Fuel Caps

Av8r3400

With the advent of $5.00+ fuel, what is everyone's opinion on locking fuel caps?

The argument can be made that if they want the fuel, they'll just punch a hole in the tank, pull the drain plug or cut the fuel line for it if the cap is locked.

What is everyone's opinion?

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

4 minutes ago, Av8r3400 said:

With the advent of $5.00+ fuel, what is everyone's opinion on locking fuel caps?

The argument can be made that if they want the fuel, they'll just punch a hole in the tank, pull the drain plug or cut the fuel line for it if the cap is locked.

What is everyone's opinion?

Kinda like my camper cargo compartments, I'd rather just lose the stuff vice get my truck or camper torn up in the attempt.  I'll lock the doors, of course, but if you want my fuel, please leave me whole and undamaged. 

We full time, and my truck is always with my camper, so our risk is fairly low.  But - I'd rather replace stuff/gas than fix damage.

I will say, in five years of full timing, we have yet to have anything stolen.  Knock on wood!

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

My bride recently asked me if we had locking fuel caps.  My answer mirrored what AV8R3400 mentioned.  I'd rather loose a few gallons than have repair bills.  If they siphon out 20-30 gallons, that beats having them punch a hole or cut a line and loosing it all, plus repairs.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Remember when most farms had the 250 to 300 gallon barrels on a stand  and gravity was used to move the fuel. My grandfather had a tank the seemed to go empty faster than he was using it. He decided to put 30 gallons of water in the tank and soon found out who was taking the fuel. 

If you are concerned and not moving for a bit a few gallons of water in the tank would sure ruin someone's day if they chose to siphon from your tank. Of course they could ruin the day for you too. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

One of my landlords ran a trucking company.  He was having trouble with someone cutting air lines to siphon fuel.  He took an old garden hose and cut it in shorter pieces, and draped the pieces over the fuel caps.  No more lost fuel........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I'm not too worried about it. I just seen on the Omaha news people are not sucking gas out anyway. They are just drilling holes in the fuel tanks. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Just put on locking fuel caps. The truck is parked in our driveway with cameras watching. Although I do agree with less-effort, less-damage. I chose locking the caps.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

My truck was ordered with locking caps and it still has them. Most thieves nowadays just drill or knock a hole in the bottom of the tank to steal the fuel. Apparently, it's too much trouble to siphon it out. If they can only carry 20 or 30 gallons, they don't care about the other 100 gallons or so that drain onto the ground.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

• 4 weeks later...

At our shop, all our trucks and trailers are being hit for fuel.  We had many talks about locking vs leaving it.  Here they come armed with many tools and we figured better to leave it alone and eat the cost of lost fuel vs damaged tanks and vandalized/downed trucks.  Really depends on the area you are in.