Washer/dryer recommendations

13 hours ago, Blues said:

That wouldn't matter in an apartment or a house, which might be why it wasn't mentioned, but in an RV, it's something to be aware of. 

I suppose it might matter to someone who boondocks but we rarely go without full hookups and if we do it is for just a day or two at a time in which case we just wouldn't do laundry.  I agree that the usage could be a concern in certain instances and would certainly depend on ones grey water capacity.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/19/2022 at 9:35 AM, docj said:

I find it unfortunate that so much of the information posted about unvented combo washer/dryers is second or third hand stuff, much of which isn't true.  I know you didn't have any ill intent in this case, but it's frustrating to see people re-posting items such as "don't get an unvented combo because they dump all the water vapor into the RV" when they've never owned or operated one.  

As you noted, unvented combos are popular in both Europe and Asia where they are often built in as kitchen appliances.  If space is a at a premium and access to an outside wall isn't practical, an unvented combo can be an ideal solution.  They sure wouldn't be that popular if all the negative traits attributed to them in forum posts were actually true!  😁

🤷‍♂️Yeah same thing with EVs. The most vocal folks have likely never even sat in ow let alone even test driven one, then tell me who has had one for two years now that my reports on it are not true based on their reading something from cherry picked sources. Those same people also rarely if ever post a positive about what they have no personal experience with using or owning. 😉🖖

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I just got into this thread and wondered why there is no mention of a propane fired dryer.  We had a natural gas dryer for years and it worked great.  Propane has similar available btu's as natural gas and every rv has propane.

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

🤷‍♂️Yeah same thing with EVs. The most vocal folks have likely never even sat in ow let alone even test driven one, then tell me who has had one for two years now that my reports on it are not true based on their reading something from cherry picked sources. Those same people also rarely if ever post a positive about what they have no personal experience with using or owning. 😉🖖

I hope you aren't directing that at me.  I haven't posted anything about EVs in a couple of years.  At present an EV doesn't fit into my lifestyle, finances, etc., but I'm not ruling out that maybe, in the the future, a city-EV might work as one of our our vehicles.  But unless things really change, I foresee the desirability of retaining an ICE-powered vehicle for the foreseeable future.  And, since I'm unlikely to be driving for ~>10 years, that probably means I'll have one for the rest of my life!

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

4 hours ago, orca said:

every rv has propane.

No longer true. RV's with the propane system deleted are becoming more common as solar systems and electrical appliances improve.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Joel,

I was aiming that at anyone who did that since 2003. I've been posting here since 2000 and about Tesla and Space X here on these forums since 2003. Few here in these forums read any link and when called on it back up and just worry about saving face for a really surly comment.

However, we've seen how peer pressure worked to dissuade me from having fun with Tesla and following EVs. NOT! As well after being disappointed with the failure to launch Teledesic by Gates and a Saudi Prince. Me, while stationed in Europe Jan 1990-Jan 1997, skied the Alps weeks every year and Zermatt Switzerland with no ICE engines allowed since 1978 was my first experience with electric taxis and trucks. Even the little ones there were very fast. I got bit by the EVbug there in 1992 - 1997 trips to Zermatt skiing around the back of the Matterhorn down into Cervinia Italy taking the Gondolas back up to Switzerland. The electric taxis were free and took us from our hotel to the lifts, back after a day skiing, then to the restaurant/bar for dinner and apres ski mass consumption. So I was an EV fan long before most Americans. Musk is my hero, he made them real just like he launches rockets without depending on Putin for RD180 Russian Rocket engines, like the ULA. So I take the naysayers with a grain of salt as Musk has actually done more and no doubt will keep doing more than the talkers can discount before he executes exactly what he said he would. Super fun to watch and be a part of. Driving one is a daily treat.

As you've seen here the grade school antics have had zero effect to get me to be hesitant about getting one. Like you I'm getting up there at 70. With all I've been exposed to with the military I may not be around past the actuarial lifespan for white males in the US of 75. YOLO!

A kid in a candy shop is not an acolyte, just filled with delight.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/9/2022 at 1:29 AM, RV_ said:

Joel,

I was aiming that at anyone who did that since 2003. I've been posting here since 2000 and about Tesla and Space X here on these forums since 2003. Few here in these forums read any link and when called on it back up and just worry about saving face for a really surly comment.

However, we've seen how peer pressure worked to dissuade me from having fun with Tesla and following EVs. NOT! As well after being disappointed with the failure to launch Teledesic by Gates and a Saudi Prince. Me, while stationed in Europe Jan 1990-Jan 1997, skied the Alps weeks every year and Zermatt Switzerland with no ICE engines allowed since 1978 was my first experience with electric taxis and trucks. Even the little ones there were very fast. I got bit by the EVbug there in 1992 - 1997 trips to Zermatt skiing around the back of the Matterhorn down into Cervinia Italy taking the Gondolas back up to Switzerland. The electric taxis were free and took us from our hotel to the lifts, back after a day skiing, then to the restaurant/bar for dinner and apres ski mass consumption. So I was an EV fan long before most Americans. Musk is my hero, he made them real just like he launches rockets without depending on Putin for RD180 Russian Rocket engines, like the ULA. So I take the naysayers with a grain of salt as Musk has actually done more and no doubt will keep doing more than the talkers can discount before he executes exactly what he said he would. Super fun to watch and be a part of. Driving one is a daily treat.

As you've seen here the grade school antics have had zero effect to get me to be hesitant about getting one. Like you I'm getting up there at 70. With all I've been exposed to with the military I may not be around past the actuarial lifespan for white males in the US of 75. YOLO!

A kid in a candy shop is not an acolyte, just filled with delight.

And what does this have to do with a washer and dryer? 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

And what does this have to do with a washer and dryer? 

Please feel free to report my post Glenn if you feel commiserating with Joel on second and third hand comments trying to contradict first hand comments is frustrating was out of line.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

43 minutes ago, RV_ said:

Please feel free to report my post Glenn if you feel commiserating with Joel on second and third hand comments trying to contradict first hand comments is frustrating was out of line.

Now let's talk about EVs!

Edited by Zulu
oops

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

:rolleyes::P

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 8 months later...

There are several heat pump dryers on market now. Have seen a few 120v units too. They are mostly 24" wide perfect for rvs. They are on the high side dollar wise but use very little power. I have no used one but intend too later.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

On 3/25/2023 at 5:40 AM, yegedox said:

Hello. In the market for new washer/dryer and wanted to try to leverage someone else's experience/research. Looking for high efficient with wifi connection to be able to schedule/control everything from my phone. No idea what other kind of specs I should be paying attention to in a washer/dryer. Want it to be stack-able if desired to do so.

I had made the comment last year in this old thread but I'll make it again. Ask which washer and dryer the poster advising you uses and why. I used EVs as an example of how folks tell me how they work but haven't even test driven them earlier and folks were really funny about the example. So let me use another.

Know how non-RVrs think we live like folks in a tent and always offer us a "Real Bed" in their guest bedroom? Or that we are rejecting family by running all over the continent because they will miss us but don't want to be that candid? They mean well. But know nothing about living in an RV of any type. Going glamping in RVs once a month or once a year does not give them the insight one who has lived in one for years has.

With the Internet folks can look up stuff and post about things and people they have never used or met.

We never had one because they take up precious space. Another may have one regardless. Besides the laundromat has bigger machines and we can do several loads at once.

Some folks have told me they do not use laundromats because they don't like using machines that other folks have used for their clothes referring to bacteria etc. Then I ask them if they ever have/had things dry cleaned? No dry cleaner will throw just one item in their chemical dry cleaning machines. So even those get thrown in with other folks' clothes. We don't have any problem with them. However we have our own in our houses.

Just ask which washer dryer they use and what they like or dislike about them. Like the folks who never RV'd by and large mean well when asking if we want to sleep in a real bed. And some others who don't have whatever appliance/RV/car/electronics item might be negative like the fox and the grapes.

Here everyone wants to help. 👍😊

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998