OT: Sterilization of Water Tanks

SuiteSuccess

Just thought I’d share some information I learned that many of you may have already been aware of.  The beginning of each camping season, I sterilize my fresh water tanks and lines with bleach in the recommended concentrations. I normally just leave a gallon of bleach in the basement for that purpose.  What I didn’t realize is that bleach even in plastic jugs has a shelf life of only about six months to maintain full potency.  It will off gas even through the plastic over time so you may not be sterilized at all.  Best way is to purchase 70% Calcium Hypochlorite crystals and make a gallon by adding to gallon of water.  They will store forever pretty much without loss of potency.  Caution though they are HIGHLY caustic and are best stored in a sealed glass jar away from any food products, etc.  Other option is new quantity of bleach but be sure and look at “best use by” date.  BTW be sure and remove any filters from the lines before sterilization (sediment and carbon).

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

7 hours ago, Zulu said:

Use Purogene instead of bleach. Less caustic and does as much if not more than bleach.

$39.95 a quart. No thanks I will get bleach at dollar general. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.