Cummins ISX crankcase filter

Rotorhead

Hello All,

My crankcase filter keeps getting saturated with oil. When I took the cover off this time a little water came out with some sludge. The oil on the dip stick looks normal. I checked the drain line, it’s clear. As is the line coming from the top of the case. Why would it continue to get saturated with oil? There is a spring loaded disc on the left or front side. I checked that and it seems to be working, aka not stuck.

Thanks.

How many miles on the engine?  How much idle time has the engine seen?  Both of these factors would contribute to blowby; hence the oily filter. 

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Another contributor is not getting the engine hot.  Short trips, light loads, bad on engines, diesels in particular.

Are you driving the truck to work?  Letting it idle to warm up before heading out?  Bad, bad, bad.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

7 hours ago, spindrift said:

How many miles on the engine?  How much idle time has the engine seen?  Both of these factors would contribute to blowby; hence the oily filter. 

It has 893,000 miles and just over 26,000 engine hours. Not sure about the idle hours. Are those in the ECM as well?

4 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Another contributor is not getting the engine hot.  Short trips, light loads, bad on engines, diesels in particular.

Are you driving the truck to work?  Letting it idle to warm up before heading out?  Bad, bad, bad.

I do drive it to work. I don't generally let it idle longer that required to build the air pressure. 

I was going to order one of the maintenance free cummins crankcase filters, which basically has the big filter removed and see how that goes, but it's about 150$.

4 hours ago, Rotorhead said:

It has 893,000 miles and just over 26,000 engine hours. Not sure about the idle hours. Are those in the ECM as well?

That's rebuild time if it was being used in a commercial application so I'd say don't worry about it since it's unlikely you'd spend the $30-40K for an engine rebuild.

Yes, the ECM records idle time. 

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

6 hours ago, spindrift said:

That's rebuild time if it was being used in a commercial application so I'd say don't worry about it since it's unlikely you'd spend the $30-40K for an engine rebuild.

Yes, the ECM records idle time. 

Thanks. No rebuild in my budget. Oil samples are normal for now and no smoke so I’ll run it til I sell it.

3 minutes ago, Rotorhead said:

Thanks. No rebuild in my budget. Oil samples are normal for now and no smoke so I’ll run it til I sell it.

I hear 'ya.  Just not worth it unless there's something very, very special about the truck.

4 minutes ago, Rotorhead said:

I remove the original drain for the crankcase filter because the plastic was brittle and broke. I put a rubber hose on as a replacement. Hope that is ok.

Perfectly OK.  I've done the same to my truck.  Just don't park the truck on any white, concrete driveways or you may get run off.  :lol:

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

9 hours ago, spindrift said:

I hear 'ya.  Just not worth it unless there's something very, very special about the truck.

Perfectly OK.  I've done the same to my truck.  Just don't park the truck on any white, concrete driveways or you may get run off.  :lol:

Put my remendy on it.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1