 or 20 years younger or in better physical condition. Another factor is the RV that you would be in. How large is the bathroom? Do you have steps up to the bedroom and/or bathroom? Will you be staying in one fixed location for the entire recovery and will there be help available? Do you travel alone, or with a partner who will be there to help? All of these are considerations so I think if you share more information you will probably get better advice. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI