Full Self Driving – Elon Musk Sheds Light On Tesla’s ‘Only Path’ Forward

RV_

If you are not interested in full self driving and want to know how it is developing, don't read this. (As if that advice will be taken by the naysayers!😉)

Lots of BS all over the Internet on who has the best full Self Driving approach and this article is very well put in what's needed and who has it.

A recent attack by a competitor has been exposed!

But to read it some very simple terms need to be defined

NNs = Neural Networks. Becomes clear in the article if read. Many answer here without reading then get their feelings hurt when what is clearly printed is pointed out. Don't get your feelings hurt?

ASICS = ASIC is an acronym for Application-Specific Integrated Circuits, or computer chips that are designed to do only one thing. Many in the Tesla community had excellent answers regarding this, and the thread opened up further conversation about Tesla’s AI."

Excerpt:

"Suddenly it makes sense why Dan O’Dowd is getting so upset and funding a smear campaign, doesn’t it? They’re losing customers left and right as OEMs realize they need to step up their game to compete with Tesla. The same broken tech won’t get them where they’re going."

"What Elon was saying was that the only path that he can see to success is hardcore, real-world AI software that has dedicated neural network inference acceleration ASIC chips in the car along with a multi-billion-dollar neural network training supercluster and over 10 billion miles of vehicle data. Tesla has all of these. Its competitors do not. We will see who is right in the coming years.

For those like me who are constantly learning new nuggets of information, AI inference accelerators are specialized hardware designed to accelerate basic machine learning computations while improving performance, reducing latency, and cutting the cost of deploying machine learning–based applications. If you want a deep dive into this, read more here."

Source with much more is here:

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/03/17/elon-musk-sheds-light-on-teslas-only-path-to-full-self-driving/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

It is fun to be close to Tempe Arizona, since many self-driving car companies are running tests there.  The cars also end up in the West part of Mesa.  The Waymo cars are the most obvious and there is no human inside those.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Bill, that's true in just Phoenix I believe. Waymo still relies on intricate mapping and shuns foul weather. I believe they are also the only one to kill a pedestrian crossing in front of one. Like Autonomous 18 wheelers they do best in well defined and mapped flat terrain. 

Waymo buys cars to install to and use them for their very limited well mapped cities. Who is using Waymo in production cars? Can we buy a waymo equipped anything yet for personal retail purchase yet from anyone?

Excerpt:

"Waymo already operates a driverless robotaxi fleet in Phoenix. That’s where the company opened the first fully autonomous ride-hailing service in the US on Oct. 8, 2020. Its cars have been ferrying passengers around the city for the past year and a half. But expanding to other cities has proven to be a technical and regulatory challenge.

Although Waymo has already demonstrated that its self-driving algorithms work safely in Phoenix, those skills don’t necessarily translate to other cities. The basic mechanics of driving are the same anywhere, but the driving conditions in flat, sunny Phoenix are markedly different than those in foggy, hilly San Francisco. Cars in each city have to follow a different set of state and local driving rules. Plus, most self-driving algorithms rely heavily on high-definition maps of the local terrain to operate safely.

“My guess is that the algorithms that Waymo was testing in Phoenix would work in San Francisco, but without testing and proper evaluation it would not be responsible to provide fully autonomous rides,” said Srikanth Saripalli, who heads the Center for Autonomous Vehicles and Sensor Systems at Texas A&M University.

In its blogpost, Waymo said it had tailored its algorithms’ driving patterns to accommodate San Francisco’s steep hills, frequent four-way stops, and high density.

Waymo also has to overcome a different set of regulatory hurdles in San Francisco. In Arizona, state legislators cleared the way for self-driving cars in 2018. California, by contrast, only granted Waymo a permit to operate a commercial robotaxi less than a month ago on Feb. 28. That permit stipulates that Waymo can’t charge people for rides unless there’s a safety driver in the car.

Self-driving cars, in other words, are a highly local technology. Although Waymo hopes to launch them soon in San Francisco, that doesn’t necessarily mean that many other cities will quickly follow."

Source:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/waymo-self-driving-cars-will-go-fully-driverless-in-san-francisco/ar-AAVrac8

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 3/26/2022 at 12:02 AM, RV_ said:

Bill, that's true in just Phoenix I believe. Waymo still relies on intricate mapping and shuns foul weather. I believe they are also the only one to kill a pedestrian crossing in front of one.........................

Not a fan of Google, nor Tesla.......BUT in the interest of truth....the pedestrian was killed by Uber.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

I will amend my poor wording to say that Uber was using Waymo Lidar tech, without permission. As well there was a human monitor in the car that killed the pedestrian who was watching video on her phone and not paying attention. A real preventable tragedy.

"Waymo v. Uber, the first great legal fight over autonomous vehicles, ended in a peace treaty Friday morning: Uber gave Google’s sister company a 0.34 percent stake in its business (worth $245 million or $163 million, depending on how you count Uber’s worth), and pledged not to use any of Waymo’s software or hardware in its vehicles. “I want to express regret for the actions that have caused me to write this letter,” Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi wrote in a statement posted on the ride-hailing company's website.

Waymo had alleged that when longtime Google engineer Anthony Levandowski resigned to start his own company, he took thousands of vital technical documents with him, including blueprints for the lidar laser sensor he had helped develop. Uber bought Levandowski’s startup a few months later for almost $600 million in equity and put Levandowski in charge of its struggling self-driving R&D effort. In Waymo’s telling, Levandowski and Uber used Waymo trade secrets to accelerate their efforts."

Source with much more here:

https://www.wired.com/story/uber-waymo-trial-settlement-self-driving-cars/#:~:text=Uber%2C the first great legal fight over autonomous,of Waymo’s software or hardware in its vehicles.?msclkid=ddcab721b7bc11ec8b099129a8a4731e

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

18 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Humans make mistakes, AI does exactly as programmed-by humans.

The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error.

😁

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

12 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

😁

Reminds me of the old joke about the first totally computer driven commercial airline flight. Just after takeoff the cabin speaker comes on. "This is your captain speaking. Welcome aboard the first completely computer driven passenger flight! As your captain, I am one of the newest 9000 series computers made and never make any mistakes. So sit back, relax, and rest assured that nothing at all can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, ............"

Edited by Kirk W
repair a typo

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...

Duplicate

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 4/2/2022 at 10:10 PM, Vladimir said:

Not a fan of Google, nor Tesla.......BUT in the interest of truth....the pedestrian was killed by Uber.

Tesla auto-pilot has also been involved in a fatal accident albeit not with a pedestrian. 

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/18/1073857310/tesla-autopilot-crash-charges#:~:text=Press-,Tesla driver is charged in a deadly crash involving Autopilot,killed two people in 2019.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

3 hours ago, docj said:

I thought we were talking about the Phoenix accident.

I don't think most people consider Tesla's self-driving.  If I were Musk I would get rid of the "autopilot" name.

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

52 minutes ago, Vladimir said:

I thought we were talking about the Phoenix accident.

I don't think most people consider Tesla's self-driving.  If I were Musk I would get rid of the "autopilot" name.

Is Tesla's autopilot like an airplane's autopilot where there is a pilot in the seat but autopilot is turned on so the human pilot does not have the same level of interaction?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 4 weeks later...

Linda,

Yes the Tesla Autopilot is very much like my Subaru Forester "Eyesight" at stage one where I am just using the cruise control function and am steering. It stops for cars in front of me but not for red lights (That is FSD or Full Self Driving) Then if I click it twice I get full steering on highways and it stops when a car in front of me stops so it has collision avoidance and an auto steer 100 times better than the Forester's.

I am used to skepticism especially here and around other seniors. I was told Tesla was a pump and dump her by several folks in 2003, and that Musk was a nut because he claimed he was going to go to Mars, and now NASA has a competition for the first Mars mission and spacecraft are being tested. Folks sneered and said there would never be any electric cars, then that they would be too expensive and then that they take days to charge and  . . .  spouting a bunch of oil industry generated multi million dollar misinformation campaigns. Like these:

Koch Brothers plan multi million-dollar campaign against electric cars link is one of hundreds.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/koch-brothers-lobby-against-electric-cars/#:~:text=The Koch Brothers are planning a new lobbying,the electric car%2C according to The Huffington Post.

Let me assure all that Musk has never failed in doing what he says he will do. He may be late, obtuse, over or under budget, not behave like other non-genius CEOs do, offend you or make your RV electric and equipped with Starlink mobile, but he will do it. And FSD is one of his highest priorities. He will git r done. And when I one day have to hang up my keys I will then activate the by then perfected Tesla FSD mode in my Tesla for which the hardware is already in every Tesla made nowadays. I won't call an Uber, just summon my Tesla.

Linda every Tesla owner knows the capabilities of Autopilot, and I for one like the name autopilot for our adaptive cruise control. And when we have Full Self Driving I'll call it FSD. Like you just asked, it is easy to wade past the oil propaganda like you just did if one wants to and just ask an owner or drop by the nearest Tesla showroom for a test drive and info.

Some progress cannot be stopped by oil BS to protect oil interests. The old adage applies: "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time."

So I'll post here when, not if, FSD is out of Beta for my friends here like you. 💯👍

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998